#1 MirrorMan

MirrorMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8418 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:07 PM

God is Dead

Killing God

Have you heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly, "I seek God! I seek God!" As many of those who do not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter...

Whither is God," he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. All of us are murderers.... God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him...

Friedrich Nietzsche. The Gay Science (1882), section 126 < full text, German & English>

The first thing to be clear about here is what should be an obvious fact: Nietzsche did not say "God is dead." Just like Shakespeare did not say "To be, or not to be," but instead merely put them in the mouth of Hamlet, a character he created.

Yes, Nietzsche certainly wrote the words "God is dead," but he also just as certainly put them in the mouth of a character - a madman, no less. Readers must always be careful about distinguishing between what an author thinks and what characters are made to say.

Unfortunately, many people aren't so careful, and thus it has become part of popular culture to think that Nietzsche said "God is dead." It has even become the butt of jokes, with some people imagining themselves clever by putting into the mouth of their god the words "Nietzsche is dead."

But what does Nietzsche's madman really mean? He can't merely mean to say that there are atheists in the world - that's nothing new. He can't mean to say that God has literally died because that wouldn't make any sense. If God were really dead, then God must have been alive at one point - but if the God of orthodox European Christianity were alive then it would be eternal and could never die.

So apparently, this madman can't be talking about the literal God believed in by so many theists. Instead, he's talking about what this god represented for European culture, the shared cultural belief in God which had once been its defining and uniting characteristic.

Europe Without God

1887, in the second edition of The Gay Science, Nietzsche added Book Five to the original, which begins with Section 343 and the statement: "The greatest recent event

#2 MirrorMan

MirrorMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8418 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 10:51 PM

Actually God is not quite dead but it would be better if he died:

''Of course, it is perhaps better that God die rather than hang around unwanted like some Deus Emeritus - a doddering figure who has outlived its usefulness but refuses to accept a changed reality. Some residual authority might cling to it for a time, but its status as a supernatural has-been would be unalterable. No, it is better to put it out of its - and our - misery and get rid of it before it becomes too pathetic.''

#3 Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:08 PM

God is busy, please save yourself.:D

#4 Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:10 PM

God id dead, but I'm still alive....

#5 Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:15 PM

Thank god I'm an atheist. :D

#6 Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 12:47 AM

A dyslexic wonders if there really is a Dog.

lol

#7 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:17 AM

Even as an agnostic, I'm not willing to state that the concept of a supreme being has outlived its usefullness, though organized religion has certainly worn out its welcome. In its purity, one might say that religion was a miscalculation, in particular, since its creation was meant to bring peace and unity to the world and not the chaos, disorder and hatred its practice so often facilitates. Of course, that, is another falsehood of religion, a misrepresentation, if you will, since the true intent of religion was (and still is) to manipulate and control the masses in order to procure the agendas of men long since dead. Religion, is the disease, and God is the retrovirus. Until we can survive exposure without the contraction of disease, the menace will continue.. ..

#8 pg18

pg18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 02:52 AM

Organized religion-just like Communism-is a good theoretical idea. It is people that make it evil. If the leaders of either thing were incorruptable, then both would have succeeded brilliantly, but unfortunately, all people are inherently evil, and when put in a position of power, they will invariably abuse that power. Just like the leaders of the church during the middle ages that ordered the Crusades, or the Spanish Inquisition, it is all a case of people abusing their power.

IMO, organized religion is the greatest evil ever invented(yes, invented)by mankind. How many people have died because their religious beliefs conflicted with somebody else's? The current conflict in Israel for example, stemming from ignorance related to indoctrination of religion on a group of people. If religion is to survive as a viable way out for people, it needs to be decentralized, without so much emphasis on the belief that "our religion is right, so everybody else must conform to our ways or die"

Oh well, losing my train of thought, must stop now before i get too into the subject matter.

#9 marv

marv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:02 AM

God can't be dead. He never was! :D~

#10 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:04 AM

Controversial subject matter, to say the least.

#11 pg18

pg18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:06 AM

Yep, religion and politics, the only 2 subject guaranteed to get your blood pressure up(along with your middle finger)

#12 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:07 AM

.... and I will end my night on that light-hearted note.

:)

#13 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4275 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:56 PM

That is not dead which can eternal lie;
And with strange aeons even death may die.

#14 TDPushkin

TDPushkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11383 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:01 AM

God in ruins.

title of a book by the man who wrote:

mitla pass

exodus

etc.

#15 Guest__*