5 replies to this topic

#1 GorillaTheater

GorillaTheater

El Tigre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 06:29 PM

The "whitey anglo-saxon etc." thread brought this to mind. I know former King Simeon II is now leader of the government in Bulgaria, which strikes me as a bit...unique. How's he doing? Any thoughts on varied attempts by Simeon, Michael of Romania, whatshisface of Yugoslavia (Peter?) and Zog's kid (that tall dude) of Albania to reinsert themselves in Eastern Europe? Or for that matter the Romanov family in Russia? How responsive are the people over there to that sort of thing?

Thanks.

#2 Adrian

Adrian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1895 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 07:44 PM

Originally posted by GorillaTheater
The "whitey anglo-saxon etc." thread brought this to mind. I know former King Simeon II is now leader of the government in Bulgaria, which strikes me as a bit...unique. How's he doing? Any thoughts on varied attempts by Simeon, Michael of Romania, whatshisface of Yugoslavia (Peter?) and Zog's kid (that tall dude) of Albania to reinsert themselves in Eastern Europe? Or for that matter the Romanov family in Russia? How responsive are the people over there to that sort of thing?

Thanks.

There are some royalist in Romania that talks about getting King Mihail back, but they are maybe 15-20% only. I doubt it will ever happen.

#3 Strong Bad

Strong Bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

what is it - 8 or 9 kids? bet gorilla has his hands full. ;)

#4 STLRU

STLRU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

Adrian why on FAXE beer you have a Russian man's head. As far as I know. Dane and other vikings never had hornes on their helmets. It is the slavic tribes who took this traditions from Indo-Iranians. By the way the horned slavic palabians used to live on the land where is now Denmark. Do not forget, that all the Germanic tribes used to live in Scandinavia, before they spilled over and spreaded as far as France and river Volga.

#5 STLRU

STLRU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

The dreaded "horned helmet" associated with the Vikings in popular culture was, as most true folk know by now, not actually worn in the Viking Age - and certainly never in battle. No horned helmet from the Viking Age has ever been found. There is a small core of reality behind the fictional "Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo" helms, however. Ritual horned helms were used what is now Denmark in the Bronze Age from the sarmatian invaders (though the bronze horns were shaped far more like lurs than like cow-horns) and archæologists have found several Viking Age male figurines (including one from Kungsängen and one from Ribe) wearing what at first glance appear to be horned helmets. However, a close look at the earlier versions of the figure which appear on items such as the Torslunda helm-plate matrices (Vendel Age) shows that the "horns" are actually tipped with bird-feathers; and those on the Ribe figure appear to be whole birds. The heads are hardly recognisable on the Kungsängen figurine, but if one has the other images to compare it with, it can be seen that the slightly forked tips of the "horns" are probably meant to show open beaks. In fact, it is likely that these images may originally have shown either Óðinn himself, with his two ravens flanking his head, or else an Óðinn-warrior ritually decked out to resemble the god - a far cry from Hägar the Horrible and his cow-horn headgear!

#6 STLRU

STLRU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

About 620:

The Byzantines introduce the Varangian ("Pledged") Guard. Before 1066, this mercenary force was filled with Slavs and Norsemen, the most famous of whom was the eleventh century King Harold Hardraada of Norway. After 1066, many members were English.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru