3815 replies to this topic

#2041 EZland

EZland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12346 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:35 AM

----------------------------------------
I think you could beat the Yanks if you practised hard enough.
----------------------------------------
interesting...:)

VIVA O CRIQUETE!:D

#2042 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:36 AM

[QUOTE]Smith made his first one-day century

#2043 Shilka

Shilka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20852 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:48 AM

Ahh, the Ape Town game has just started. Newlands is a happy hunting ground for team SA, so here's a confident prediction of a decent win. :D

England won the toss and decided to field
South Africa Innings
50 for 1 (9.0 overs)

#2044 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:49 PM

108 runs is pretty decent. That is the price we pay for losing the standard 3 early wickets and bowling like Kallis. Also demonstrates SA's batting powerhouse in action. Smith, Gibbs Kallis. 3 shaky starts and 3 big partnerships to rescue them and almost leading them to 3 wins. :)

#2045 Shilka

Shilka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20852 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:35 PM

Was an OK game but that score of 290 odd was a bit flattering. On another day Kemp would have been gone cheaply and things would've been a lot closer.

In retrospect I'd say not playing Hoggard and possibly Solanki was a poor decision. Hoggard is surely the best bowler in the England side?

#2046 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:48 PM

Hoggy is certainly the most consistent. But, like Harmy this time, he got walloped in the last match. Doesn't help being down on our most economic bowler in Flinty. And I still don't know why Jonsey opens? Stroussy has excelled as an opener in tests so why not ODI's. Jones is just not a Gilchrist. Still, at least our Test number 3 problem should be solved. :)

#2047 Shilka

Shilka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20852 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

I'm guessing (could easily be wrong) Strauss is more of a classic test player who likes to take his time about things and bat sensibly.

An ODI is a bit of an instant rushed affair, maybe it doesn't suit his style of playing?

#2048 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:54 AM

I agree, but if he opened he would have more time to construct a meaningful innings. And, if he is unsuited to ODI's why is he playing at all? :confused:

35/3. 67/3. 44/3. Hardly the sign of batting solidity. :eek:

#2049 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:05 AM

"If you had offered me the chance to go home on the second I would have gone," Harmison admitted to reporters, "but that is just me and my character. Honestly, I think if Fred had been here I would have gone home."

Promises to be an interesting series...

#2050 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

Harmy should go home. He's a liability right now. Perhaps we should try James Kirtley again. He does at least have a match winning spell against SA under his belt. :eek:

#2051 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

Simon Jones and Kabir Ali would do apart from Flinty and Hoggard.:)

#2052 Shilka

Shilka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20852 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:41 PM

Originally posted by zxb
I agree, but if he opened he would have more time to construct a meaningful innings.

I'd also have picked Strauss as an ODI opener, but what do I know? :confused:

#2053 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

What do you know?!? We are all Cricket fans. We know everything. :D:cool:;)

#2054 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:39 AM

Yanks adopt rough twenty20 cricket. I feel that it will be somewhat more popular than conventional ODI's anyway. :)

#2055 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

SA 311/7. Once again a slightly dodgy start and then Smith, Kemp and Kallis take us apart and there isn't anything much we can do about it.

#2056 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:16 PM

England go down by 7 runs. Pieterson gets tonnage again. :cool:

I think that if Treco had been dismissed 1st ball we would have won. But the quivalent of nearly 3 overs went to waste. :mad:

#2057 Shilka

Shilka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20852 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:37 AM

Reminds me of one of those World Cup semi-finals we should have won against Australia. It was hopeless until Klusener came in to bat. He turned the game around and we were just about to clinch it when idiot Allan Donald caused a run out and we lost by next to nothing.

Still wonder about that game and whether there was bookie money involved......... :confused:

#2058 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:43 AM

After that match Lance said, "Nobody died did they? All we lost was a game.";)

Meanwhile the King writes about Tendulkar.

Batting Gods like Sir Donald Bradman and Garfield Sobers are brought into the equation. It is being made to look as if Tendulkar has faced any lesser bowling than we did in our times.

Lord of the Manor.

The Oz selectors have dropped Lehmann.

Flintoff has a horse named "Flintoff?" :D

#2059 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Shilka
Reminds me of one of those World Cup semi-finals we should have won against Australia. It was hopeless until Klusener came in to bat. He turned the game around and we were just about to clinch it when idiot Allan Donald caused a run out and we lost by next to nothing.

Still wonder about that game and whether there was bookie money involved......... :confused:

I don't remember either of those 2 players being accused of match fixing. As Cronje wasn't batting I think I would put it down to a genuine screw up. Like the 2 world cup games you stupidly tied. And the 3 run loss to the West Indies. last time round.

But it is still do or die time for us tomorrow. What we really need to fill out our team is support for our star South African batters. If we could get a Ozzie to defect and an Indian that should mean in 3 years time we can call a fast bowler with an average of about 23 and a skilled spinner with an average of 27 right? :)

#2060 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:35 AM

Let's not confuse things by comparing him with Viv or anyone else. He is a giant in his own right.

The Kid.

England are just warming up. Nothing to worry about now that you have this SAF defector batting like WG Grace.

His record is already outstanding. In eight one-day innings for England, he has made 442 runs at an average of 147.33. His runs come at 99.55 for each 100 balls faced. In the words of the old song: Who can ask for anything more?

I would love to see Pieterson and Flintoff at the crease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru