I feel sorry for you, but I'm glad I'm not you. :D

:angel:

#2482 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:28 AM

Wouldn't be dead for quids or born in another generation.

Hold the back page! Hold the front page! Hold every damn page! Something special is happening here. Of course it has been the best series ever played. Well, the best in the last quarter of a century anyhow. Allow a bit of room for journalistic licence. Of course it is not over yet, hardly half way through. Always risky to judge a play with the female interest tied up, the hero languishing in jail and two reels remaining.

Two matches to go.

May the better cop/con win.:cheers:

The heart says England but the brain says Australia.

:cheers:

#2483 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:29 AM

Wouldn't be dead for quids or born in another generation.

Hold the back page! Hold the front page! Hold every damn page! Something special is happening here. Of course it has been the best series ever played. Well, the best in the last quarter of a century anyhow. Allow a bit of room for journalistic licence. Of course it is not over yet, hardly half way through. Always risky to judge a play with the female interest tied up, the hero languishing in jail and two reels remaining.

Two matches to go.

May the better cop/con win.:cheers:

The heart says England but the brain says Australia.

Go Poms!

#2484 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:33 AM

At last came the relief of a final wicket taken in a blur of bumper, glove, celebration and despair. And then glory again as the home hero did not join his excited comrades but instead marched across to commiserate with his valiant but defeated foes. At that moment Flintoff demonstrated that he has greatness within.

#2485 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

Cricket would be interesting if they allowed body checking, like in ice hockey:D

#2486 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

,,,,better still if my opponent has a piece of wood to hit the leather with, and Dave Shepherd is there hopping around, every time the score is a multiple of 111, maintaining the peace.

Better than bombing people from 50,000 feet, claiming victory, coming down to earth, and then getting systematically screwed by mad virgin hunters every goddam day for almost two years after you claim victory.

Why should American or British or Australian boys die for what Iraqi boys ought to be doing in the first place?

If anything, it isn't sporting.

You have to be either English or Indian or Pakistani or Australian or New Zealander or Sri Lankan or South African or West Indian (collective euphemism for Guyanans, Barbadians, Jamaicans, Trinidadians, and a lot of other places) or Bangladeshi or WHATEVER to appreciate the beauty of cricket.

It unites people because it is such a fair game; it is rightly called the gentleman's game (not yet successful among ladies because they wear pants instead of short skirts which would kindle the viewing public's imagination.
;)

You can play the game for five days and have a quarter of humanity watch the game, end five days of frenzy without a result, but still appreciate Lee & McGrath versus Flintoff & Harmison.

Cricket unites people. :angel:

Yanks will be considered civilized the day they can learn to play with proper bats, run straight instead of in a diamond fashion, have stumps between the keeper and the ball, and politely ask "Howzaat?" or better still, just glance back at the umpire.

If I had a thousand quid (and I mean British quid), I would bet on England.

It is time someone beat Australia.

A part of me would hate to see Oz lose--even if this team loses, the Australian character of never-say-die has been displayed to the civilized cricket playing world, but it would be better for the game if the Wizards of Oz lose once in a while. Who better than the inventors of the game, the Poms, to beat them?:D

#2487 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

Cricket would be interesting if they allowed body checking, like in ice hockey

Some people actually like fast action sports and find it exciting.

Yanks will be considered civilized the day they can learn to play with proper bats, run straight instead of in a diamond fashion, have stumps between the keeper and the ball, and politely ask "Howzaat?" or better still, just glance back at the umpire.

Civilized or bored?

Individuals are civilized.

#2488 4321lynx

4321lynx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

.....body-checking like in hockey

----------------------------------

Bignose... from the front or in that sucker-punch way like you know who.
And do you like the fights too? Hockey could be a sport if they disallowed hooliganism.
And believe me, unless you have been brainwashed from childhood, there is nothing more boring than watching baseball. Dubya loves it - enough said.

#2489 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

Yanks will be considered civilized the day they can learn to play with proper bats, run straight instead of in a diamond fashion, have stumps between the keeper and the ball, and politely ask "Howzaat?" or better still, just glance back at the umpire

Ahem! Ahem! Dear Mr. AG!!!!! The oldest International series of Cricket is NOT (as one would think) between the Old Enemy (Poms) and Oz; but between Canada and the U.S.???!!!:shocknlau

#2490 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

That cant be counted. Probably Native American tribes playing.;)

Saskatchewan versus Comanche cannot be called Canada versus USA.:D

Jokes aside, good to see you back Trav.

If the Poms cant beat you now, they would have to wait for another generation. Good that Wasim and Waqar taught something to Andy and Simon.

Reverse Swing.

#2491 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:19 PM

If we can't beat the ozzies we on't be waiting for a generation. Only until Warne and Mcgrath are gone. :)

#2492 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

Warnie and McGrath probably have babies being named after them nowadays.

There is this assembly line that produces wizards of OZ.

Lillees go and Lees come.

It is that attitude that nobody else has.

#2493 4321lynx

4321lynx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Agnostic
[B]Wouldn't be dead for quids or born in another generation.
[QUOTE]

----------

But you missed the glory days of the '40's & 50's:-
Ramadin & Valentine; &Walcott & Co of the West Indies
And Freddie Trueman saying to Hutton in his stage whisper, " Gie-us t' ball Len an' I'll pin 'is foo****' ears to the foo****' saaghtscreens."
And you didn't hear the cheer for the dog that went up at Bramall Lane when Brylcreem Boy Dennis Compton was bitten by that little dog as he was trying to carry it off the field.

------

not many of us left.....:cheers:

#2494 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

[QUOTE]Bignose... from the front or in that sucker-punch way like you know who
And do you like the fights too? Hockey could be a sport if they disallowed hooliganism.
And believe me, unless you have been brainwashed from childhood, there is nothing more boring than watching baseball. Dubya loves it - enough said./QUOTE]

A good clean bodycheck is like a work of art.
Fighting is ok, once in a while,but having a player whose only skill is to fight is a big problem. The hooliganism could be stopped today if the hockey coaches benched or cut the bullies and cheap shot artists and focused on winning by playing better hockey, like Tampa did last year or like the speed and skill of the champions in Edmonton, Calgary and Montreal. Unfortunately there are still plenty of Bobby Clarke type hacks still being allowed to play.
Hockey is now as boring as Baseball, but they are still more exciting than Cricket any day of the week.
Dubya is more sacry than any hockey hooligan.

#2495 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:07 AM

It is you Yanks who are scary.

Imagine Michael Jordan or Edwin Moses bowling at 100 mph.:D

All you gotta do is get some expat Indians into the side and we could teach ya about reverse swing.:D

4321lynx,

I belong to the Charlie Griffith/Wesley Hall/Gary Sobers generation.

Wouldn't be caught dead for quids, again.:devil:

You know what Gary said when asked why he didn't wear a helmet?

"You got ball. Me got bat.":angel:

BTW, Comparing Dubya to hockey hooligans is insulting--to the hockey fans.

#2496 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bignose
[QUOTE] The hooliganism could be stopped today if the hockey coaches benched or cut the bullies and cheap shot artists... [/QUOTE]

No cheap shots and blood on the ice?! It would lose the only thing its got going for it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bignose
[QUOTE] Hockey is now as boring as Baseball, but they are still more exciting than Cricket any day of the week. [/QUOTE]

All American sports are boring, not because of the sport itself, but because of the culture behind it. The sports are OVER-COACHED to buggery! From junior high upwards.

People like M Jordan come along every now and then, and they remind us of how boring it normally is.

And then back to Shaquille O'Neil who at 7'3" jumps 3 inches in the air to dunk the ball, and then turns to the cheering crowd to pose, as if he acheived something noteworthy. WhoTF are they trying to kid!

You need a science degree to understand some of those plays in gridiron. Now that is a boring sport!

Cricket is the third best sport in the world behind aussie rules and basketball.

#2497 4321lynx

4321lynx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

Bignose-- Agreed, but the fights should last no longer than in CFL or NFL, and should be punished as "severely". But face it, the game would lose half its following, even if everybody played it
nearly as well as Gretzki did. They are there for the fights, they would switch to wrestling etc.
The NFL is certainly overcoached, but still exciting, though a game of rugger anywhere, with the present rules, beats it any day.
For BORING try golf.l:cheers:

#2498 4321lynx

4321lynx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

Bignose--- cricket is the ultimate game of skill & style, nothing will ever beat it. I tried to show that to a Canadian girl I took years ago to a Gentlemen v Players game. Even with my coaching and plentiful beer, I could not convince her, so I understand & forgive you. But it is a religion for more people than golf, so be careful what you say here.:) :cheers:

#2499 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:26 AM

If more than a quarter of the world's population play cricket, you can imagine how interesting it can be.

What percentage of the world plays baseball or the football that Americans play with their hands?:D

If Americans want to be considered serious sporting folk they have to start beating the New Zealanders first, in either rugby or cricket.

A match against the All Blacks would be most interesting.

A rough game without body armour played by men.

Are you game?:D

#2500 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

Rugby and cricket are only favored by the Brits and their colonies. We all know how boring the Brits are and so are their games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru