• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#2501 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

You can tell how boring a sport is by how big a show they put on for the customers at half time just to keep the poor buggers awake.

PomPom girls and Marching Bands are also a good indication as to how boring the sport is.

Mc Grath's elbow is on the mend. ;)

#2502 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:51 AM

Mcgrath should have his elbows smashed with lump hammers. We''l get Flinty onto it. :mad:

Play the best game online. Or a slight varient of it at least. :D

"Rugby and cricket are only favored by the Brits and their colonies"

The only colonies we have are the bloody focklands, erm, Falkland islands and Gibraltar, neither of which are well known in test Cricket. Maybe you mean former colonies, which doesn't wash neither as a quarter of the world counts as former colonies including the US.

#2503 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:50 AM

The only colonies we have are the bloody focklands, erm, Falkland islands and Gibraltar, neither of which are well known in test Cricket. Maybe you mean former colonies, which doesn't wash neither as a quarter of the world counts as former colonies including the US.

Well said. Forgive him for he knows not what he says.

Yanks prefer quickies.:D

We prefer something longer to prove that you are you.

SIX HOURS in a day's play. Five days' play in a Test. Five Tests in a series. Twenty-five days of cricket spread out over two months. Both teams outfitted in white. Surely there cannot be room for such an elegant, elongated exercise in a society addicted to instant gratification?

No quickies please, we're cricketers.

When the Adam Gilchrists of the world walk, even agnostics think that God could be a serious probability.

Cricket is the only game in the world with a conscience.

Cricket is science and physics.

Just imagine Reverse Swing... :devil:

the ball is scuffed up and allows the designated ball-shiners to coat one side with saliva and polish it while not touching the other. Basically, one side becomes slightly heavier and shinier.

:angel:

#2504 xagversum

xagversum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6872 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:39 AM

http://content-uk.cr...ory/217018.html

#2505 Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:28 AM

Agnostic

Thank you for The Hindu's article on reverse swing by Steve Waugh.

"For years, it was linked to ball tampering and even today there is a fine line between legitimate and illegal and opinions are often divided."

I'm going to stick my neck out here

and state that IMO some players have during breaks

brought some kind of lubricant on their hands

to allow the shiny side of the ball an unfair advantage...

not only this goes directly against the spirit of the game

but is deemed to be totally illegal under the rules of the game.

I am one of those who believe that spending minutes shining

one side of the ball should not be permitted during a game.

It is also obvious that the ball is sometimes 'allowed' to soak

some moisture from wet patches around the ground,

often even pushed deliberately into it, as you pick up the ball.

English players probably think that it is part of their game

or some kind of local knowledge, even acceptable bias...

but in reality it is still bending the rules into an unfair advantage

and some would say... it is cheating under a different name.

Few years ago some Pakistan players were caught tempering

with the ball (trying to interfere with the seam as it seemed)

they were branded as cheats by the media here in OZ.

WHAT"S THE DIFFERENCE?

To make the ball reverse swing the way England is doing it

is also, in my opinion, contrary to the letter of the laws of Cricket.

Perhaps it's time for the Empires to have a closer look at that.

#2506 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:58 AM

The empires know that if Brett Lee or Shaun Tait did the same thing, most of the Poms would be looking back over shattered stumps.

Where do you draw the line about which side of the ball ought to be "shined?"

:cheers:

#2507 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

PomPom girls and Marching Bands are also a good indication as to how boring the sport is.

Now you are trying to criticize another sport the is many times more interesting than cricket, NFL football.
Cricket will never be as exciting to watch as hockey. Any cricket lover will be converted once he sees a NHL hockey game in person at the Arena.
You like your sport, but it is just another game, like any other game. It isn't sophisticated or cultured , that is just another Brit myth.

#2508 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:16 AM

Four of the first five Australian wickets were LBW!

And the fingers went straight up. Bucknor has always been a homewtown boy. And Australia was no exception. We received a few good'uns from him when he umpired here.

This is definitely a tactic of the Australians. Thery are getting their pads behind every ball. But nevertheless, the Aussie bowlers can't buy a wicket so far that way in this series. Its had to be straight up and down and half way up the middle stump until now.

I wonder what Shane Warne thinks of all this. ;) Her has had plenty of appeals that look for all the world to be heading for the stumps. And if I was any of the Aussie quicks I'd be pretty pissed right now.

Two of the wickets had a big question mark on them. Martyn's was outlandish.

Oh well. C'est la vie.

#2509 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:48 AM

"Cricket will never be as exciting to watch as hockey. Any cricket lover will be converted once he sees a NHL hockey game in person at the Arena.
You like your sport, but it is just another game, like any other game. It isn't sophisticated or cultured , that is just another Brit myth."

---We cricketers take our time and satisfy our women--"50 over her or her over 50.":D

Works out to 69.:angel:

The minor convicts, the Kiwis or the birds that run but dont fly, gave a billion people, us Indians, a collective slap across our faces.

"Bond. Shane Bond." :kowt:

He bowls fast, he bowls straight, he can make the ball whisper into the batsman's ear, and best of all, he has the bowling action of God--perfectly legit.

He bowls the way we were taught to bowl. Any sonofabitch can throw. You need to be an artist to bowl.

For those of us who love cricket per se, he is the ultimate bowling coach for cricket crazy schoolboys.

Thanks for proving that birds can make men run, NZ.:devil: ---

#2510 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

We cricketers take our time and satisfy our women--"50 over her or her over 50."

Your women are boring too:D
Bored and bored again, lots of boring, deep boring, makes over one billion

#2511 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Bignose
Your women are boring too:D
Bored and bored again, lots of boring, deep boring, makes over one billion

Gridiron is boring. Overcoached. No discernable talent is required Only being able to put on sissy protective clothing and mindlessly remember "plays".

The beginning of the movie "Baseketball" (from the creators of SouthPark) says it all. The scene shows a gridiron player doing a touchdown from a play that is a most simple task. He then proceeds to showpony and strut his stuff as if he actually achieved something special. Ha Ha!

Even Americans think their sports are a boring manufactured jokes.

The halftime entertainment is to prevent the crowd from commiting suicide thru mind numbing boredom.

BACK TO THE CRICKET: At least the Aussies are putting up a fight. :)

#2512 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

We need 129 to win. Go back to Thursday, we were 129/1 at lunch. Coincidence? :eek:

#2513 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:41 PM

Cricket players are not even real athletes. It is a simplistic childs game compared to baseball, and much more boring than any baseball game. There is barely any risk of injury, you don't really have to run, there is no body contact and most of the game is about players standing around for hours or days watching.
Cricket is like most Brit sports, the fans are so bored they have to fight and kill each other in the stands or after the game in bars to get some excitement because there is very little excitement on the playing field.:D

#2514 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:12 PM

The Katich LBW has cost us the game. We would have scored another 30 to 40 runs with him there. At least. 129 is not enough to play with.

Straight after Katich was out, the incoming batsman Lee is dropped in the slips. Botham says "Oh well, I guess thats an evens up for the Katich decision"

???:rolleyes:

I'm yelling at the TV: "Botham, you idiot! It was a dropped catch from a batman who shouldn't even be out there! Katich should still be there! How is that evening up things!?" :mad:

:P Oh well. :tralala:

I note that with the first 4 english wickets, not one lbw.... :rolleyes:

#2515 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

I proved my point again.
Cricket fans can give out the snide remarks but they can't take them about their game, because exciting action packed sports speak louder than their lame boring game.
The best argument you have has nothing to do with the competition on the playing field; See how Brendon doesn't like the half time shows and the cheerleaders.
BACK TO THE CRICKET.:tralala: :cheers:

#2516 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Brendon
The Katich LBW has cost us the game. We would have scored another 30 to 40 runs with him there. At least. 129 is not enough to play with.

Straight after Katich was out, the incoming batsman Lee is dropped in the slips. Botham says "Oh well, I guess thats an evens up for the Katich decision"

???:rolleyes:

I'm yelling at the TV: "Botham, you idiot! It was a dropped catch from a batman who shouldn't even be out there! Katich should still be there! How is that evening up things!?" :mad:

:P Oh well. :tralala:

I note that with the first 4 english wickets, not one lbw.... :rolleyes:

Some have it. Some don't. Anyway, our batsmen can play forward defences. ;)

#2517 MrOnions

MrOnions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Originally posted by zxb

:cool:

:happy:

#2518 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

Originally posted by zxb

Flintoff wasn't too far forward when Warne had him plumb just before (given not out). And Katich was FORWARD. :)

Anyways, they got Botham and Willis off the commentary for the past 50 mins or so. So I watched us lose in not too bad a mood.

England deserved the win. Congrats!

Another great game.

But like I said about Katich's LBW. Giles and Hogarth didn't look like they were going to score another 40 runs. All we needed was a bit of luck, and we could have stolen it off you. True?

Coulda Woulda Shoulda......

I know... :rolleyes:

But I can still dream on...:P

#2519 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:02 PM

That really was a brutal fight at the end. I agree, we did have most of the luck. As for Kat, it's impossible to say how many more runs he'd have got if he's been given in. But, well done to your lads. Terrific fight back.:cheers:

#2520 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:25 PM

Thats right. Katich could have survived the appeal and got bowled out next ball. But that wasn't the feel of the game at the time.

And as for luck, Lee and Warne used up a fair bit of ours with their batting! LOL A few risky shots there... :P

Like I said before, Botham and Willis's absence from the commentary made me appreciate it a bit more! :P

England are the new force! We could have stolen it with a bit of luck. But then, the better side would not have won. ;)

Warne and McGrath are going to leave two huge holes when they retire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru