3815 replies to this topic

#621 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 12:43 PM

Thanks AG!
India didn't set much of a target for the SAfricans, hope their bowlers can defend it!

#622 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:59 PM

Looks like the South Africans have a good chance, unless they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.;)

#623 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:21 PM

4-165 with 9 overs left they should make it, but you never know your luck in the beg city!

#624 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:31 PM

Must have lost by now.
Bloody idiots.

#625 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:18 AM

But Ag,
India is favourite tomorrow in the final.
Oz thumping the Windies in Trinidad; don't know if I can get to Bridgetown for the next test tho'

#626 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 02:14 AM

Geez, 570+ declared. Will the Juggernaut ever cease? I think i won't go down there for the "Bados match, might get mugged (or drunk).

#627 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:07 PM

Will the windies make it? Nevertheless big time partying in Trinidad tomorrow.
Ag, too bad about the washout! My little mate next door was devastated at no result.
Any Fosters left, mate?

#628 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:30 PM

Nope, trav.
Only empty bottles.:D
Waiting for an Aussie mate who is due to come by ship.
It was Tendulkar's 30th birthday yesterday and all schoolkids in India wished him.

#629 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 12:06 AM

Tendulkar 30?! Jeez i'm getting old. i remember when he was a 19 y.o. tyro set to replace 'the master' Sunil Gavaskar. had the pleasure of seeing Sunni play back in Sydney in the early 80's. The pundits were right for a change. Hope your aussie mate brings some VB (serve cold!)

#630 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:26 PM

Yo trav,
Got hold of the local beer bloke and asked him to arrange for VB along with the usual Fosters indent.
It is already 100 in the shade out here.

:D :D

#631 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:41 PM

Doing things differently

R Mohan

There must be something wrong with the world if the best rap singer is white, the best golfer is black, the Masters champion is a left hander, and Germany refuses to fight a war - Anon.

Light on changing paradigms in sport, music and life is shed in this message (SMS) on the cellphone. It should set us thinking as a fast-changing world challenges established thinking and ancient prototypes.

Mark Weir's victory in Augusta, Georgia which is only the second by a left hander in a golf major illustrates the fact that there is no such thing as a universal ideal in sport. ''We're a minority group, you know,'' said the 1983 British Open champion Bob Charles in a light-hearted reference to how one more such person, Weir, had made his presence felt in the Masters.

The southpaws, to borrow a boxing term, have come to stay as we well know in cricket where some of the best players have done things the wrong way for a long time. Is not Garry Sobers the best ever all-round cricketer to breathe on this planet? Of the moderns, Wasim Akram has some such claim to left-handed greatness.

Brian Lara averages close to 50 against the Australians which is not something too many of the seven above him in current international Test ratings have managed. Since three of them, Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting are Aussies, the list is pretty small.

Hayden lost the top rating only because of his twin failure in the first Test in the Caribbean. Before that, he had a remarkable run that began in India where he came with a batting average below 25 and a confidence level like that of a cornered stag. Gilchrist is a remarkable left-hander who has changed the very pattern of batting not only in one-day internationals where his type of aggression has always found rich reward at the top of the order.

Even Don Bradman spoke in awe of a couple of innings by left-handers - the 254 by Sobers for rest of the world against Dennis 'the menace' Lillee & Co. in Perth in 1970-71 and the 274 by Graeme Pollock against Bill Lawry's Australians at Kingsmead in 1969-70. For instinctive striking and sheer savagery, Sobers' knock is thought to have few equals while Pollock is known to have celebrated the art of batting in a polished innings in which he did not once hit the ball in the air.

It is only in the rating for bowlers that one has to go way down to spot a left-armer. Of course, after his wonderful World Cup in which he was the leading wicket-taker, Chaminda Vaas figures in the top five in one-day bowlers. And who can question Akram's credentials when he is the only bowler with over 500 ODI wickets to his name plus a handy 414 in Test cricket?

In Test ratings, the emerging Zaheer Khan lies a lowly 12 but he is one for the future and who figured prominently in India's Test series win over the West Indies.

Where cricket has suffered most is in the matter of left arm spinners. They are an endangered species, not because captains have for some reason gone off them for unstated strategic reasons. Just no one has been good enough to keep his place in either variety of the game save for the recent rise of Brad Hogg who bowls the chinaman and the flipper with a brave and smiling face. It was not always like this. The loquacious Bishen Bedi was a master in the art of floating left arm orthodox spin in whom the English saw the new Wilfred Rhodes.

My daughter, fresh from her learning days in Pilani, once proclaimed proudly in her T-shirt slogan that 'Winners don't do different things. They do things differently.' The same can be said of left-handers who have always lent a different dimension to the world 'grace'. Say the word and the mind conjures a vision of the light-haired David Gower caressing the ball through the covers, of Bedi's flighted spin, of Sobers' lofted drives off the back foot.

The writer is the India Correspondent of The Cricketer International and the Wisden Cricketers' Almanack

http://www.newindpre...Columns&rLink=0

I'm a lefthander too.:D :D :D

#632 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:54 PM

Good post Ag!
Lefties certainly change the scope of things in cricket. I think it has to do with the angle of attack from a right handed bowler coming over the wicket.
When I started to play cricket (in my thirties), I had a real hard time (trying to hit like in baseball) the right arm being for power and not control. then I switched to leftie and was never clean bowled in the rest of my playing years! Bizzare! Didn't have quite the power, but the right arm at least kept the bat more or less vertical in front of the stumps. If the opposition went to a slow/spinner I'd switch back to righty and have a slog.
BTW what's the book on the next test WI v OZ?

#633 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:09 PM

No one is willing to bet on WI, the contest has been so one-sided so far. If Hooper had hung on, maybe it could have made a difference.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure myself.
I'd rate this Australian team as the greatest of all time.
Nobody is indispensable, and that includes Warne and Bevan.:) :) :)

#634 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:43 PM

You'd want to have a hypothetical test between this ozzie side and the Windies of the Clive Lloyds day!

#635 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:07 PM

"You'd want to have a hypothetical test between this ozzie side and the Windies of the Clive Lloyds day!"

I was thinking about that some weeks ago. My first instinct would be that the current Ozzie team would prevail. I checked out the stats for some players on both sides. The Ozzies are rather better on batting, but the Windies were comfortably better at bowling. Still, that's life. ;)

However, I expect the Windies will by crushed by the Aussies in the third test as per usual.

#636 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:30 PM

Welcome Back Z. Where ya been?

#637 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:25 PM

Just been busy for the past month or so. Glad to see that the most important thread in Pravda still soldiers on. ;)

#638 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:42 PM

Had a suspicion you might have been 'embedded' with the paras in Basra;)
Most replied to thread on the forum!

#639 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:06 PM

It's on!
Hayden gone for 27 off 30 balls.
Aussies sent in to bat! 1 for 48 after 9.

#640 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:33 PM

Very courageous move by Lara, putting the Aussies into bat. It'll probably end with the Aussies 570 odd for 5 declared leaving the other team fighting a loosing battle to scrape a draw. That's how it has been in the past. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru