• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#81 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:53 AM

NEW DELHI FEB. 16. Mohd. Kaif's house in Allahabad was attacked while Kolkata witnessed a mock funeral procession of the Indian cricket team as a cricket-crazy nation today vented its ire over the utter non-performance of the team in the World Cup.

Kaif has been failing consistently with the bat for the last couple of months and made just one run in 16 balls in India's humiliating nine-wicket defeat at the hands of Australia in their second World Cup league match yesterday.

The scenes were in stark contrast to the celebrations that Allahabad had seen when its ``very own'' Kaif had played a match-winning innings in the NatWest Trophy final in England last year. The front wall of Kaif's three-storied house in Kydganj area was blackened using mobil oil and black paint filled in polythene bags, prompting the cricketer's family to ask for security cover.

In Kolkata, angry fans took out a mock funeral procession of the "dead Indian cricket team''.

Complete with wreaths, flowers, sprinkling of Ganges water and parched rice and other rituals observed in a last journey, the mock ceremony took place in front of the office of the Cricket Association of Bengal at the Eden Gardens.

The cot with pictures of the World Cup squad members was then put to flames.

#82 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 02:01 PM

We must base the comparison of us poms and the evil aussies on how good we both are at rugby I think.

- zxb

ok i cant help myself here i have to rise to the bait - i cant remember the last time england beat the kangaroos in a game of rugby.

bit of a quiet day at the cup today is there no matches today? I thought the windies were playing but cant find the score.

#83 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 02:39 PM

West Indies are playing tomorrow. Against Bangledesh I think. Suspiciously there are no matches being played today. Part of an evil Jew NWO plot me thinks! :D:D:D

Ag, thanks for the info in the rain rules.

#84 Gospel

Gospel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 03:11 PM

Tedward,

"i cant remember the last time england beat the kangaroos in a game of rugby"

Then pray tell me what planet are you on buckaroo? England have won the last three encounters.

Back in Nov. we played and beat New Zealand, Australia and South Africa on three consecutive weekends - a feat never acheived before by anyone. Then on Saturday last we beat the French - which means in one season we've beaten the world's best comprehensivley.

England have now won their last 19 home games on the bounce--- another world record, and we are the number one ranked team in the world. Australia are the holders of the World Cup - so therefore the team to beat. But come November we'll see if you're still worthy of the title.

#85 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:09 PM

Gentlemen please!
Is this not a cricket threas??
I can't believe you're bickering about thugby, in a thread for one of the more civilized sports!

#86 gonzo

gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14844 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:09 PM

traveller

found a link , did not even realize we had a national team.

www.tsn.ca/other_sports/news_Story.asp?ID=27851

#87 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:25 PM

Canada did rather well in that match. Better than I expected.

"did not even realize we had a national team."

As far as I know you rarely play in the international theatre. 3 WC matches in 1979 was your only experience in an major international field, to my knowledge. Another couple of matches is this WC to add to that now, so it is quite possible that you won't know. Having said that I am surprised that you didn't read in the papers about your victory over Bangledesh.

In their 5 WC matches in history Canada have won 1 and lost 4. I can get you the scorecards if you want. :)

#88 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:08 PM

How could the ICC and the World cup organizers do this?
It's a holiday here, blizzard conditions, can't go anywhere, stuck in the house with 2 women and a 6 year old, and NO CRICKET!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#89 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:09 PM

Have to put the Viv Richards video on, then listen to the Twelfth Man tape!

#90 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:15 PM

Never know. Put a video on of the slowest triple century in test cricket, and that should while away the hours, and send you to sleep. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone! :D

#91 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:17 PM

Thanks matey,will do!

#92 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:29 PM

According to Wisden, the slowest 300 in history took 970 minutes by Hanif Mohammad, Pakistan v West Indies at Bridgetown in 1958. Part of 337.

By comparison, the fastest took 288 minutes by WR Hammond, England v New Zealand at Auckland in 1933. Part of 336.

Have you noticed that this thread has been posted on more on this day when no cricket has been played than on the days when there was play? :confused:

#93 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:48 PM

Viv has the fastest 50 in balls and the fastest 100in balls. 26 and 56 respectively.
Watched the Windie test a few times in Oz. Great matches! Sitting on the hill (when there still was a hill) with an esky full of piss, getting baked by the sun! Ah lovely.
Will try to get to Barbados this summer for the Aussie test. Heh, Heh, have to see some customers, sell some slots and pokers.

#94 gonzo

gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14844 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:56 PM

zxb

As far as I know you rarely play in the international theatre. 3 WC matches in 1979 was your only experience in an major international field, to my knowledge. Another couple of matches is this WC to add to that now, so it is quite possible that you won't know. Having said that I am surprised that you didn't read in the papers about your victory over Bangledesh.

Just one of those things, i missed this story, I found info on the world cup @ tsn.ca . No doubt it was on. I have been primarily a news junkie only because of this Iraq business.

cheers

#95 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:56 PM

Great player Viv Richards was.

Last time the Windies came here was nearly years ago, and we beat them 3-1, despite being thrashed in the first test. The Windies collapsed badly twice, to 54 and 61 all out in 2 innings, in different matches. Incredible how they lost there undoubted superiority in less than 10 years.

#96 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 06:55 PM

I think it'll take years to replace openers Haynes & Greenwich, followed by richards, Richardsonand LLoyd, then Dujohn and thats just the batting!!! Add to that the speedsters and you had one of best dynastys around. It all fell apart with the retirement of Lloyd. One of the true gentlemen and greatest test captains ever!

#97 Guest_traveller2_*

Guest_traveller2_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:41 PM

Posting from Travellers house .... he's the biggest crapper in all time.. neglected to tell you he's snowbound with two beautiful women (that he can't handle) and one gorgeous six year old. One woman is the much loved wife and the other his her "pain in the arse" friend = ME!! Secretly he's just a bastard who doesn't shovel snow as he's too busy talking to yo'll out there. Make him shovel snow!!!!!

#98 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:54 AM

Cricket divides CPM in Parliament
New Delhi, Feb 18

The Lok Sabha on Monday witnessed an unusual spectacle when CPM members openly differed with each other on whether cricketers should come under pressure in the name of patriotism.

While the leader of the CPM Parliamentary Party, Somnath Chatterjee, spoke vehemently about the need to send a message to the Indian cricket team playing the World Cup that Parliament was fully behind them, his enthusiasm was not shared by his party member Tarit Baran Topdar.

The issue was raised during zero hour by Congress member Priyaranjan Dasmunshi who criticised the attack on the residence of cricketer Mohammed Kaif at Allahabad.

Topdar, who came to the front benches to give his dissent note said there is no need for exuberance when the country's cricket team wins or loses matches.

The cricket team is like an NGO and do not represent the country, he said. The team is not elected by the people. The cricketers earn tonnes of money and some of them indulge in unsporting activities, he added.

Topdar's assertion that the bourgeois game did not represent the country was obviously not relished by his party leader Chatterjee who had earlier insisted that the Speaker should send a message to the team.

The dissident CPM MP however, condemned the attack on the residence of cricketers after the rout against Australia.

Note for the uninitiated:
Lok Sabha=House of the People (similar to House of Commons)
CPM= Communist Party of India (Marxist).

#99 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:59 AM

Irate cricket fans continue to vent anger

Kolkata Feb. 17. A mob of about 50 youths today burnt the effigy of the skipper of the Indian cricket team, Sourav Ganguly, and torched the pictures of other players.

Carrying pictures of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag, and shouting slogans against them, they condemned the players for being ``more interested in doing advertisements." They held placards, which said "Down with the Indian players'' and ``Let them do only ads, no need for them to play.''

Ganguly, the local favourite, bore the brunt of the assault, signalling the Kolkatans' frustration over the team's dismal performance against Australia. "They have let us down. They don't care for our sentiments,'' said one youth. At the upmarket Gariahat area, irate fans garlanded the posters of players with shoes.

Taking a cue from the mock "funeral procession'' taken out here on Sunday, fans burnt Ganguly's effigy at Pathalgaon, a report from Raigarh, Madhya Pradesh, said. They tied shoes around Ganguly's effigy and took out a mock funeral procession. The fans alleged that the match against Australia had been fixed and urged the BCCI to remove Ganguly as captain.

Security at players' homes

A report from Gulbarga said that the Karnataka Government had decided to provide security at the residences of the vice-captain, Rahul Dravid, and bowlers Anil Kumble and Javagal Srinath in Bangalore, in the wake of attacks on the houses of Ganguly in Kolkata and Mohammed Kaif in Allahabad.

Disclosing this to newspersons, the Karnataka Home Minister, Mallikarjuna Kharge, said it was only a precautionary measure.

Reports of protests by cricket-lovers had prompted the Government to take security measures against any possible violence in the State.

#100 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:35 AM

Gospel, I was reffering to the kangaroos - they play league.

just me being awkward :)

zxb since your the resident statistics guru - was that slowest 300 of all time the longest innings ever?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru