• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#1041 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 09:53 PM

AE Trott picks up 2 hattricks in Somersets second, including 4 wickets in as many balls the first time.

:)

#1042 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:28 PM

OK z, Ag, What's the line SA v England, today. Poms batting first.

#1043 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:42 PM

Trav,
Honestly I dont know the odds hereabouts. The bookie was busted last week. Punting on cricket is still illegal in India. But my heart is with the Poms. I'd like to see Troughton come good. I like his style. A bit impetuous maybe, but who isnt?:D

#1044 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:48 PM

To be honest I think the Africans are the favourites. They are still a very strong team, and although we beat them, it is true to say that we oinly beat them because of a record breaking 200 partnership between the openers, but we can't really rely on such a thing again.

#1045 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:51 PM

7/1 oh dear. What's Trescothick doing? This ain't no test match. Hell the Aussies would be 30 at least by now.:P

#1046 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:53 PM

Blighty is 7/2 in 4 overs. Both openers back in the pavilion. What's happening mate?:(

#1047 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 02:05 PM

C'mon z, get your Poms moving! What's happening? Fancy dress day today? Or is there too much sun?:)

#1048 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 02:10 PM

16 for 2 in 8.3 overs.
They are batting as if it was a blooming test match.
I'm happy I didnt wager today.:)

#1049 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 02:16 PM

Lookit da odds!!!

#1050 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 04:51 PM

193/7 will they last the 50!?

#1051 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:04 PM

When is the next match?

#1052 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:06 PM

I think Zimbabwe play a couple a matches over the weekend.

#1053 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 03:15 PM

Quote ... unquote

"It [playing for the West Indies] wasn't really as difficult as I thought it would be. It is just about going out there, keeping on your head and bowling."
West Indies' new pace sensation Fidel Edwards reflects on his first-innings five-for in his debut

"I think we'll be scratchy and not that well-prepared."
Exactly who does Steve Waugh think he's kidding as Australia get ready to play Bangladesh?

"That series [1998-99] sort of derailed Brian Lara and derailed West Indies cricket. If we can take out South Africa this time, that will set us up for going down to Australia for our next series there. Then I'll be able to tell you how far we have come."
Brian Lara has revenge on his mind ahead of this winter's tour of South Africa

"This great club is a way of life for a lot of people, but it's now being run like a supermarket ... cutting costs, a penny off this, a penny off that."
Yorkshire legend Geoff Boycott takes the news that he will have to pay to attend Test matches at Headingley on the chin

"I believe he thought Liz was a television presenter called Cat Deeley. But once that misunderstanding had been cleared up, they all had a wonderful night."
A spokesman for the Pangaea nightclub in Mayfair explains how Darren Gough spent an hour chatting up Atomic Kitten's Liz McClarnon without establishing exactly who she was

"He's always saying, 'I'm going to do this or I'm going to do that'. Just bowl, mate. Just stop talking and bowl."
Waqar Younis continues his rant about Shoaib Akhtar

"He performs to his ability once a year - and then he has the nerve to compare himself with Glenn McGrath. He was saying last week that if he'd been born Australian, he'd have taken more wickets. It might have been better for Pakistan if he had been born in Australia."
Former Pakistan captain Waqar Younis, on Shoaib Akhtar

"These days it is all right, because there is a bridge, so I can come easily now, but when I started playing cricket it was very hard."
Bangladesh's Mohammad Rafique recalls the days when he used to row 500 metres across a flood-swollen river to make it to practice as a young boy.

"Zimbabwe has slipped further into darkness in the time that has elapsed between England's scheduled World Cup game there in March and the present. With their country disappearing down the plughole, it looks like Zimbabwe's cricketers are following suit."
Editorial in the Johannesburg Sunday Times

"I need to prove myself to myself, the counties and everyone around England. I am very strong at the moment, still bowling at 98 miles per hour and I can serve Durham well."
Shoaib Akhtar talks up his county prospects

"In hindsight, yes. But they started off very well."
New ICC president Ehsan Mani when asked whether giving Bangladesh Test status was a mistake

"In 2001 England walked out to the theme from The Great Escape. Unfortunately, they then showed a blatant inability to tunnel their way out of a paper bag, losing all six one-day games."
The Daily Telegraph's Simon Briggs on England's choice of anthem

"I am going to England with an aim to become Man of the Series."
Allrounder Mohammad Hafeez, before the start of the NatWest Challenge. He went on to win Man of the Match in the first game

"It's bull$hit. People won't come for these gimmicks."
A cricket journalist shortly before 10,000 people turned up at The Oval for the first Twenty20 Cup match

"I am not blessed with normal joints. I have hypertension in my wrists, my knees, everywhere, look at my fingers, see?"
Pakistan's Mr Bendy Shoaib Akhtar explains away questions over the legality of his action

"Alan Mullally walked off and said those 20 overs were harder than any one-day international he's played in."
Ed Giddins after Hampshire's Twenty20 Cup match against Sussex

"I believe my success with the Indian team has been greatly exaggerated. Obviously I'd like to think I made an impression and was able to help but they were in pretty good shape when I arrived. They are not amateurs!"
Adrian Le Roux downplays his influence as India's fitness advisor

"I will be highly surprised if there are not some casualties. We can't afford to spend money we haven't got."
Martin Snedden, New Zealand Cricket's chief executive, on the likely result of the ICC receiving far less money from the World Cup than had been expected

"I'd rather have been a footballer."
Michael Vaughan confesses all to FHM

"Zimbabwe are going through a difficult patch but, on the field, you kick 'em when they're down. Off the field, you're as generous and helpful to them as you can be."
Nasser Hussain shows his tough side

"The main worry is the captain, who hardly looks like making a score."
Mike Brearley, speaking from personal experience, on Nasser Hussain

"It's no fun for anyone when minnows keep getting their arses kicked."
Jeff Thomson reflects on Australia's dominance

"The Government could look at ways of underwriting insurance worries. It's not right that youngsters should be denied access to any sport because of fears over litigation."
Former England captain Mike Gatting highlights one of the reasons that English schools are no longer playing cricket

"We are keen to sell out so we can show we can handle a big event of this nature both on and off the field as we have already done with the one-dayers. Then we shall be going to the ECB and battering down the door to get an Ashes Test."
Durham chairman Bill Midgley thinks big

"I don't necessarily get on with everyone. It's the way I was born, and if it has cost me my place in the team then that's very sad."
Lance Klusener after being dropped from the South African side

"Previously, the Australian public has loved their team playing so well and winning everything. However, I maintain that eventually they will tire of that."
The ICC's president Malcolm Gray proves that he really is one Australian in a million

"Seven games against the one side is a few too many in these one-day tournaments. It tends to drag on a bit I think, and get a bit monotonous." Ricky Ponting after Australia had lost the last three matches of their seven-game series in the Caribbean

"I've been castigated by a lot of people in Zimbabwe because of the perception that I'm a yes-man. They say that I agree with what's going on for my own financial embetterment, and my wife has had to live with quite a few remarks about me, but that comes with being who I am at this stage in our history."
Zimbabwe captain Heath Streak

"There was nothing wrong with the pitch, it was all down to swing. We put the ball in the right areas and everything went right for us."
Scott Brant, the Essex fast bowler, reflects on Nottinghamshire's 79 all out

"The pitch is up to speed. I am not allowed to comment on the quality of the batting."
ECB pitch inspector Peter Walker on the extraordinary day at Trent Bridge during which 23 wickets fell

"The renaissance may be short-lived but the dressing-room will be bouncing again like a budgie on Trill."
Mike Selvey on Darren Gough's recall

"I have been to the gym every day now for the last six months. I'm not young any more and I don't have to be told by Yorkshire, they leave me to do my training."
Darren Gough on the new attitude which led to an England recall

"Angus Fraser ... for his quality bowling and his dedication to moaning."
England nearly-man Richard Johnson when asked to name the cricketer he most admires

"Everything went so well I think I'll buy a lottery ticket."
Mark Butcher after his allround performance against Zimbabwe at Lord's

"It carried over from the World Cup, that if we won he'd shave his moustache off and shave his head as well. We've got halfway there."
Ricky Ponting explains the decision of John Buchanan, Australia's coach, to remove his moustache

"I know [Anthony] McGrath. A very dry sense of humour and known for his pranks. I told him quite firmly to be himself, but no 3am alarm calls, and no socks or ties chopped up."
Nasser Hussain

"I don't know whether I would call him my bunny, but obviously I have enjoyed the challenge of bowling to Brian Lara."
Andy Bichel, 24 hours before Lara smashed 80 as West Indies ended Australia's winning run. Bichel got Lara again, but his 10 overs cost 67 runs

#1054 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:33 PM

Well we've reached the series final anyway. :)

#1055 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 03:47 AM

Andy Flintoff deserves knighthood.:D

#1056 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:50 AM

And a GCMG and an Order of the Garter. He's the only middle order man that I have any faith in. The current fragility of our middle order is quite well known now, if not notorious, but our selectors don't seem to have much imagination. Replace Troughton with Butcher at least, and I don't think Macgrath has the stomach for ODI's neither, so bring in Thorpe or someone instead. But no, they won't. :mad:

#1057 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

What is wrong with Ed Smith?

Give him a chance. All-rounder to boot.:)

#1058 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, perhaps. Brown, maybe (chap who made 268 in a 1 day match:)). Wagh? There must be dozens of possibles.

#1059 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:04 PM

made 258 for whom?

#1060 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:40 PM

268. I posted a scorecard for that match somewhere above. I think it might have been for Glamorgan. Incidently, the man has played several ODI's for England (before his feat last year), but failed somewhat. But, I would mind giving him a second chance. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru