Cricket World Cup Thread
Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:35 PM
Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:07 PM
Darren Gough just announced his retirement from test cricket- shame to see him go one of my fave english players but probably the right thing for him to do.
Posted 08 August 2003 - 04:52 PM
Thorpe has been beset by marital problems for the past year and has not played a Test since July 2002, against India at Lord's. On that occasion, he cut a distracted figure in an otherwise victorious side and failed twice with the bat before taking a temporary break from all forms of cricket. He was subsequently selected for England's tour of Australia, but withdrew at the last minute after admitting he was not mentally prepared for such an arduous trip.
He has since returned to the form and frame of mind that made him England's best batsman for much of the past decade, but Thorpe's return to Test cricket is far from guaranteed. A back spasm ruled him out at Lord's, but Michael Vaughan, Nasser Hussain's successor as captain, is said to be wary of leaning too heavily on England's old guard. The presence of Thorpe, Hussain and Alec Stewart in the same side might be considered a retrogressive step.
Hussain, whose appetite for the game had been in question since his resignation, answered his critics with a battling 61 at Lord's and a fabulous unbeaten 161 for Essex in the National League last week. And though Stewart's place remains in jeopardy after his less-than-mobile performance behind the stumps at Lord's, the retirement of Darren Gough may have saved his place for the time being. England cannot afford to dispense with all of their experienced players in such an unseemly rush, and Chris Read should therefore be told to wait his turn.
"All selection meetings are important but this is one of the most important we have held in quite some time," admitted David Graveney, England's chairman of selectors. "We have some big decisions to make and we also have to find a line-up capable of improving on our performance during the last Test at Lord's."
One of the biggest decisions will be the identity of Gough's replacement. Two of the likeliest lads, Matthew Hoggard and Richard Johnson, are suffering from injuries, so James Kirtley will probably make his first Test appearance after being 12th man for four matches in succession. James Ormond, who has 41 wickets at 26.80 this season (including a hat-trick against Sussex last week) is also on the brink of a recall, while Gareth Batty's offspin and handy lower-order batting is sure to earn a mention in dispatches.
England's batting, the Thorpe saga notwithstanding, is equally problematic. A tough decision needs to be taken on Anthony McGrath, who grabbed his opportunity with successive half-centuries against Zimbabwe, but has been palpably out of his depth against South Africa. Among the possibles are Ed Smith, Kent's man of the moment, who managed just 7 against the South African tourists at Canterbury yesterday, and his team-mate Robert Key, who has his opportunity to impress today.
Possible squad Michael Vaughan (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Mark Butcher, Nasser Hussain, Anthony McGrath, Rob Key, Alec Stewart (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Ashley Giles, James Ormond, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, James Kirtley.
Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:08 PM
Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:33 PM
Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:21 AM
BY : BYAS ANAND
NEW DELHI: Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar will next week join the ranks of cine star Hrithik Roshan, T-Series owner Bhushan Kumar and Nusli Wadia's son Jeh Wadia. All have one thing in common: a spanking Ferrari.
After almost a year of waiting, and seeking a duty waiver from the government, Tendulkar will finally receive his fiery red Ferrari 360 Modena car next week.
The car, with its famous prancing horse logo, is on its way to India, Fiat India director (commercial) Ananda Mohan Gupta told The Times of India.
Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:17 PM
Sunday, 10 August , 2003, 14:50
Sydney: Controversy prone Australian spinner on Sunday found himself in the midst of another telephone sex scandal with a South African woman accusing the bowler of making lewd calls and sending dirty messages to her.
Cohen Alon, a 45-year-old divorcee and a mother of three, claimed Warne called her up "40 times" saying he "wanted me" and even sent text messages telling her he was lying in bed next to his wife Simone, but thinking "naughty thoughts about me".
The allegations of Alon were reported by the Sunday Times, Johannesburg.
Warne, who was stripped of his vice captaincy after he admitted making dirty calls to a British nurse in August 2000, refused to respond to the charges made by Alon but his manager and brother Jason did issue a terse statement denying the allegations.
Warne in phone sex scandal
Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:08 PM
What would you like Tendulkar to drive if not a Ferrari?
Eight-ball overs were last bowled at Test level in Australia and New Zealand in the 1978-79 season. The last match to witness them was the acrimonious conflict beween Australia and Pakistan at Perth which ended on 29 March 1979.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users