players. :D

I'm serious.

#1142 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:35 PM

I will Gos. My cousin is shifting from Birmingham to Sheffield in September and I may make it, not sure though. I sure will make it during some cricket season and we'll team up at Lords, along with zxb. Possibly, when there is an Ashes series going on and we can sledge the convicts from the stands.:D

#1143 Gospel

Gospel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:41 PM

That's a must-do Ag, and zxb. The three pravda
amigos ... barmy army will be stoked :D

#1144 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:42 PM

What? no invite for the Yank? I can sit at Lord's and drink VB with the best sledgers in the world!

#1145 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:07 PM

Im not looking for an invite ill just sit and look smug after australia wrap it up in the third test with another innings victory :)

Darren Gough just announced his retirement from test cricket- shame to see him go one of my fave english players but probably the right thing for him to do.

#1146 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:30 PM

Why not?
Yanks, Poms, Currymunchers, and Convicts. All of us can have a ball. It is not important which team wins. What is important is that cricket wins and we have a great time.

:D

#1147 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:19 PM

Ah me, the Aussies have done it again v Banga Ho Hum......

We get a crack at India next Xmas:D

How's Tendulkar shaping up for that, Ag?

#1148 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:23 PM

"Ah me, the Aussies have done it again v Banga Ho Hum......"

I must confess to not being completely surprised. ;)

A meetup at Lords would be amusing. Bring a megaphone. And a huge book full of expletives. :D

#1149 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:07 PM

When's the next Lord's test? Against whom. I have my Oz 1 day shirt packed already:D

#1150 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:49 PM

Trav,
Tendulkar is raring to go as are the young cubs Kaif and Yuvraj. It should be an interesting contest.

#1151 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 04:52 PM

Graham Thorpe may be forced to wait a while longer to make his return to Test cricket, as England's selectors are expected to resist the temptation for wholesale changes ahead of the third npower Test against South Africa at Trent Bridge next week.

Thorpe has been beset by marital problems for the past year and has not played a Test since July 2002, against India at Lord's. On that occasion, he cut a distracted figure in an otherwise victorious side and failed twice with the bat before taking a temporary break from all forms of cricket. He was subsequently selected for England's tour of Australia, but withdrew at the last minute after admitting he was not mentally prepared for such an arduous trip.

He has since returned to the form and frame of mind that made him England's best batsman for much of the past decade, but Thorpe's return to Test cricket is far from guaranteed. A back spasm ruled him out at Lord's, but Michael Vaughan, Nasser Hussain's successor as captain, is said to be wary of leaning too heavily on England's old guard. The presence of Thorpe, Hussain and Alec Stewart in the same side might be considered a retrogressive step.

Hussain, whose appetite for the game had been in question since his resignation, answered his critics with a battling 61 at Lord's and a fabulous unbeaten 161 for Essex in the National League last week. And though Stewart's place remains in jeopardy after his less-than-mobile performance behind the stumps at Lord's, the retirement of Darren Gough may have saved his place for the time being. England cannot afford to dispense with all of their experienced players in such an unseemly rush, and Chris Read should therefore be told to wait his turn.

"All selection meetings are important but this is one of the most important we have held in quite some time," admitted David Graveney, England's chairman of selectors. "We have some big decisions to make and we also have to find a line-up capable of improving on our performance during the last Test at Lord's."

One of the biggest decisions will be the identity of Gough's replacement. Two of the likeliest lads, Matthew Hoggard and Richard Johnson, are suffering from injuries, so James Kirtley will probably make his first Test appearance after being 12th man for four matches in succession. James Ormond, who has 41 wickets at 26.80 this season (including a hat-trick against Sussex last week) is also on the brink of a recall, while Gareth Batty's offspin and handy lower-order batting is sure to earn a mention in dispatches.

England's batting, the Thorpe saga notwithstanding, is equally problematic. A tough decision needs to be taken on Anthony McGrath, who grabbed his opportunity with successive half-centuries against Zimbabwe, but has been palpably out of his depth against South Africa. Among the possibles are Ed Smith, Kent's man of the moment, who managed just 7 against the South African tourists at Canterbury yesterday, and his team-mate Robert Key, who has his opportunity to impress today.

Possible squad Michael Vaughan (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Mark Butcher, Nasser Hussain, Anthony McGrath, Rob Key, Alec Stewart (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Ashley Giles, James Ormond, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, James Kirtley.

#1152 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:08 PM

The most successful bowling return in cricket is quite well known, when Jimmy Laker picked up 19 for 90 in 1956. The second best match return for a bowler is much less well known however. It occured when Henry Arkwright picked up 18 for 96 in 1861. It must be pointed out though, that there were 12 men aside, not 11.

:)

#1153 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:54 PM

12 men a side? That's news. I remember the Ozzies having an eight-ball over when I was a kid, but 12 a side? I haven't even read about it. Any idea when they changed the rules?

#1154 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:33 PM

I think numerous countries have used, or experimented with 8 ball overs, but 12 men aside is different. I think it was just so long ago when the rules were much more flexible. Of course, the irregular team size does mean that this match is excluded from 1st class classification. Perhaps 12 men aside matches were already an exception in the 1860's, and slowly dissipated entirely over time, but I'm just guessing. :confused:

#1155 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:21 AM

Sachin finally gets his Ferrari

BY : BYAS ANAND
NEW DELHI: Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar will next week join the ranks of cine star Hrithik Roshan, T-Series owner Bhushan Kumar and Nusli Wadia's son Jeh Wadia. All have one thing in common: a spanking Ferrari.

After almost a year of waiting, and seeking a duty waiver from the government, Tendulkar will finally receive his fiery red Ferrari 360 Modena car next week.

The car, with its famous prancing horse logo, is on its way to India, Fiat India director (commercial) Ananda Mohan Gupta told The Times of India.

#1156 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:17 PM

Warne in yet another phone sex scandal

Sunday, 10 August , 2003, 14:50

Sydney: Controversy prone Australian spinner on Sunday found himself in the midst of another telephone sex scandal with a South African woman accusing the bowler of making lewd calls and sending dirty messages to her.
Cohen Alon, a 45-year-old divorcee and a mother of three, claimed Warne called her up "40 times" saying he "wanted me" and even sent text messages telling her he was lying in bed next to his wife Simone, but thinking "naughty thoughts about me".

The allegations of Alon were reported by the Sunday Times, Johannesburg.

Warne, who was stripped of his vice captaincy after he admitted making dirty calls to a British nurse in August 2000, refused to respond to the charges made by Alon but his manager and brother Jason did issue a terse statement denying the allegations.

Warne in phone sex scandal

#1157 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:34 PM

Walter Hammond never had a Ferrari.

:)

#1158 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 03:23 PM

He would probably have preferred a Rolls, anyway.:D

#1159 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 12:45 PM

Tendulkar in a Ferrarri? Yet another celebrity with no taste in cars!:rolleyes:

I thopught 8 balls an over was the norm up until the late 60's early 70's? Help me out.

#1160 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:08 PM

Trav,
What would you like Tendulkar to drive if not a Ferrari?:D

BTW,
Eight-ball overs were last bowled at Test level in Australia and New Zealand in the 1978-79 season. The last match to witness them was the acrimonious conflict beween Australia and Pakistan at Perth which ended on 29 March 1979.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru