3815 replies to this topic

#1201 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 11:11 PM

You know, if Flinty hammers a treble Ton, or at least 250, we will win. :D

Does anyone else think we have the longest tail of any Test playing nation, starting from Bickwell downwards? Apart from the Bangas of course, whose tail starts with their number 3 batter. ;)

There is Anderson I suppose. Averages 43 in Test cricket I believe. :confused:

#1202 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:45 AM

Outbatted, outbowled ... and out-thought
August 25, 2003

England v South Africa, 4th Test, Headingley, Day 5

It didn't take long - less than an hour of a gentle workout for South Africa to polish off England's resistance on the fifth morning at Headingley. They did what England signally failed to do yesterday, admittedly in less helpful conditions: Mark Butcher was despatched in the first over, Andrew Flintoff didn't last much longer, and the tail was docked with all the precision of the local Yorkshire vets that James Herriot made famous. In contrast England's clumsy attempts to remove South Africa's tail would have had the Canine Defence League on the phone in no time.

There was time today for Jacques Kallis to show England's five-man pace attack how to bowl on this Headingley pitch. Kallis is a somewhat reluctant bowler these days, but he bowled at the stumps, on a good length (with the occasional short one to keep the batsmen honest) and finished with match figures of 9 for 92. Compare that with Martin Bicknell (4 for 125), James Kirtley (5 for 145), Kabir Ali (5 for 136) and James Anderson (2 for 119). Only Flintoff put the ball consistently in the right place, and ill-luck contributed to ordinary match figures of 4 for 118. Horses for course? This lot were selling-platers.

The turning points of the match mainly hinged on England mistakes. Flintoff's marginal overstep that led to a wicket off a no-ball - Gary Kirsten added 102 more runs after that in the first innings. If Kirsten had gone then it would have been 70 for 5 at lunch on the first day, and without the wise counsel of the player one newspaper called "the dome-headed veteran", it's hard to believe that Monde Zondeki would have hung around long enough to make his 59. Upshot: South Africa, who should have been bowled out for about 142, made 200 more than that.

Next was England's dubious decision to go off on the second evening, at a time when they were creaming the ball around. The walkoff gave the South African think-tank a chance to sit their bowlers down and address their faults. It stopped the batsmen in full flow. And, with blue sky looming over "Will's Mother's", as they say up north, it was just about guaranteed that England would be back out there soon. They were, Marcus Trescothick departed immediately, Butcher soon followed, and South Africa never looked back.

Then there was the black comedy of the fourth morning. Quick wickets for England would have set up an intriguing finale - a target of between 220 and 250 could led to a classic. Instead one feared that Billy Bowden would suffer RSI after signalling a succession of fours with that arm-waving arrangement straight out of the Last Night of the Proms. Yesterday South Africa helped themselves to 201 runs at five an over on a helpful pitch ... and the eventual winning margin was 191.

Overall England were outbatted and outbowled at Headingley - and more damagingly they were out-thought. It doesn't bode well for The Oval. England need a strike bowler, a spinner, and a middle-order batsman likely to manage more than a flashy fifty (and if Nasser Hussain is unfit, now his poppadum fingers have tuned into twiglet toes, make that two). It's time for the selectors to swallow their misplaced pride and recall Graham Thorpe. Ashley Giles will presumably return, although Jason Brown might worry South Africa's left-handers more. But the strike bowler? It could be a long meeting ...

That silly break for "bad" light...

#1203 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 02:27 PM

Can't disagree. Could give Jimmy Ormond a try perhaps?

I think the difference was SA's better bowling, and our long tail. The South Africans put on 333 runs for their last 3 wickets in that match. We only put on 58 for our last 4 wickets in the match. That is just not good enough. At least we have proven that we can batter the enemies top order, but I just think the Gibbs, Smith and Kallis are due for big scores now. :eek:

#1204 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:38 AM

I dont think they should make any changes to the side for the next test (except for putting a spinner in if they must)- I think englands starting to get it right selection wise.

Is the next test Stewarts last?

and no they shouldnt bring thorpe back.

#1205 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 11:48 AM

Why cant they bring in Chris Read. Time to blood him, I would have thought. And arent there any good young spinners playing county cricket? The Proteas have become so used to Giles they can play him blindfolded.

#1206 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 06:19 PM

I'm quite happy to let Stewart have his final moment of glory. And, he is a better batsman than Read, the side will be weaker without him.

"and no they shouldnt bring thorpe back"

Why not?

#1207 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:09 PM

Thorpe is a dour customer with the willow who doesnt gift his wicket away, but a bit sluggish on the field, perhaps?

#1208 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:17 PM

Sounds like Walter Hammond, but his Test record is very good. I'm surprised he wasn't brought back in when Mcgrath was dropped instead of Ed Smith. :confused:

#1209 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 03:49 PM

Maybe you've got a point, zxb.
What England needs is a strengthened batting lineup. Thorpe can always be "hidden" in the field. After all, its not a one-dayer.
Yup. When the tail starts at No 4, you need to put some beef into the batting, and Thorpe would be a good choice. He would lock up one end.

#1210 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:16 PM

First ever first innings lead. First hattrick by a Banga bowler. Test to remember, even if they lose. :)

#1211 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 07:26 PM

There have been many poor batting performances in matches in history, and indeed, many not so bad ones that are not at all interesting, however, none can compare with this remarkable failure.

Gentlemen, I am proud to present to you The lowest ever score in any important cricket match.

Sadly alas, as with so many very old matches the fall of wickets and bowling returns are not recorded. :(

#1212 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:41 PM

I dont know if you are conversant with the new Duckworth-Lewis system on the Forum. I've shoved in my two paise worth.Forum's New Duckworth Lewis rules :D I have made a plea for "beast" not to be banned.

#1213 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:44 AM

Good day gents. Glad to be back! Nic3e time in Oz, but not enough!
Good weather, but. 20c in the day 7 at night.
They're getting ready for the Thugby Cup, cautious optimism, but money,
's on Poms and Springboks.
Any comments?

#1214 Sketchy

Sketchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:38 AM

Money is on the AB's as much as it hurts me to say being an Aussie. I don't think the Boks will get much past the quarters. Yeah, deffo down to the poms or the AB's.

#1215 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:53 PM

SA have put on a very strong start, once again. :(

At the moment, I'm finding the Banga/Paki Test much more interesting. :eek:

#1216 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 04:01 PM

Bangers are looking good here. Inzamam fails again!!

Gotta be a soft wicket for the Proteas in Pommieland :)

#1217 xagversum

xagversum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6872 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 06:36 PM

Looks good for SA but at least England got some wickets in the end. Missed the first couple of sessions from a power cut and joined after tea. Pretty miserable viewing, Gibbs smashing it all over the place and slow slow bowling on a fine batting pitch. Exciting to watch the bounderies though.

SA 360-odd for 4. Watching after tea I thought they'd be 400-1 at the close but England have something to play with tomorrow. There're still some good batters to come so I wouldn't expect SA to get less than 520.

#1218 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:15 AM

Ted Corbett in today's paper says that umpire Venkat didnt give three "clean" lbw's out and that helped the springboks. Any of you guys see the match live?

#1219 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:56 AM

Never saw it live - the umpires from the 4th test had a good game though.

As for the fifth test - so much for south africas tail the last 5 wickets fell for only 70 odd runs.

England need to get the last man out soon after lunch and then two of Englands first three batsmen need to make centurys today or get pretty close, i would say.

#1220 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:09 PM

I don't remember 3 straight lbw decisions going against the bowlers, but it is possible given the previous dodgy umpiring of lbw's in the series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru