• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#1241 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:11 PM

No. Nass should stay in the side as long as he keeps getting runs. His record in the SA series was very good. Second only to Flintoff prior to this Test I think. His batting set up our first win in this series remember. Top scored in both innings, and Kirtley did the rest. We do have numerous young hopefulls, but currently, Smith isn't turning out to be one of them. In any case, I don't think we should drop our experienced players just because, um ur... (can you think of any decent reasons?). No offence Ted, but you also opposed bringing Thorpe back, whose resultant Ton has been crucial for setting up our potential victory. Now, I want England to be the strongest team possible, which means having the strongest players available, and the youngest players are not always the strongest, and Nassers record in this series proves when compared to Mcgrath, or Smith. Or Troughton. Or the Bob Key fiasco.

I'm confident that Chris Read will be the Gaffers sucessor, and a very worthy one if I may say so. :)

So, SA 185/6. Pollock, Boucher and Hall. They are the keys. They can make or break the game for us. Probably the latter. :(

#1242 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:42 AM

yea ill admit i got thorpe wrong - i think i was confusing him with hick :)

You cant rule smith out already though.

#1243 Gospel

Gospel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 01:51 PM

Fark me ... England win and tie the series!?!?!
Now if only we could muster a more potent
bowling attack .... hmmmm. :)

#1244 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 03:55 PM

I've been telling you right from the beginning, Gos. You have a good team. All you need is a good spinner and the British Lion can think about roaring again. Stick with Vaughan, get a couple of young spinners, and tell Thorpe to think of his wife every time he sees the bowler, and Blighty will be quite a team. Youngsters must be selected keeping 2007 in mind.

#1245 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 08:31 PM

I'm so merry I can't even bring myself to laugh at Bush's speech. :D

Thanks Tresco!

#1246 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 08:54 PM

Anyone seen the Somerset/Derbyshire match? Somerset go down 117/7 and Blackwell hammers a quick fire 247no with a monster 10th wicket partnership to bring the score to over 400? He really knows how to celebrate!

:)

#1247 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:15 PM

A match that Goa might want to forget as they reduced Tamil Nadu to 95/4, then found themselves slaughtered as Tamil plundered over 900/6. This is the only incident of 2 men making triple centuries in the same innings in 1st class cricket. It also appears to be one of those rare occasions when all 11 men had a go with the ball including the wicketkeeper who sent down a couple of overs.

:)

#1248 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:09 PM

Both were lefthanders and Arjan Kripal Singh was almost a clone of David Gower. A delight to watch.

#1249 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 08:13 PM

Ag, do you know what bonus runs are as regards to extras. I know that in C&G one dayers, if a bowler bowls a no ball, his next delivery is a free hit. Is it a similar thing here, and runs hit off free hits are bonus runs? :confused:

#1250 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:10 PM

zxb,
From what I can understand, extras are made up of overthrows, byes, no-balls, wides, and leg-byes. Bonus runs are awarded to the opponent when one side defaults with a slow over rate.
At least that is what I think it means. When we played cricket we had only extras. I'll check out the rules and let you know the exact details.

#1251 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:08 PM

Sounds interesting. In county matches a side can be docked a point for slow over rates. Yorkshire just lost one (out of 8) in their match against worcestershire. We don't dock runs. Yet. ;)

#1252 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:01 AM

"Hussain the best captain since Brearley
September 16, 2003

Nasser Hussain is the best England captain since Mike Brearley and more people would prefer to drink with James Anderson than David Beckham, according to the findings of an exclusive survey commissioned to mark the publication of the first issue of The Wisden Cricketer magazine.

Although Hussain's reign ended abruptly, after England's heavy defeat by South Africa at Lord's in July, he is rated more highly than any England captain since Brearley, well ahead of other leaders including Mike Atherton, Mike Gatting, Graham Gooch, David Gower, Tony Greig, Alec Stewart, Mike Denness and Colin Cowdrey. Among post-war captains only Peter May, Ray Illingworth and Brearley were voted ahead of Hussain.

Drinking with Anderson, not Beckham
Cricket followers appear to be immune to the massive hype surrounding football, and David Beckham in particular. Seven out of 10 say they would prefer to have a drink with England's up-and-coming fast bowler James Anderson than with Beckham. And despite the contrasts in profile and pay packets, eight out of 10 say they would prefer their daughters to marry a cricketer rather than a footballer.

Umpires should be dropped
A huge majority (92%) support the idea that umpires should be treated more like players, with those consistently making poor decisions being dropped. And while most people did not agree that Hawkeye technology should be used by umpires to reach lbw decisions (65% against), opinions were more evenly divided on whether the ICC should adopt more technology to help get the correct decisions at international level (55:45 in favour).

Corruption still taking place
The Wisden Cricketer survey canvassed opinions among English cricket fans, asking a wide range of topical and sometimes controversial questions. One of these was on the subject of corruption, where seven out of 10 say they believe that corrupt practice is still taking place in world cricket, despite assurances to the contrary from the game's authorities. Perhaps more surprisingly, fewer than a third said that it spoilt their enjoyment of the game.

Sledging OK in Tests
According to more than half of respondents, sledging is acceptable at the highest levels of the game. This view altered substantially, however, when the same question was asked about village cricket. Two thirds say it is not acceptable at recreational level, although one in three admit to sledging when they actually play.

On the domestic front there was overwhelming support for the ECB's new Twenty20 competition, with 97 per cent saying it was a success and 87 per cent believing it would work as well next year.

Benaud top commentator by a mile
With almost half the votes, Richie Benaud was the runaway winner of a poll of TV commentators from all stations

#1253 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 02:32 PM

zxb,
"...eight out of 10 say they would prefer their daughters to marry a cricketer rather than a footballer..."

Best compliment I ever heard about cricket.

:D

I'm gonna do some research on these bonus runs and I'll be baahk.:cool:

#1254 tedward

tedward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 08:51 PM

"Hussain the best captain since Brearley
September 16, 2003

What does that say about the others? - He did turn english cricket arround Ill give him that.

Umpires should be dropped
A huge majority (92%) support the idea that umpires should be treated more like players, with those consistently making poor decisions being dropped. And while most people did not agree that Hawkeye technology should be used by umpires to reach lbw decisions (65% against), opinions were more evenly divided on whether the ICC should adopt more technology to help get the correct decisions at international level (55:45 in favour).

I agree with all three decisions.

Sledging OK in Tests
According to more than half of respondents, sledging is acceptable at the highest levels of the game. This view altered substantially, however, when the same question was asked about village cricket. Two thirds say it is not acceptable at recreational level, although one in three admit to sledging when they actually play.

Not in village cricket? Wheres the fun then?

On the domestic front there was overwhelming support for the ECB's new Twenty20 competition, with 97 per cent saying it was a success and 87 per cent believing it would work as well next year.

I thought the 2020 was a great competition - Im glad its prooved so popular.

Benaud top commentator by a mile
With almost half the votes, Richie Benaud was the runaway winner of a poll of TV commentators from all stations v of the other nominations only Botham, Atherton and Nicholas received double figures. Channel 4's coverage of the game was also highly rated (77%).

Yea Benaud is far and away the best commentator in England - I thought gower wasnt bad but I cant stand the rest of them.

Ch4 coverage is great - its better than ch9 in australia too. Except for the commentators.

Return of the Ashes?
Only half of England's followers believe their team has any chance of winning back the Ashes in 2005, a view perhaps influenced by the fact that 70 per cent of them think Shane Warne should be picked to play for Australia again, despite his recent controversies. Continuing the Australian theme, Sydney is the Englishman's favourite choice of ground to watch England play Test cricket, although Lord's is still seen as the home of world cricket by 85 per cent of respondents."

Half of englands fans are still optomistic - Aus still has something to play for then :)

Anyone see Damien Martyns smashing double century for yorkshire in county cricket the other day?

#1255 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 01:49 PM

I heard about it. Good perfomance, though a bit over shadowed by Sussex's win and Goodwins 335no.

"Not in village cricket? Wheres the fun then?"

In the pub. :D

#1256 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 04:19 PM

Aye. In the pub and the tavern.:D

#1257 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 12:50 PM

Right now Sachin Tendulkar is visiting the cancer hospital where the missus works, on one of his charity trips.
She promised to get an autograph when he visits the radiology unit.

#1258 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 02:16 PM

That makes me so jealous. We just don't get international superbatters coming to King's Lynn. :mad:

#1259 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 03:58 AM

The kid in this link is a paediatric cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy and losing hair because of it.

Meanwhile Brett Lee has started a rock band which is becoming quite popular.

#1260 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 09:50 PM

Latif has resigned the Paki Test captaincy. I know that Ag will be really cut up about that. All the way to the pub. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru