• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#1601 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

I agree with z, they should have declared earlier; then there would have been a possibility of a result.

#1602 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:37 PM

"I agree with z, they should have declared earlier; then there would have been a possibility of a result"

:confused:

Um. With the benifit of hindsight, there was no possibility of a result.

#1603 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:02 PM

More centuries than his age.

#1604 Belrick

Belrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:29 PM

Great article on John Wright in India.
http://nz.cricinfo.c..._22APR2004.html

Its fitting and proud for a NZ coach to do well overseas because i remember how dismal the Kiwi cricketers were in the 1990's.

Fitting because it was an Australian coach, Steve Rixon who set NZ cricket back on the path to recovery.

#1605 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:43 PM

Tendy's nearly past now. ;) Wonder how many Tons Tendy will have when he retires. 40? 50? 60? Even the unique species identified as Donus Bradus would have struggled to compete with that. :D

"More centuries than his age."

But can he get more first class double tons than his age? :cool:

#1606 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:38 AM

Belrick is so correct. John Wright is the right father figure for this team. Remarkable how overseas coaches turn things right. It is possible that it is because they are above petty local politics. Malcolm Marshall taught Ntini. If only everybody in the world played cricket, there would be no war.

zxb,
Tendy's tentative target is a century of centuries.:D Personally, I dont think he will go for doubles, triples, and quadruples. Just imagine how Yankee crowd would have reacted had it had the privilege of witnessing Lara's 400. The trend is changing. Give me the choice of watching a 50-ball 100 and a 800-ball 400 and I'll go for the former any day. When Tendulkar retires he can be prime minister if he wants. Even the Don couldnt do that. And in India the Don is God. Even Tendulkar couldnt get 29 centuries in 52 matches.

#1607 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:44 AM

For some reason I cant seem to be able to go back and edit mistakes in my previous posts.

To hell with that.

While on batting, one should also spare a thought for bowlers. Everybody talks of Warne and Murali, but my ultimate hero will always remain another Kiwi, Sir Richard Hadlee. Not until someone else takes more than 431 wickets in less than 86 tests, will I even start comparing the two.

#1608 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

What about Mura? He's picked loads of wickets very quickly. 513 in 88 matches? He and Hadlee were/are extremely prolific bowlers.

My ultimate hero would be Gearge Lohmann. 117 wickets in only 18 Tests. Average just 10.5. If we extrapolated his career statistically he would have 546 wickets from 86 matches. With a heavier schedule, and fitness levels approaching todays, lord knows what he could have achieved with the ball. But, I don't think his health would have stood, it, and he would have died even earlier than he did. :(

"Personally, I dont think he will go for doubles, triples, and quadruples"

I agree. Better to get for example, 2 tons in 4 Tests, than 1 double Ton in 4 Tests. ;)

"Tendulkar retires he can be prime minister if he wants"

For life! :D

Ag, now that Zimbabwe have collapsed for 35ao, what do you make of the current crisis there? :confused:

#1609 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:12 PM

The only way for the Zim team to improve is to first chuck out Mugabe and bring back the Flower brothers. They could try to import retired South African players. Otherwise, I dont see any future for them. Ever since the white men in the team have gone out, the blacks have begun to play according to tribal loyalties, I presume.

#1610 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:46 PM

This time round I present what is currently the shortest ever test match (although the impending tour of Zimbabwe by Australia could break this record:D), against South Africa 1932. The match was done and dusted in about 6 hours of playing time, on a brutal sticky naturally. Ironmonger picked up 11/24 in the match, one of the cheapest 11-fers ever.

:)

#1611 Belrick

Belrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:29 AM

Dont you dare compare a blatant cheat like murili to Sir RIchard Hadlee. Even the damn corrupt ICC has admited he chucks, though all theyve done is ban him from using his standard chucker delivery when he should have been banned for life.

Legends like beshin Bedi, people who know spin said immediatly that murili was a chucker.
ie: a cheat.

#1612 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:14 AM

I get the feeling that you don't like Mura very much. :D

#1613 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:12 PM

What do you think of Paul Adams' action? He always looks at the ground when he bowls. Is that legal?

#1614 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:31 PM

Once again we make a score of 280 odd, and once again it is overcome with apparent ease. Once again our bowlers prove themselves to be weak, ineffectual and indecisive in the face of adversary. Is Harmison really a world class bowler as his test ranking indicates? On current evidence of 2 for 126 off 20 overs over 2 days, I would say not. :confused:

#1615 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:35 AM

I personally think that Harmison is around because we need some kind of comedy in cricket. Any batsman would, in all probability, laugh himself out watching Harmi lumbering in to bowl. I'd love to see Harmison bowl to Chris Cairns or Andrew Symonds.

If Harmison is world-class material, we ought to be connoisseurs of some other game like, maybe, baseball or ice hockey.:D

#1616 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:51 PM

Awww, that harsh! ;)

#1617 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

Anyone know what a 'bowl out' is? I keep hearing the phrase with reference to numerous washed out C&G one day County matches, but I'm not sure what it is. :confused:

#1618 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:43 AM

I am not sure, but I think it is when you bowl your opponent out before the completion of the allotted overs.

BTW, Congrats on squaring the series. Trescothick must have gone berserk with 82 from 57 balls.

Good show, Blighty.:)

#1619 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

Cheers. :)

#1620 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:20 AM

The United States officially lodged its application to host matches in the 2007 cricket World Cup, along with ten Caribbean nations, when the bidding process closed on Friday.

USA bids to host World Cup matches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru