• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#1621 babu

babu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

...and if youse guys don't let us win, we'll invade and show you how 'Democratic Cricket' works...

Seriously, glad to see this sociable thread back at the top, even though I don't know WHAT your're all talking about, and it's too late for me to learn a new game.

#1622 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:51 PM

I don't think the US should host any matches unless they are actually playing in the WC itself.

Mura - 521 wickets. :) It's ironic that the best leggie that the world has seen (Shaney:)) may never hold the record for himself because of Mura prolificy. :(

#1623 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:39 PM

Babu,
It would be great to see the US and Iraq play cricket.:D

#1624 babu

babu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:57 PM

AG--Were I familiar with the game, I could write an absolutely hilarious post about a US vs. IRAQ match, but...

#1625 Bignose

Bignose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14937 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

I'll bet that some of those cricket players would be good at baseball. Thay would have a bit more fun too.

#1626 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:46 AM

Seeing that baseball is derived from cricket, I would think so too.

This is for you babu. Now try to come out with an imaginary Iraq versus USA match.:D

#1627 babu

babu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, AG, but I really need much more, such as history, how an actual game is played, names, letc., and I'm too far behind on the learning curve.

#1628 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:03 PM

To be honest, the best way to find out how the game is played, would be to watch a match, preferably on TV. I don't think there is much to say about the history except that it sort of manifested in the 1700's in the UK, and developed in the mid 1800's and spread in several countries in the world (especially those close to, or in, the British Empire) and refined itself over the 1900's. :)

Now names. What sort of names do you want to know? Senior officials in the games governing bodies? Current players? Past famous players and achievements?

#1629 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:56 AM

These names are worth looking into: They are my favorites.

Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Len Hutton, Sir Garfield Sobers, and Sir Richard Hadlee--each a legend in his own right.

And if you want the players of the people, none better than Ian Botham and David Gower.

Of course there is always Sachin Tendulkar...:D

#1630 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:29 AM

Murali makes him sick... :D

#1631 babu

babu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, all those things. Seriously, I'd have to study it, immerse myself in it for a week or two. And even then, you guys could do a better one than I could.

Ag, I hear they're putting camel milk in plastic paks (for use in tea) up in Rajasthar--what's up with that? You got some homesick Arabs up there?

#1632 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:39 PM

Hi guys! Back from deepest darkest Argentina! Good on the Poms in a hot one-dayer.

Babu....
Quote from a tea towel I brought back from Oz:

"Cricket; as explained to a foreign visitor:

You have 2 sides, one out in the field and one in. (the one that's out is in the field and the one that's in is off the field except for the 2 men who are in)
Each man who's in the side that's in goes in, until he is out then another who is in comes in, and so forth until all the men who are on the side that's in are out(except for the man who is not out even tho' he's in; then the side's out and the other side comes in. The side that goes out tries to get the side that's coming in out (including the not-outs)
When both sides have been in and out twice (including the not out) that's the end of the game.

PS if all both teams are not in AND out twice, then it's a draw (not a tie: a tie is when both teams are in and out twice and the score is the same)

Hope that clears things up for you:D :D :D

#1633 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

Hi Trav! :)

Um, about your explanation of cricket; I must confess that it confused even me. :confused: :D ;)

#1634 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:58 AM

babu,
There are more camels than cows in Rajasthan, which by the way is a desert. People there eat camel meat and drink camel milk. I believe it is more nutritious than cow's milk.
BTW, Nobody in Rajasthan plays cricket, probably because the ball wouldn't bounce.:D

This is cricket for Yanks explained by a Yank.

If you still dont understand it, you'd have to make a trip Down Under. The Ozzies are the world champs.

#1635 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:55 PM

Australia versus Zimbabwe

#1636 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:37 PM

A farce? Nah, they're bound to get literally several ozzie wickets in the series. :)

#1637 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:54 AM

Let's recap on exactly what all this means. The team will touch down in Harare tonight, fall into a deep sleep, then spend the next three days trying very hard neither to leave the hotel pool nor read a newspaper. On Monday they will commence a two-day tour match against Zimbabwe A, roughly equivalent in skill level to Footscray W. Then, over the following three weeks, they will play two Tests and three one-day games against Footscray's C-graders, otherwise masquerading as Zimbabwe's national XI.
And let's recap on exactly what's happened in the past month. Zimbabwe's politicians hijacked Zimbabwe's selection committee. Whites were told to bugger off. Heath Streak went on strike. Fourteen white team-mates joined him. Streak and his 14 white team-mates were sacked for not "returning to work". (Is there anyone left, incidentally, who can remember a time when cricket was called cricket and not "work" - a five-day plaything of pay-TV networks, soft-drink companies and the like? And isn't that part of the reason we're in this whole slimy mess?)

Bowl Mugabe out first then play cricket in Zimbabwe :cool:

#1638 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Sl, 681/3. Sanga 270, Attapattu(?) 249. Perhaps another world record innings score is in their sights. :D

#1639 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:30 PM

If they had any sense of decency and fairplay, they would let Zim bat for 8 successive innings instead of just two.

Ganguly was right. You need a two-tier system in cricket to separate the men from the boys.

Meanwhile a rather touching story. :D

#1640 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:39 PM

I never knew that Imran lived here. I suppose we should be honoured. :)

I'm surprised that SL declared with records for the taking. Setting up a first innings lead of 800-1000 might bring the devestating effect Mugabe has had on Zims cricket home to him. :mad:

"If they had any sense of decency and fairplay, they would let Zim bat for 8 successive innings instead of just two"

I think the umpires might have a few views on that. :eek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru