• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#1681 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

England have called up Surrey's Rikki Clarke and Michael Powell of Glamorgan to their NatWest Series squad as cover for the injured Marcus Trescothick and Andrew Flintoff.

Unbelievable...

#1682 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:09 AM

Ashley Giles (for want of a suitable name;) ) got married and eagerly snuggled up to his wife and asked, "Honey, are you a virgin?"
Mrs. Giles gave him a withering look and asked, "Honey, where in the world has a spinner ever got the new ball?":D

BTW,

I take back all I said about Harmison.

Viv Richards had plenty of time for England's latest pace-ace, Steven Harmison. "The last time I spoke to Beefy [Ian Botham] before the Test series in the Caribbean, his parting words were along the lines of, 'Watch out for Harmison, he's going to make the difference' - and sadly for West Indies cricket, he was correct." Richards may not be a selector anymore, but he certainly thinks he knows someone who would make a good selector. "I knew Beefy had always championed Harmison's cause, but it just goes to show that he would make a good selector."

After a couple of words of praise for his old Somerset teammate, Richards trained his sights squarely on Harmison. "There can be no doubt that England have unearthed a diamond," he said. "From what I saw in the West Indies a few months back, this particular guy is the real deal. Some of the English guys were calling him Baby Amby because his action has similarities with the way Curtly Ambrose used to bowl for us."

Richards thinks Harmison has made great strides in the recent past. "Having seen him earlier in his career, I would say he was not bowling in the right channels on a regular basis. But if England need a wicket now, the captain can throw the ball to Harmison as his No. 1 strike bowler. It's no good being 6ft 5ins and bowling at a good pace if you cannot land the ball consistently in the right zone, but that is what Harmison did in the Caribbean and he got his just rewards."

Gracious in defeat, Richards saluted Harmison's effort. "Although it was painful for us to be on the receiving end, you can only admire the way this individual bowled and the marvellous results he achieved. Yes, he did surprise a lot of people outside his own camp. But hats off to him for the way he has worked at his game."

"When you think of all the fast bowlers around the world, Harmison's performance against us was up there with the very best. He is England's main man, he's made a huge difference to the attack." Now that is fulsome praise, coming from a man who led a series of pace batteries that were right up there with the best.

If Viv says the same thing, maybe Sobers was right. :)

#1683 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:59 PM

Maybe. Let's hope so.

"England have called up Surrey's Rikki Clarke and Michael Powell of Glamorgan to their NatWest Series squad as cover for the injured Marcus Trescothick and Andrew Flintoff"

Unbelievable indeed. I would have prefered Bob Key to Powell, still, with Tresco back in action, it doesn't matter much now.

#1684 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:18 AM

For the good of the series, however, West Indies' victory is the best thing that could have happened. With New Zealand revitalised after their Test traumas, and Brian Lara at the helm of a youthful unit of matchwinners, it is suddenly England who will have to fight for the right to attend their own party.

Muddled England

#1685 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:27 PM

England better pray for rain!:(

#1686 Belrick

Belrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:49 AM

Not meaning to belittle achievements but its only one dayers, Test matches is the test of true skill I.M biased O.

#1687 Sketchy

Sketchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:20 AM

Oooooh Ahhhhh Glenn McGrath. Only three to beat now.

#1688 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:01 AM

Before Glenn played in this match I thought that he would be on the scrapheap, like Goughy should be, and then he comes back with a five-fer. Pretty good. Now, let's hope that Warney can get half a dozen wickets in the second innings. :)

On the subject of Ozzies Symonds has hammered a twenty20 match ton - 112 off 40 something and nobody else in the innings needed to make more than 12. :D

#1689 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:01 AM

We cricket aficionados from India think of Glenn McGrath as the clinical, scientific bowler who manages to always pitch the ball in the right place.

Glenn McGrath belongs to the list of all-time greats. If you can consistently pitch the ball just short of a good length on middle stump and get it to swing to almost between second and third slip, you are one of the gods of fast bowling.

Nothing beats a Tendulkar VS McGrath 6-ball duel, or a Lara VS McGrath 6-ball duel.

In such a situation, cricket transcends mere national borders.

Every 10-year-old boy who knew anything about bowling anywhere around the world would lend his telepathic support to Glenn McGrath because he bowls just the way you always wanted to bowl.

And every 10-year-old boy who knew anything about batting anywhere around the world would empathise with Tendulkar or Lara because he bats just the way you always wanted to bat.

Only cricket can unite people. We dont care what color we are, what gods we do or do not worship, what countries we belong to, or what our dietary preferences are, but here we are, Englishmen, Americans,New Zealanders, Australians, and Indians debating a game for more than a year and a half without throwing invective at one another like those blokes do at the Main, Religion, or other forums.

If Jesus had been here today, he would have played cricket.

God bless cricket.:D

Sorry folks, got a bit carried away. Smirnoff is potent.

Andrew Symonds is a treat to watch. He has that you-got-ball-me-got-bat philosophy to batting that is so exhilarating to see.

#1690 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:59 PM

The news that China was one of three countries granted affiliate membership of the ICC - the Isle of Man and Mexico were the others - will hardly grab the headlines in the cricket world. But with a population of 1.26 billion, China has the potential to be a massive force in any sport it cares to adopt, even if only a small percentage of the people are involved.

The Chinese are coming...

#1691 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:21 PM

Well, I would quite like the Chinks to get involved in the game, after all, they have already invented a method of bowling. The Chinaman obviously. :)

#1692 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:57 AM

:D

#1693 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:49 AM

Kalpesh Patel's fervour is religious and his homework impressive. He is convinced he can open the American mind to cricket and secure a spot for the game in the world's most lucrative sports market. He says he has a solid business plan, extensive market research and new poll data to back his dream of bringing cricket to a land that rocks to the rhythms of baseball and bows to the brawn of football. He has pre-emptively named himself Cricket Commissioner to get 'with the lingo' and match the status of the "baseball commissioner," a post that Condoleezza Rice, who reigns in the White House, once said was her dream job.

Goin' for da toss... :D

#1694 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:20 AM

Losing their bid to host world cup matches won't help, I daresay. :)

#1695 Belrick

Belrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:06 AM

What in tutentarnation happened to the English ODI cricket team?
?

#1696 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:28 AM

It truely is interesting that teams that can flop so badly in tests, can prove to be devestating ODI teams, and vica versa. Although, hell knows why we cannot win a single match batting first, make a 100 or 300. :confused: I think Fletch will be doing some serious work in the fielding department. That cost us the game more than anything.

Good luck in the final. :)

#1697 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:58 AM

Yes. England need to tone up their fielding. You cant expect Flinty and Harmy to win all your matches for you; the other 9 have to contribute too.

#1698 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:21 AM

...can maintain a run rate of almost 4 runs per over in a test match.

At this rate 600 is an easy score...

#1699 Belrick

Belrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:52 AM

Whats your guys thoughts on cricinfos world XI?
Im extremely disappointed to see no Aussies listed.

Remind me again whos the number one team in the world? I mean OMG harmison and Shoab Chucktar over McGrath?

#1700 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:35 PM

Although I haven't actually looked at the list, perhaps it is a world X1 squad to play against Australia, and therefore no Ozzies can be included. :eek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru