Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:16 AM

Now who said the Poms couldnt play cricket?:D

#1782 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

So, England v West Indies. Again. Could be close.

And what on earth is going on with television rights on the India tour? I knew nowt about it until the ozzies threatened to scrap the tour. :confused:

#1783 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:26 PM

First the Springboks No. 1; then the Springboks No. 2.

When cricket matches are played, India and Pakistan will come to a standstill.

Big $$$ at work, mate.:D

#1784 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:59 PM

'Tis contagious. :D

#1785 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:18 PM

I have a modest 500 bucks on England for the match with the Windies. If England lose, dammit zxb, I will never forgive you.:D

It is private wagering and the odds of England winning are 3 to 1. Somehow, the Windies are sentimental favorites here. I went against the conventional thinking and plunked my dough on England.

Dont you dare lose.:D

#1786 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:10 PM

It's out of my hands laddy. :D

#1787 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:21 PM

Back from Ukraine after 10 days!
Poms beat the Ozzies!!!!! g'damn!!!
Beers r on u Ag if the Poms win this; fancy them m'self, tho.

#1788 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:40 AM

Done Trav.:D

Maybe they should ask Harmison to knock Lara's head off.:D

#1789 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:20 PM

I think Ag might not have to buy the drinks. :mad:

#1790 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:46 PM

zxb,

To borrow John McEnroe's copyright phrase, you guys are the pits.

The whole cricketing world knows the Windies cant play spin and yet Ashley Giles doesn't have a shy at Bradshaw and Browne. Vaughan led like a clueless captain. He had WI at 80/5 and yet does not give Giles a chance to spin them out.

The only silver lining is that the game is going to become more interesting if blokes like Ian Bradshaw continue to play. Remarkable temperament. That is Barbados personified. Shades of other Barbadian greats in the way he plays.

I watched the match on TV and at the end I couldn't help feel happy when Bradshaw square drove the winning boundary.

They even turned down the umpires' offer of the light..

#1791 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:57 PM

Gough should never have been allowed to complete his 10 overs, and after his previous matches in the tournament, Wharf should not have been playing at all. I will never understand will Vaughan never even considered trying Gilo or even himself. It is not a giant imaginative leap. Spin won us the match again the ozzies. Shear folly. :(

#1792 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:52 AM

Just a game after all. Nobody died.

If the whole world played cricket, we wouldn't have wars, just fast bowling, and if you were good enough, you would hook the bloke for a six over fine leg.:D

In a way it is good that the 30-plus-year-old couple from Barbados gave us their dancing-in-the-dark act, and those of us fortunate enough to watch the match live on TV got to see a game where

...two Barbadians calmly took their team past what had seemed a hopelessly distant finishing line, scoring 71 runs off 91 balls. In the process they weathered a spell of ultra-quick bowling from Steve Harmison and won the hearts of every spectator in the ground by refusing the umpires' offer of bad light...

Cricketers' cricketers from the Caribbean - What do you mean by "bad light?"

"We are used to playing in the dark in the Caribbean," said Brown afterwards.

Big boys play in the dark? ;)

Lara - he is 35 and some people think he is on his last legs, but on Saturday only15 yards from the bat at short mid-wicket, he had less than a sixth of a second to pick up the line of the shot and yet held it as cleanly as if he had been grasping a tennis ball behind the baseline. Instinctive, brilliant, the product of genius plus hard work for a lifetime; all before you could blink. Then came the pause while he absorbed the enormity of his moment, the inspiration it should bring his team. He had dismissed the most destructive batsman among his opponents and turned the match.

His body language in this match, as he bustled round the nets, as he fine-tuned his field, as he brought on Chris Gayle's darting off-breaks before the 15th over, as he snatched the catch of the final/tournament/year/millennium - make your own choice - and then grabbed two more catches and ran out Marcus Trescothick, seemed to say he had picked out the final as his last chance to claim a major trophy.

That he succeeded was due entirely to Courtney Browne, who used to be the world's worst wicket-keeper but who is now a thinking batsman, Ian Bradshaw's unexpected ability to get a broad bat in the way of any delivery and a catch fit to inspire any team on the planet.

It was a miserable, wet as only muggy London can be, wrap-up-warm-dear-or-you-will-catch-your-death-of-cold sort of a day with grey skies stretching further than the eye could see and rain always in the wind. Brian Lara painted it gold.

Great match. Cricket won.:)

#1793 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

Sure, it's just a game, but it still riles that merely because of a bit of dumb captaincy, we lost a game that we were winning and should have won.

BBC sport ratings for our players. Although how Wharf got 5/10 the same a Gough and Solanki, I will never know. At least the latter 2 did something. 2/10 would be appropriate. :confused:

#1794 pacific

pacific

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6441 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:54 PM

bump

#1795 pacific

pacific

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6441 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:49 AM

bump

#1796 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:07 AM

Romans and cricket? You must be off yer 'ead, laddie.:D

#1797 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:30 PM

Ag, do you think that The Big Man will be playing against the evil empire in the first test or not? :)

#1798 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 05:40 AM

I believe he is going to change the way he bats. :cool:

#1799 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:21 PM

"Pitch terrible" says Buchanan. ;)

#1800 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:39 PM

Those ozzies are going to have to learn how to play spin if they don't want to be Turbanated again. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru