• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#1801 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:55 PM

Oz 316/5 at the end of day 1. Simon Katich and Michael Clarke impress. Kumble scalps 400th wicket.

#1802 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:38 PM

Gilly 30 odd not out and Clarke after a ton. Be afraid. :cool:

#1803 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:13 PM

150/6 with two schoolboys at the crease...

:(

#1804 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 02:42 PM

That's bad. But, you won the last series after going one down. Let's not lose hope. :)

#1805 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:49 PM

Yes, but we shouldn't make that a habit. Losing the first match of a series is lousy.

Let us hope that we will do better.

Clarke and Katich are class acts.:cool:

#1806 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:53 PM

Though question marks remain over his collection behind the stumps, Patel the batsman epitomises the spirit that was shown by this Indian team in Australia and Pakistan. When you see him face up to McGrath, you half fear that a concerned member of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children might run on to the field and shepherd him out of harm's way. But there was nothing remotely boy-against-man about the manner in which he played McGrath, with an impressive straight bat and terrific judgement of line and length.

Looks like a boy, bats like a man... :)

#1807 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

I remember Patel when he toured us in 2002. His pads looked miles too big for him, and the stumps seemed to come up to his hips. Helped save the match in your second dig though. :D

Perhaps the seniors will have learned from the way he played. :cool:

#1808 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:52 AM

...can you find two 12-graders playing for the national cricket team. They cant get a driving licence or vote, but they can play cricket for the country.:D

#1809 Brendon

Brendon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13976 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 01:02 PM

A duo like MGrath and Warne does not come to teams very often. They make a hell of a difference to the Australian team.

I can recall about 6 years ago at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) I stopped by to have a look. Boxing day Test against England as I remember.

Warne took the ball and that was it. Warne bowled for about 7 overs. No wickets were taken, but it was enthralling stuff. The two English batsmen had to see see him off. Just survive. Atherton was one, I can't remember the other batsman.

They mis-hit him about a dozen times. Barely scored a run, but they survived; and Warne is off. Then they smacked the ball all over the ground for the next six or so overs until Tea.

It was fascinating to watch Warne go on, then come off. The pressure on the batsmen was enormous. Its their careers at stake, or so it seemed.

MGrath is the same. You can feel the release of pressure when he has a spell.

#1810 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:22 AM

Warne is just scarey. There have been times when I just can't watch when he's bowling because something hideous is bound to happen. The time when he worked over, set up and finally bowled Alec Stewart is a case in point. It's a measure of the man. As for Mcgrath, I can only be relieved that he is just a fast medium, and not a genuine fast like Ray Lindwall. :)

#1811 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:23 AM

There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, of how McGrath used to practise bowling at one wicket and pitching the ball on a coin in front of it time after time after time. He has to be the most accurate fast bowler of all time.

Meanwhile, this is the SMS message doing the rounds here after India's dismal showing:

A man is caught in a traffic jam, when suddenly someone taps on the window of his car.

He lowers the window and asks the man what he wants.

The man says, "The Indian Cricket Team has been abducted and the ransom demanded is 50 million dollars. If the ransom is not paid, the abductors have threatened to douse the team with petrol and set them on fire. We are taking up a collection, do you wish to contribute?"

The man in the car asks, "On an average what are people donating?"

The other man replies, "About 5 to 10 litres....!!":mad:

#1812 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:59 PM

"There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, of how McGrath used to practise bowling at one wicket and pitching the ball on a coin in front of it time after time after time. He has to be the most accurate fast bowler of all time"

Sounds most likely. I know that Ian Botham and Fred Trueman did something very similar, cleaning up pennies laid on the pitch and on the stumps.

Don't forget that Tendulkar should hopefully be back next time. :)

#1813 Arvind

Arvind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5387 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:39 PM

i have some dislike for the indian cricketing team (as of now). they are merely going by the success of the 1983 world cup. that time, indian cricketeers were practically unknown. they did not have advt. people asking for acting on TV. in 1983, there was such a nice Team Work. they did not have ego rivalries like who is more popular, smarter etc.

#1814 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:56 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://uk.cricinfo.c..._10OCT2004.html

:( :( :(

#1815 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:05 AM

...he is not India. Tendulkars come and go; they are not larger than the country, however much they might desire being so.

There are a million Tendulkars out there who cant play because cricket happens to be a rich man's game.

It is time the team shrugged off his larger-than-life shadow leaning over it.

India will win even without Tendulkar.

Two twelfth-graders have already served notice.:cool:

The Australians played a better game and deserved to win.

#1816 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:18 PM

The world mourns Keith Miller. :(

#1817 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:28 PM

He was one of my heroes.

On another occasion, having omitted to nominate a 12th man, he found himself with 12 players on the field. He observed: "Well, one of you had better bugger off."

Keith Miller was a cricketers' cricketer, one who was not afraid even to take on the Don head on.

#1818 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:57 PM

Aye, he flew Mosquitos around my area during the war. Kings Lynn and Norfolk region. Apparently he once shot down once, made a forced landing, and was found playing in a local game of football nearby an hour later. A good chap. :)

#1819 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:28 AM

A good chap.

Amen. If he played football an hour after being shot down, he is something special.

He cut across borders. India mourns him.

After duelling with Messerschmitts in his Mosquito one night, he made an unauthorised detour over Bonn because it was Beethoven's birthplace, and he was a lover of the classics.

Miller was an inveterate partygoer, who once arrived to captain for NSW still wearing his tux from the previous evening's festivities, and then set the field with a single command: "Scatter."

...Neville Cardus, the prince of cricket writers, called him "the Australian in excelsis".

The Australian In Excelsis

The world of cricket mourns with Australia the death of one of its champion sons, Keith Miller.

#1820 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:48 AM

"His regard for those who had braved the hostilities surfaced again when England toured Australia in 1946-47, the first visit after the war. In the first Test in Brisbane they were caught on a sticky wicket and Bradman ruthlessly told Miller, making his war-delayed debut, to bounce their batsmen, including his friend and soul-mate Denis Compton and fellow fighter pilot Bill Edrich.

But not only was Miller friendly with most of them, he knew that they, too, had done their bit in the war and was not about to attempt to intimidate them for the sake of what he regarded as a mere game.

He refused point blank, and the incident is believed to have strained the relationship between him and Bradman, whose own war service never came to pass because of health problems.

It was no secret that the pair were not close, but unlike some of his contemporaries and predecessors Miller always resisted invitations to criticise the great man.

...A few years ago he told a journalist: "Put it this way, if I dropped dead tomorrow, I couldn't ask to have lived a better life."

He had class and style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru