:tralala:

#23 obmar

obmar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21253 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:16 AM

General

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 09, 2005 17:33 PM

Western Envoys Walk Out Over Dr Mahathir's Speech

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 9 (Bernama) -- Several Western diplomats including from the European Union (EU) Friday walked out in an apparent protest against criticism by former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad over the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis by America and Britain due to the sanctions and the war.

Among those seen walking out from the conference hall were British High Commissioner to Malaysia Bruce Cleghorn who were among 300 people who attended a public lecture on human rights delivered by Dr Mahathir.

The incident took place as Dr Mahathir who is known for his harsh criticism on Western countries' double standards on international issues, were criticising and exposing US and British policies in the pre and post occupation Iraq, which Dr Mahathir claimed had resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths of Iraqi innocent civilians, including 500,000 infants prior to the invasion.

"The result of the invasion is that many more people have been killed and injured than Saddam was ever accused of. Worse still, the powers which are supposed to save the Iraqi people have broken international laws on human rights," he said at the event organised by the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam).

"At the time this was happening where were the people who are concerned with human rights? Did they expose the abuses of Britain and America? Did they protest against their own government? No, it is because they, the enemy are killed. That is acceptable. But their own people must not be killed. To kill them is to commit acts of terror," Dr Mahathir said.

"Unfortunately, I found myself listening to abuse and misrepresentation about my country. I therefore left," Cleghorn said in a statement.

Later speaking to reporters, Dr Mahathir defended his rights to criticise Western countries.

"As much as they have the rights to criticise me, they should give me the rights to criticise them...but if you don't want to hear my criticism of them, then you are denying my rights," he said.

Asked about the comments he made in his speech about US role in Latin and Central America, Dr Mahathir said that countries in that region were very much afraid of the US and the "US exerts power over Latin America as it is its colony."

"They can't have an opinion. (Venezuelan President Hugo) Chavez for example, decides not to be pro-America. You look what kind of treatment he gets. (Cuban President Fidel) Castro for years not recognised and were applied sanctions.

"Of course he is not democrat, he is communist but people should have the freedom to choose whatever system, he said, referring to the two leaders, where many had accused the US of practicing a hostile policy against them.

He also defended his human rights record during his 22-year tenure as the leader of the country.

Dr Mahathir said that people had forgotten that it was he who released 23 detainees under the Internal Security Act (ISA) when he assumed the premier post in 1981, adding that there were still 500 people at that time under ISA but they were not detained by his government but by the previous government.

"If you study (the facts), more were detained before my time than during my time. Under Operasi Lalang we did arrest some people but then released them as soon as possible.

"You see I hate to use ISA but I have to point out even if you don't use ISA you had to go to the court and they will say you manipulate the courts. There is nothing you do that can be right to the eyes of these people," he said adding that the ISA was still needed to a certain extent but must be used very judiciously and sparingly.

While admitting that he condemned newspapers which had reported inaccurately about Malaysia during his time. Dr Mahathir said that there were also a lot of magazines and newspapers which were given licences and their views were tolerated.

"Well, I condemn papers which report about Malaysia incorrectly... I was not liked by them and when you are not liked by them, there is nothing you do which can be right. Others are not criticised because they are friendly. I am not very friendly," he said.

Replying to a question about 131 Thai Muslims who sought refuge in Malaysia, due to violence in southern Thailand, Dr Mahathir said that Malaysia had never seen the religion of the people when considering their request for shelter in this country.

"The Vietnamese... if we were against them because they were not Muslims there wouldn't be 125,000 living in Pulau Bidong, taking away one of our islands and we help them to migrate to other country. Now this 131, not because they are Muslims... people ask for asylum. In international practice you should consider them for asylum. I don't know what the government is going to do but at least you must examine it. Don't make it a religious affair (issue)," he said.

Dr Mahathir was also asked about the controversy by claims made by DAP in an article on the opposition's website that former Communist Party of Malaya (CPM) leader Chin Peng had contributed to the country's independence.

"To claim that he (Chin Peng) is a freedom fighter who actually gave Merdeka to Malaysia... I think it is little bit far fetched. Yes, he wanted Malaysia that is independent but with him as head and setup a Communist regime which is authoritarian. I don't think Malaysians would like that," Dr Mahathir said.

-- BERNAMA

#24 shaukat

shaukat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21822 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:19 AM

"Of course there were some in Iraq - but they were smuggled out to Hezbullah" - Mossad. :D

#25 BUDDIEE

BUDDIEE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2785 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:24 AM

But they doing a mini-Oscar performance for us dimwitted people. Cause we PARROT everything the MEDIA FEEDS US!!! :D

#26 Bushtapo

Bushtapo

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2520 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:55 PM

Daily Bump!!!:D

#27 shaukat

shaukat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21822 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:35 AM

Some Jew just posted that one of that 'Iraqi WMD' exploded in a Synagogue in Gaza. :cheers:

#28 Bushtapo

Bushtapo

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2520 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Bump!!!:D

#29 Bushtapo

Bushtapo

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2520 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:38 PM

:D

#30 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22883 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

The "funny" thing is....when pressed to explain the lack of WMD's.. the "boys" said:

"We hate to publically admit the following: An Iraqi or an Iranian told us a 'story'. We had bad Intel. Our bad. Crow about our stupidity. We deserve it."

And..of course - as anticipated - the Crowers Crowed... and "felt" very "good" Crowing.

Emotions then overrode their Intellects.

AFTER THE FACT, and considering the intense Global Indignation, not to mention the apparent troubles Domestically, would it have been any great shakes for Colin to give all a "peek" at any genuine Intel which is recognized as valid Intel by the Intel Community --- so as to give a genuine semblance of 'spainin' himself?

Even a Freekin' photo for Pete's sake?

But...any Intelligent investigatory "steam" over the WMD's was dissipated via that Crowing, especially after that image of a "story" as being the raison de guerre was allowed to float for more than a minute...

Hahahahahahaha!

#31 Bushtapo

Bushtapo

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2520 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

Daily bump!!!

#32 appleseed

appleseed

• Members