6 replies to this topic

#1 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:54 PM

Bush is supposedly leaving the U.S. for desitinations unknown. One stopover might be to look Chirac in the face and tell him he is going to blow their cover on the front pages of every newspaper and magazine in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2003
The French Connection
By WILLIAM SAFIRE

WASHINGTON

France, China and Syria all have a common reason for keeping American and British troops out of Iraq: the three nations may not want the world to discover that their nationals have been illicitly supplying Saddam Hussein with materials used in building long-range surface-to-surface missiles.

We're not talking about short-range Al Samoud 2 missiles, which Saddam is ostentatiously destroying to help his protectors avert an invasion, nor his old mobile Scuds. The delivery system for mass destruction warheads requires a much more sophisticated propulsion system and fuels.

If you were running the Iraqi ballistic missiles project, where in the world would you go to buy the chemical that is among the best binders for solid propellant?

Answer: to 116 DaWu Road in Zibo, a city in the Shandong Province of China, where a company named Qilu Chemicals is a leading producer of a transparent liquid rubber named hydroxy terminated polybutadiene, familiarly known in the advanced-rocket trade as HTPB.

But you wouldn't want the word "chemicals" to appear anywhere on the purchase because that might alert inspectors enforcing sanctions, so you employ a couple of cutouts. One is an import-export company with which Qilu Chemicals often does business.

To be twice removed from the source, you would turn to CIS Paris, a Parisian broker that is active in dealings of many kinds with Baghdad. Its director is familiar with the order but denies being the agent.

A shipment of 20 tons of HTPB, whose sale to Iraq is forbidden by U.N. resolutions and the oil-for-food agreement, left China in August 2002 in a 40-foot container. It arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus (fortified by the Knights Templar in 1183, and the Mediterranean terminus for an Iraqi oil pipeline today) and was received there by a trading company that was an intermediary for the Iraqi missile industry, the end user. The HTPB was then trucked across Syria to Iraq.

Syria has no sophisticated missile-building program. What rocket weaponry it has comes off the shelf (and usually on credit) from Russia, so it therefore has no use for HTPB. But cash-starved Syria is the conduit for missile supplies to cash-flush Saddam, as this shipment demonstrates. We will have to wait until after the war to find out how much other weaponry, for what huge fees, Saddam has stored in currently un-inspectable Syrian warehouses.

The French connection

#2 gonzo

gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14844 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:37 PM

Swine, as i recall you are partly french. (25%?).

As a protest because of your french blood, you should submit yourself to some kind of torture, Do your patriotic duty and give youself a smack or squeeze your hands in a vice or something. This may blow off some frustartion and guilt for being part french

I challenge you today to say something (genuine) nice about France. Even better start a new thread, go ahead and shock everyone, You can do it.

(I have left you alone for a couple of days, i needed a fix)

gonzo :) ( a proud Canadian with 100% German blood)

#3 Guest_CaptainAmerica_*

Guest_CaptainAmerica_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:55 PM

It took a lot of guts for the French to stand up to the US and that is very surprising given the fact that France is famous for not having any backbone.

But I, for one, have heard enough of their banter and it's time they put their little waiter uniforms back on and bring me some coffee.

Isn't France about as big as Illinois? Why do they even have a voice? Or better yet, why do they have such a "big voice.?"

I'll bet a dollar to a donut they are hiding something. I bet it can be found in Iraq too. France's current bravery is more than likely borne out of fear. That is more suitable to their M.O.

But I like France. I hope to visit there someday. I hear they are ruder than people from New Jersey. My kind of people.:P

#4 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 04:28 AM

Gonzo: Paris is a beautiful city. No question about it. I've walked all over the city when I was there and loved their subways. But as they say, France would be a wonderful country if not for the French in it.

#5 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:44 PM

France Denies Columnist's Report of 'French Connection' for Illegal Sales of Weapons
TBO.com ^

France Denies Columnist's Report of 'French Connection' for Illegal Sales of Weapons Material to Iraq The Associated Press

PARIS (AP) - France on Friday denied an American columnist's allegation that the government has allowed French companies to ship weapons-building material to Iraq. Foreign Ministry spokesman Francois Rivasseau did not identify the columnist, but his comments were an apparent reference to a piece by William Safire in The New York Times.

The claims "are devoid of any foundation," Rivasseau said. "French authorities have a particularly vigilant and strict control over the export of sensitive components and materials."

Safire alleged in a column Thursday that people in France, China and Syria had worked together to supply Baghdad with a chemical to build missiles. He suggested a French company had brokered a deal among a Chinese producer, a land transporter in Syria and the Iraqi buyer.

"The French connection ... is no great secret to the world's arms merchants," he wrote. "French intelligence has long been aware of it."

Safire also said he had information that a contract was signed in Paris for the sale of a missile fuel produced by a French company. He called France's export-control authorities "lax."

The columnist said fear that a war would uncover such links was a factor behind France's high-profile opposition to quick U.S.-led military action against Iraq.

Rivasseau denied French authorities had allowed such shipments, "directly or indirectly."

http://www.freerepub...GA606BJADD.html

#6 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:47 PM

A cynic might interpret this as a non-denial denial. (Shades of Watergate.)

#7 gonzo

gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14844 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

Originally posted by gonzo
Swine, as i recall you are partly french. (25%?).

As a protest because of your french blood, you should submit yourself to some kind of torture, Do your patriotic duty and give youself a smack or squeeze your hands in a vice or something. This may blow off some frustartion and guilt for being part french

I challenge you today to say something (genuine) nice about France. Even better start a new thread, go ahead and shock everyone, You can do it.

I forget you had some french blood.. SCA you have some french blood to ??

the beating of Haliburton's war drums...........France, China and Syria all have a common reason for keeping American and British troops out of Iraq: the three nations may not want the world to discover that their nationals have been illicitly supplying Saddam Hussein with materials used in building long-range surface-to-surface missiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru