277 replies to this topic

#21 Magoo

Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the great pictures Nemesis. I hope Shura will share some more of his personal experiences with us. Only he knows these experiences first hand and can give the rest of us a chance to share in what it was like to be there.
Thanks Shura and thank you for your service.

Edited by T-Koga, 23 March 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#22 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

I was with First Ukrainian Front only about 3 months from Kladovo and San Severin till they left for Berlin, that is Sep. 1944 to Jan 1945 as a translator mostly with night Reconnaissance. Speaking local languages and Russian was essential, since all the food supplies Russians got were from the local market. Of course. Titos partizans made sure that Russians did not go hungry, but food supply was scarce for all. At Mount Avala, Russians were dug in waiting for the huge German column heading from Greece and Bulgaria. Of course, Germans had no idea that Russians had crossed Danube, even. Russians allowed about 2 miles of the convoy to continue, before blasting them.We were sitting in the basement of a restaurant called Hunters Meeting. The firing continued for about five hours, and yelling and screaming of the wounded, I guess. When the Daylight came, we opened the door towards what would have been regarded as a "parking lot' of sorts, and there were at least hundred of corpses laying in the place, some of the wounded, managed still to ask for water, but there was no quarter given, they latd there until they expired. Further along the highway laid hundreds of dead Germans, unburied, and since I had to walk at night often I stumbled upon them. It was September so the stench was overwhelming. In front of the Hunters meeting" (Lovaski sastanak) laid a van on its side, the contents spilled out on the ground next to it, thousands of banknotes documents,military personal documents photograps you name it. But all Russians were looking for is WATCHES, they stepped on this mess dug around in the van and turfed the money out in bundles

#23 Magoo

Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Sounds like living in a bad dream. I can't imagine what the constant danger was like, the worry had to take a toll on a person.

I wonder if it was like when Poroshenkos' soldiers tried to bring their heavy arms out of a couldron after agreeing to walk out through a green corridor their with small arms only.

They were ordered by Poroshenko to break the agreement, and they paid a heavy price. They got hit the same way the Germans got hit at Mt. Avela where you was an eyewitness. Of course the German column was many times bigger.Thank you for sharing Shura.

#24 wirehaired

wirehaired

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11540 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Great pictures and accounts of the time,thanks all for posting.

#25 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like living in a bad dream. I can't imagine what the constant danger was like, the worry had to take a toll on a person.

I wonder if it was like when Poroshenkos' soldiers tried to bring their heavy arms out of a couldron after agreeing to walk out through a green corridor their with small arms only.

They were ordered by Poroshenko to break the agreement, and they paid a heavy price. They got hit the same way the Germans got hit at Mt. Avela where you was an eyewitness. Of course the German column was many times bigger.Thank you for sharing Shura.

It was really dumb from German Comand to walk into a trap in Avala for sure

#26 Magoo

Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, sounds like Germans said to hell with it and moved without proper intelligence data. They took a chance and paid dearly for being so reckless.

#27 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

Yeah, sounds like Germans said to hell with it and moved without proper intelligence data. They took a chance and paid dearly for being so reckless.

It was about 10,000 Germans that died in Avala. It helped Russians enormously because the defenses further up to Hungarian border were Minimal. In Srem Nazis sent thousand of Jews who joined them, and they folded up pretty quick

#28 Nemesis

Nemesis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 17754 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

Respect to the hero veteran

11083674_10152854684364037_5294947606711

#29 wirehaired

wirehaired

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11540 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

T34 Tank,that Tank was the best of WW2,very crude in its fabrication but very effective,it could match anything the Nazis had and they had some good stuff. :flag:

#30 Magoo

Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:24 AM

OMG It brings tears to my eyes finding this picture.

It is such a powerful message. After all the years old warrior did not forget his fallen comrades in arms.

#31 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

T34 Tank,that Tank was the best of WW2,very crude in its fabrication but very effective,it could match anything the Nazis had and they had some good stuff. :flag:

Nothing equaled T=34, twelve cylinder 500HP motor , three starting systems. four enormous soda acid batteries, and escape hatch in emergency through the floor, so the crew did not burn to death, plus 200mm armour plate of the best Magnitogorsk steel.

#32 Nemesis

Nemesis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 17754 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

#33 Nemesis

Nemesis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 17754 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

Zhuravli (Журавли)

Мне кажется порою, что солдаты
С кровавых не пришедшие полей,
Не в землю нашу полегли когда-то,
А превратились в белых журавлей.

Они до сей поры с времен тех дальних
Летят и подают нам голоса.
Не потому ль так часто и печально

Мы замолкаем глядя в небеса?

Летит, летит по небу клин усталый,
Летит в тумане на исходе дня.
И в том строю есть промежуток малый -
Быть может это место для меня.

Настанет день и журавлиной стаей
Я поплыву в такой же сизой мгле.
Из-под небес по-птичьи окликая
Всех вас, кого оставил на земле.

Мне кажется порою, что солдаты
С кровавых не пришедшие полей,
Не в землю нашу полегли когда-то,
А превратились в белых журавлей.

Taken from http://lyricstransla...l#ixzz3VVA9SgZ2

The Cranes
Versions: #1#2#3#4

At times, it seems to me that the soldiers
Who didn't return from the bloody fields
Didn't fall down once into the soil,
But turned instead into white cranes.

From that distant past to this very day,
They're flying and crying out to us.
Is this not why, so often and with sadness
We hush up, gazing at the heavens?

In the sky, a weary flock is flying, flying,
Flying in the mist at the expiration of day.
In their ranks, there's a tiniest of spaces-
Perhaps that's a space meant for me.

There will come a day when I will also swim
Through that blue-grey darkness with the flock,
Calling out bird-like from the heavens
To all those of you who I've left on earth.

At times, it seems to me that the soldiers
Who didn't return from the bloody fields
Didn't fall down once into the soil,
But turned instead into white cranes.

Submitted by avatar-default-u.png hippoknight on Sun, 05/05/2013 - 22:32

#34 Nemesis

Nemesis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 17754 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Stalin's Victory Address
(May 9, 1945)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comrades! Compatriots, men and women! The Great Day of Victory over Germany has come. Fascist Germany, forced to her knees by the Red Army and the troops of our Allies, has acknowledged her defeat and declared unconditional surrender. 

On May 7, the preliminary protocol of surrender was signed in the city of Rheims. On May 8, representatives of the German High Command, in the presence of representatives of the Supreme Command of the Allied troops and of the Supreme Command of the Soviet troops, signed in Berlin the final act of surrender, the execution of which began at twenty-four hours, May 8. 

Being aware of the wolfish habits of the German ringleaders, who regard treaties and agreements as an empty scrap of paper, we had no reason to believe their words. Since this morning, in pursuance of the act of surrender, German troops in mass have begun to lay down arms and surrender to our troops. 

This is no longer an empty scrap of paper. This is the real surrender of Germany's armed forces. 

True, one group of German troops in the area of Czechoslovakia is still evading surrender. But I hope the Red Army will be able to bring it to its senses. 

Now we can note with full satisfaction that the historical day of the final rout of Germany, the Day of the Great Victory of our people over German imperialism, has come. The great sacrifices we have made in the name of freedom and our defense of our Motherland, the incalculable privations and sufferings experienced by our people in the course of the war, the strained work in the rear and at the front-placed on the altar of the Motherland-have not been in vain and have been crowned by complete victory over the enemy. 

The age long struggle of the Slav peoples for their existence and their independence has ended in victory over the German invaders and the German tyranny. Henceforth, the great banner of freedom of nations and peace among nations will fly over Europe. 

Three years ago Hitler publicly stated that his aims included the dismemberment of the Soviet Union and the wresting of the Caucasus, the Ukraine, Byelorussia, the Baltic and other regions from it. He declared bluntly: "We will destroy Russia, so that she will never be able to rise again." This happened three years ago. However, Hitler's crazy ideas were not fated to succeed. The course of the war scattered them to the winds. In actual fact, something directly opposite to the Hitlerites' ravings has taken place. Germany has been utterly defeated. The German troops are surrendering. The Soviet Union is celebrating victory, although it does not intend to dismember or destroy Germany. 

Comrades! The Great Patriotic War has ended in our complete victory. The period of the war in Europe is over. The period of peaceful development has begun. 

I congratulate you upon the victory, my dear compatriots, men and women! 

Glory to our heroic Red Army which upheld the independence of our Motherland and won victory over the enemy! 

Glory to our great people-the victor people! 

Eternal glory to the heroes who fell in the battles against the enemy and gave their lives for the freedom and happiness of our people.

:pobeda:   :Sovietflag: :victree:

#35 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

Stalin's Victory Address
(May 9, 1945)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comrades! Compatriots, men and women! The Great Day of Victory over Germany has come. Fascist Germany, forced to her knees by the Red Army and the troops of our Allies, has acknowledged her defeat and declared unconditional surrender. 

On May 7, the preliminary protocol of surrender was signed in the city of Rheims. On May 8, representatives of the German High Command, in the presence of representatives of the Supreme Command of the Allied troops and of the Supreme Command of the Soviet troops, signed in Berlin the final act of surrender, the execution of which began at twenty-four hours, May 8. 

Being aware of the wolfish habits of the German ringleaders, who regard treaties and agreements as an empty scrap of paper, we had no reason to believe their words. Since this morning, in pursuance of the act of surrender, German troops in mass have begun to lay down arms and surrender to our troops. 

This is no longer an empty scrap of paper. This is the real surrender of Germany's armed forces. 

True, one group of German troops in the area of Czechoslovakia is still evading surrender. But I hope the Red Army will be able to bring it to its senses. 

Now we can note with full satisfaction that the historical day of the final rout of Germany, the Day of the Great Victory of our people over German imperialism, has come. The great sacrifices we have made in the name of freedom and our defense of our Motherland, the incalculable privations and sufferings experienced by our people in the course of the war, the strained work in the rear and at the front-placed on the altar of the Motherland-have not been in vain and have been crowned by complete victory over the enemy. 

The age long struggle of the Slav peoples for their existence and their independence has ended in victory over the German invaders and the German tyranny. Henceforth, the great banner of freedom of nations and peace among nations will fly over Europe. 

Three years ago Hitler publicly stated that his aims included the dismemberment of the Soviet Union and the wresting of the Caucasus, the Ukraine, Byelorussia, the Baltic and other regions from it. He declared bluntly: "We will destroy Russia, so that she will never be able to rise again." This happened three years ago. However, Hitler's crazy ideas were not fated to succeed. The course of the war scattered them to the winds. In actual fact, something directly opposite to the Hitlerites' ravings has taken place. Germany has been utterly defeated. The German troops are surrendering. The Soviet Union is celebrating victory, although it does not intend to dismember or destroy Germany. 

Comrades! The Great Patriotic War has ended in our complete victory. The period of the war in Europe is over. The period of peaceful development has begun. 

I congratulate you upon the victory, my dear compatriots, men and women! 

Glory to our heroic Red Army which upheld the independence of our Motherland and won victory over the enemy! 

Glory to our great people-the victor people! 

Eternal glory to the heroes who fell in the battles against the enemy and gave their lives for the freedom and happiness of our people.

:pobeda:   :Sovietflag: :victree:

Thank you for "Журавлеи"

#36 Magoo

Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

The fascists have returned to try again.
This time the Axis of Evil will have to be defeated if Russia is to survive.

Hitler publicly stated that his aims included the dismemberment of the Soviet Union and the wresting of the Caucasus, the Ukraine, Byelorussia, the Baltic and other regions from it. He declared bluntly: "We will destroy Russia, so that she will never be able to rise again."

The Axis of Evil intends to carry out Hitlers intentions to the letter.

#37 Nemesis

Nemesis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 17754 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

The fascists have returned to try again.
This time the Axis of Evil will have to be defeated if Russia is to survive.

Hitler publicly stated that his aims included the dismemberment of the Soviet Union and the wresting of the Caucasus, the Ukraine, Byelorussia, the Baltic and other regions from it. He declared bluntly: "We will destroy Russia, so that she will never be able to rise again."

The Axis of Evil intends to carry out Hitlers intentions to the letter.

Yes, the US/western narrative is exactly the same so that rather confirms they are fascist Nazis.

#38 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

Yes, the US/western narrative is exactly the same so that rather confirms they are fascist Nazis.

They are facing a tough time just coming out alive, if the conflict does occur.

#39 Magoo

Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

We see their tactics in Ukraine. When armed forcess os NovoRossya gets them on the ropes they want a cease fire and "talks" to buy time to regroup and rearm.

They got away with this twice already and are coming back much stronger this time. I think some friend wants NAF to be defeated.

No more cease fire for little Goering Porkychenko.

Edited by T-Koga, 26 March 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#40 Nemesis

Nemesis

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 17754 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

10862656_10152911013248411_4894032786371

Picture at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin is one of the symbols of Victory. Only decades later, the country learned the name Maria Limanskaya. Lenta.Ru visited visiting Maria Filipovna...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Pravda.Ru