• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4303 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

After I've finished Quake 4, I've almost puked. Pure militarism & imperialism. Enemy world was modeled after the Middle East, and enemies looked like typical resistance fighters.

Quake-4-Concept.jpg1263238416_quake4_6.jpg

After finishing Metro 2033, on the other hand, my 1st reaction was to listen to the 1st Russian Orthodox chant I've managed to find on YouTube.

Hell, the bloody thing almost managed to convert my Atheist/Communist ass. Almost. Not enough to convert, but more than enough to win my respect for Orthodox Christianity. The best spent 10 & something Euros I've ever made on a computer game :)

Metro 2033 even features Sparta Rangers, who use the same logo as the Donetsk Sparta Batallion.

Mertro 2033 Sparta Rangers Logo:SpartaLogo.jpg

Motorola's Batallion:900px-Flag_of_the_Sparta_Battalion.svg.p

Almost spooky, prophetic, even!

Edited by mataj, 07 September 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#2 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:07 AM

You do not have to convert to enjoy services of many faiths. Being a Muslim I have attended synagogues, churches and multi religious services and enjoyed it very much

#3 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4303 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

I'm working through the sequel, "Metro: Last light" right now.

The game was released in June 2014, about the same time Motorola's Sparta Battalion was formed. The player is a member of the "Sparta Rangers" who feature the same logo, similar helmets, and the same culture as Sparta Battalion. They even mention a guy named Arseny (Motorola's real name). "Sparta Rangers" are obviously the good guys.

The game was made in Kiev, and distributed through the usual US based production companies. I'd say Ukrainian & US censorship screwed it up big time.  :creasup:

Edited by mataj, 08 September 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#4 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4303 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

OK, still making my way through... The Metro 2033 was selling the "Communism = Nazism" bullshit, but in the Metro: Last light, this is no longer entirely symmetrical. Nazis are portrayed as bad, totally crazy & stupid guys, and commies are portrayed as bad, smart, rational, and scary guys. Much more game time was devoted to the Reds, at least until now. Moreover, there is free trade in the Commieland, as well as culture, Bolshoi Theatre, kankan, and sexy asses:

From 20:14 on:

Edited by mataj, 08 September 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#5 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:17 AM

OK, still making my way through... The Metro 2033 was selling the "Communism = Nazism" bullshit, but in the Metro: Last light, this is no longer entirely symmetrical. Nazis are portrayed as bad, totally crazy & stupid guys, and commies are portrayed as bad, smart, rational, and scary guys. Much more game time was devoted to the Reds, at least until now. Moreover, there is free trade in the Commieland, as well as culture, Bolshoi Theatre, kankan, and sexy asses:

From 20:14 on:

ТРЕВОГА!

#6 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4303 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

ТРЕВОГА!

If you are referring to the "anxiety, dismay, apprehension, trepidation, disturbance, agitation" meaning of this word- you're bloody right.

I've just worked my way to the lamest possible end of this game. I haven't gathered enough moral points for anything better than this. Moral point system is hidden from the player. You just have to guess it.

I wouldn't be interested in computer games, but my son works professionally in this field. He told me a thing and two about it. It's 8th, 10th, or whatever'th form of art. If you have any doubt about it, Metro should disperse it. Dostoevsky on steroids!

I'm starting from the beginning again, Russian audio & English captions this time. Hopefully, I'll learn at least some spoken Russian. As far as I'm concerned, art is the most pleasant way of learning something. As our junkies would say: Delivered straight to your vein!

Edited by mataj, 14 September 2015 - 10:02 PM.

#7 ozzi

ozzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

Matay, keep hell and the bloody bit out (smile)  but thank you so very much for posting the chant of the 

Orthodox Church. So much love has gone into building those amazing Cathedrals that Russian people had to pay for after the war. So much reverence in the chants and so much different from what western Churches have done. May God continue to bless Russia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Pravda.Ru