• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4303 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

If you know two Slavic languages, it's fairly easy to learn the 3rd, or so they say. Yet, one has to beware of so called "false friends"- words with different, but similar meaning.

The most radical examples I've came across so far

• In the happier times, some decades ago, me, my wife, and our Croatian friends were sitting on the beach, looking at the beautiful sunset. Slovenian word for sunset is "zahod". In Croatian & Serbian, "zahod" means "toilet". My wife (she's a bit less than foreign language savvy) tried to start a romantic discussion about the said sunset. We pissed ourselves laughing.
  • Speaking of discussion: Slovenian word for discussion is "razprava". Similar sounding word in Russian, "расправа", means "massacre". Oh, my.

Edited by mataj, 28 January 2016 - 01:03 AM.

#2 Shura

Shura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25707 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

If you know two Slavic languages, it's fairly easy to learn the 3rd, or so they say. Yet, one has to beware of so called "false friends"- words with different, but similar meaning.

The most radical examples I've came across so far

• In the happier times, some decades ago, me, my wife, and our Croatian friends were sitting on the beach, looking at the beautiful sunset. Slovenian word for sunset is "zahod". In Croatian & Serbian, "zahod" means "toilet". My wife (she's a bit less than foreign language savvy) tried to start a romantic discussion about the said sunset. We pissed ourselves laughing.
  • Speaking of discussion: Slovenian word for discussion is "razprava". Similar sounding word in Russian, "расправа", means "massacre". Oh, my.

It is "NUZNIK" in Serbian, zahod is Croatian around Maribor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Pravda.Ru