55 replies to this topic

#41 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:19 AM

azov,

.I understand..that "Anatomy" is very 'comprehensive'...I admit I had to get it back to the library before I got it finished...:(

#42 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:22 AM

Plsek, I think you're inflating casualty figures slightly. Regardless, I understand your concerns, though I believe that freedom for the Iraqi people is worth this extreme effort. I never bought into the adminstration's propaganda that Iraq is a direct threat to us, which is why my main support for this war is based upon human elements and not Iraq's offensive capabilities.

Every people, on every continent, within every nation deserve freedom. Why so many dictatorships and oppressive governments arise within this world is directly linked to the fact that other governments and citizens of those nations turn away from the suffering of their neighbors, simply because it doesn't directly affect their own lives. If we're not the individuals being dragged away during the night or executed at dawn, we simply find it more comfortable to blissfully and erronously believe that these conditions do not exist, and if they do, they're simply none of our business. We, are the creators of these monsters, by the simple premise that we do nothing to deter their actions.

#43 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:24 AM

cubyfan,

I am not sheltering my children from this. I have been talking with them about this for weeks. They have been discussing it somewhat at school. I told them tonight that the war would start. They are aware of what is going on. But waking them up to see what? We can see some flashes of light, sounds of fire, news reporters. Is this a true representative of what is really going on there? This is reality?

#44 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:33 AM

Stark,

Yes, exageratting the numbers a bit...but this was in a response to swine's post where he was claiming millions of americans might die if we don't do a pre-emptive strike.

Anyways, I agree, everyone does deserve freedom from dictatorships. But I still believe this must come from the people. All throughout history there have been revolutions - you can't tell me it's impossible. Assiting a revolution initiated from the people to over-throw the government would be one thing. Bombing a country and enforcing a regime change and calling it democracy doesn't make sense to me.

#45 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:35 AM

The chaos of conflict has that unique ability to cause a complete breakdown of social behaviour. Whatever emotions (and deeds) humanity is capable of, it is most certainly shown.

#46 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:38 AM

cubyfan,

Also this will be much more of a reality than they will be taught in school, most likely by their liberal hippy teachers, who will skew it all out of context.

LOL! You don't have to worry about that - not in their school. I've had run-ins with them myself. Last year one of them accused my daughter of being anti-american because she stated where she had seen reports of afghani's burning the food packets we were dropping. No, we live in a very conservative area cuby.

#47 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:41 AM

"Bombing a country and enforcing a regime change and calling it democracy doesn't make sense to me."

Plsek: I suspect you would feel quite differently if a member of your family had been put through a shredder feet first (to inflict maximum pain prior to dying), dissolved in a vat of acid, eyes gouged out, tongue cut out, or or otherwise tortured unmercifully by these sadistic monsters that are Saddam and his sons.

#48 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:43 AM

Swine,

I would want Saddam and his minions all dead. I wouldn't want my country destroyed. I wouldn't want to see more senseless suffering and deaths.

#49 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:52 AM

On that we agree. I don't want even one innocent Iraqi killed. It is now being reported that up to two full Iraqi divisions are surrendering. And that 2,000 pound bunker buster bomg was directed at Saddam himself.

Don't you know that if we remove him that the sanctions will be removed immediately? All of these Iraqi kids and civilians deprived of necessary food and other essentials will have immediate help instead of Saddam continuing to build another elaborate palace and weapons of mass murder. This is entirely a moral and justifiable operation both from the standpoing of our own security and for the long-suffering Iraqi people.

And we haven't even begun to see the weapons of mass murder that will be revealed once he is toppled. The world will be amazed. And the French will never live it down.

#50 LifeisGood

LifeisGood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 04:55 AM

" I've had run-ins with them myself. Last year one of them accused my daughter of being anti-american because she stated where she had seen reports of afghani's burning the food packets we were dropping."

Hmm, reading between the lines here. I believe theres more to this story than you are telling us plsek. Reporting a story anti-American, hmmm.

#51 LifeisGood

LifeisGood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 05:04 AM

I lived in Denver for years and let me tell you it's no right wing city. Thats reserved for Colorado Springs.

#52 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:45 AM

LifeisGood,

Actually there is a big story there and many different incidences, but it's not very flattering on the teacher. At first she said that my daughter was lying. That the afghan people were very grateful and happy we are there. My daughter persisted saying that some people were afraid of the food and were burning the packets. The teacher replied that the must she must be watching "a different kind of TV, because it wasnt' true. Why are you so anti-american?" Also when discussing christmas/holiday decorations at school, my daughter proposed a "peace on earth" theme. Saying they should try to represent all nationalities and religions. She said she was concerned about the muslim students feeling alienated in school. She mentioned "allah" and the teacher heard "ayatollah" - took her down to the office and lectured her on how bad the ayatollah from Iran was - (my daughter didn't know what she was talking about - never heard of the ayatollah)

We had a conference together with my daughter, it took awhile and then it was like a lightbulb - oh, she is truly concerned about the war (afghan). She told me in that conference that she purposely ignored my daughter and would not let her speak because she honestly thought that she just wanted to "stir things up" (exact words).

This year my daughter checked out a book on Buddhism and a teacher stopped you to lecture her about it. He said "Let me ask you...where is Buddha now?" "..I'll tell you, he is in the ground"..."Now where is Jesus?"...."Jesus is in heaven, that's the difference you see. When you finish that book, I have one for you to read."

#53 mataj

mataj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4254 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:55 AM

The best advice you can give your children right now is:

Don't believe a single bit of the crap TV & media is ramming down your throat in the wartime!

#54 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:22 PM

mataj,

No doubt! Truth is the first casualty of war :(

#55 Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Boogiein' along. . .

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:46 PM

Plsek: These anecdotal stories are interesting but I wonder how common they are. Did you talk to the principle? It sounds to me that the teacher was out of line but I always believe in getting both sides of the story.

#56 obmar

obmar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21253 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

Is the war over, now?

Are you all still feeling the same way as when you started this thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru