• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Randolph

Randolph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 05:05 PM

I think I understand the basics of Islam from the encyclopedia, but I have a few other questions.

1. Is it true that Muslims all have an alchohol prohibition, and do not drink alchohol? (crime and relationship problems are from intoxications and addictions).

2. Do Muslims manufacture and smoke or chew tobacco?

#2 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:59 PM

Both alcohol and tobacco are haram (I think that's what they call it) - sinful, not to be done, but not automatically getting you sent to Hell either. Basically they are just no-no's.

BTW not all crime and relationship problems stem from alcohol, intoxications or addictions. Some do, others have their basis in other problems but are exacerbated by substance abuse.

Strangely enough, a Costa Rican study on marijuana discovered that in households where marijuana was the only intoxicating substance used (no alcohol or anything else), incidents of divorce, domestic violence and child abuse were far below the norm for even households that had no substance use at all.

So roll me up another joint! The wife will be home soon!

#3 visitoronline

visitoronline

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:11 PM

Hugonaut,
You say:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
I would consider myself a "plurality in unity"....one with God (trinity).
It's really a matter of spiritual understanding that counts!!
Binary is ok for computers.

#4 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:24 PM

Hmmm....so you are polytheistic? Cool.

I'm not really sure whether you got the binary joke or not.

#5 obmar

obmar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21253 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 07:22 AM

The drink prohibited in the Qur'an is described under the name Khamar meaning any intoxicating
thing that clouds or obscures the intellect. The Qur'anic verses reveal that prohibition of alcohol was
not introduced overnight. In the first stage it was pointed out that its harm outweighed the benefits.

(2:219) They ask thee about strong drink and games of chance. Say in both of them is great sin and
some advantages for men, and their sin is greater than their advantage.

The next stage was when the Muslims were prohibited from coming to the mosque while drunk.

(4:43) O ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when ye are drunken, till ye know that which
ye utter....

Finally intoxicating liquors were prohibited as the handiwork of the devil.

(5:90) O ye who believe! Strong drink and games of chance and idols and divining arrows are only
an infamy of devil's handiwork. Leave it aside in order that ye may succeed.

(5:91) The devil only desires to cause enmity and hatred to spring in your midst by means of
intoxicants and games of chance, and to turn you from rememberence of Allah and from his (His)
worship. Will you then refrain?

In this connection I would like to quote the following extract from a handout titled " The Islamic view
on the prohibition of alcohol", by S.M Bleher.

"Everybody would admit that there are problems with alcohol. 'Drink driving, for example', or violent
crimes in which alcohol plays a part. Yet most agree that the moderate consumption of alcohol as is
customary in western society does not much harm.

#6 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:28 PM

Great post obmar, thanks for clearing that up.

BTW is "haram" the right term for realtively minor sins or forbidden practices in Islam?

#7 nitemere

nitemere

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3986 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:32 PM

hey boy your slow and why are you attacting other people beleifs the MOSLEMS agree with me when i casterated the pervert messing around a eight year old girl when i was nine. so what those same people murdered somany innocent children since then in the state of florida but you don't care all you care is disproving what i say bu calling me a nutcase. S.A. has the right idea very public excutions because of that american military personall are at risk.

#8 Randolph

Randolph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 06:02 PM

Actually, improper chemical substances are related to most crime. Most crime is committed by ignorant poor people who are either intoxicated, or addicted/using some chemical substance.

Ignorant rich people have lots of money to keep themselves busy with lots of toys, so they do not feel so discontent as the ignorant poor. Ignorant poor have fewer brain activities, many more stress factors and problems in life, so they often feel discontent more than others.

The discontent search for contentment. The ignorant poor with all the problems and no harmless brain activities for contentment often chooses the wrong solution to cure his problem: bad medicine. The improper chemical substances then lead to intoxication and addiction, which obscures proper thinking, which leads to crime and relationship problems.

W.B.Enc. 1970 says: 65 % of United States fatal car accidents are from substance abuse.

I tried to find comprehensive info on relationships, but it is not easy for me to find. It sounds like a large percentage of U.S. marriages end in divorce, and I wonder if it is not also increased by obscurred thinking from improper substances?

Divorce is lower with religious people, college graduates, (educated) and rich people.

Divorce is high with poor people, Americans, and the American west coast (clothing factor?).

Farmers are an exception. Farmers have an extremely low divorce rate.

Ignorance and poverty chooses bad medicine which lead to relationship problems and crime.

#9 Randolph

Randolph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 06:05 PM

In Islamic countries, are improper substances against the law or just discouraged without a law?

#10 nitemere

nitemere

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3986 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 06:48 PM

oops i see you.

you know S.A. has the right idea about their form of justice take i finger,take a hand, take a foot, take a eye, casterate if the perp is a pervert take a head if the perp is a robber or a murderer and incarsarate for life if the perp is a drug dealer or have done white crimes. i wish american justice was so swift.

#11 obmar

obmar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21253 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:01 PM

drinking/misuse of alcohol = Bad

Smoking tobacoo = Bad

Use of illegal drugs = Bad

:cool:

#12 Concerned

Concerned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

With respect to eating, drinking, the substances are divided into Halal (allowed) and Haram(not allowed).
Any intoxicating substance and pork are among the Haram. Infact any substance that intoxicates in a large quantity is also Haram in small quantities. So even a sip is Haram, even if it does not intoxicate you.
Smoking on the other hand is considered by some as Makruh i.e. disliked but not haram while some islamic scholars declare it as Haram.

Muslims are not allowed to handle drinks let alone drink it. That means working at bars is out. Nearly in all muslims countries, alcohol is banned by law. Yes they have them in hotels for the foreigner non-muslims. But otherwise in most countries it is banned by law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru