6 replies to this topic

#1 Atossa

Atossa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37407 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

Alexander the Great conquered Persia.

Below are excerpts from an account by ancient Greek historian and senator of the Roman Empire, Arrian of Nicomedia, in "Anabasis." This is an account how a conquering Aryan king, Alexander, interacted with the memorial tomb of Persia's famous Aryan king, Cyrus.

" Aristobulus relates that Alexander found the tomb of Cyrus, son of Cambyses, broken into and robbed, and that this act of profanation caused him much distress. The tomb was in the royal park at Pasargadae; a grove of various sorts of trees had been planted round it; there were streams of running water and a meadow with lush grass.

The base of the monument was rectangular, built of stone slabs cut square, and on top was a roofed chamber, also built of stone, with access through a door so narrow that only one man at a time - and a little one at that - could manage, with great difficulty, painfully to squeeze himself through. Inside the chamber there was a golden coffin containing Cyrus' body, and a great divan with feet of hammered gold, spread with covers of some thick, brightly colored material, with a Babylonian rug on top.

Tunics and a candys - or Median jacket - of Babylonian workmanship were laid out on the divan and Median trousers, various robes dyed in amethyst, purple, and many other colors, necklaces, scimitars, and inlaid earrings of gold and precious stones. A table stood by it, and in the middle of it lay the coffin which held Cyrus' body.

There was an inscription on the tomb in Persian, signifying:

O man, I am Cyrus son of Cambyses,
who founded the empire of Persia
and ruled over Asia.
Do not grudge me my monument.

Alexander had always intended, after his conquest of Persia, to visit the tomb of Cyrus and now, when he did so, he found that all it contained except the divan and the coffin had been removed. Even the royal remains had not escaped desecration for the thieves had taken the lid from the coffin and thrown out the body; from the coffin itself they had chipped or broken various bits in an attempt to reduce its weight sufficiently to enable them to get it away. However, they were unsuccessful and went off without it.

Aristobulus tells us that he himself received orders from Alexander to put the monument into a state of thorough repair: he was to restore to the coffin what was still preserved of the body and replace the lid; to put right all damage to the coffin itself, fit the divan with new strapping, and to replace with exact replicas of the originals every single object with which it had previously been adorned; and, finally, to do away with the door into the chamber by building it in with stone, covered by a coat of plaster, on which was to be set the royal seal. "

Edited by Atossa, 18 August 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#2 Atossa

Atossa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37407 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Source:

http://www.livius.or...-tomb-of-cyrus/

#3 shaktiman

shaktiman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9721 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

Ο Μεγας Αλεξανδρος

Aristobulus relates that Alexander found the tomb of Cyrus, son of Cambyses, broken into and robbed, and that this act of profanation caused him much distress.

I studied all of this in my youth and as a young man.

I read parts of Αναβασις, (Xenophon), meaning the elevation, rise, climb or uprising. There are of course other Cyruses but I know who you mean.

There are in truth many hidden teachings in all this, or maybe not so hidden but requiring Grace for understanding.

Regards.

#4 Atossa

Atossa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37407 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

Ο Μεγας Αλεξανδρος

I studied all of this in my youth and as a young man.

I read parts of Αναβασις, (Xenophon), meaning the elevation, rise, climb or uprising. There are of course other Cyruses but I know who you mean.

There are in truth many hidden teachings in all this, or maybe not so hidden but requiring Grace for understanding.

Regards.

The tomb Alexander restored was the tomb of Cyrus II, known as 'Cyrus the Great' who conquered Babylon. The same Cyrus who is referenced many times in OT history and called "God's anointed" in Isaiah 45. He was the father of Atossa who was the wife of Darius the Great and mother of Xerxes.

#5 shaktiman

shaktiman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9721 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

The same Cyrus who is referenced many times in OT history and called "God's anointed" in Isaiah 45. He was the father of Atossa who was the wife of Darius the Great and mother of Xerxes.

Yes, the Greek and Persian names may be identical but often refer to different persons in history.

Much going on in this history.

As for "God's anointed" that is the providence of God and only God's.

I caution the fakers though, that providence is based on Grace AND Merit.

Regards

Regards.

#6 Atossa

Atossa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37407 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:30 AM

shaktiman is rude to be trashing this nice topic.

#7 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Never knew about this. Interesting to read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Pravda.Ru