#23 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

Hansel,

Thank you for the Linux link, I didn't know Linux had that many OSs available.

I'm seeing a possible solution at Pravad's end that may help secure their site a bit more. This is one of the few things I have figured out about computers/internet.

Using a google search box, type in: http versus https. You'll find that the latter (https) secures the users browser from/with/to whatever website the computer is currently linked to. Pravda is currently using http which is not secured.

To any Admin.: may I suggest an up-grade to https?

Sincerely,

Vanka

#24 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Zharkov,

I'm currently using Windows 7 which is a temperamental OS that's memory hungry and will take every opportunity to run many processes in the background.

Hansel posted a link to the many Linux OSs but I don't see Wine on the list. There are other links to follow that may contain the Wine OS... I'll just have to browse them all until I find it.

Trust me, I truly need an OS that can figure things out all on its own. It is possible to install two separate OSs and select which OS you wish to use upon boot-up. I'm just not that advances with computers, the chances are greater that I'll CRASH my system... because that's usually what happens with me when I start playing with any programming.

#25 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32957 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

My advice, never add another OS onto an existing Windows system.   Windows eventually wipes out the boot sector, or the other operating system will wipe it out.   It may work for months and suddenly not work.  Weird stuff happens.

Wine is an application you add to Linux AFTER you install Linux.  

It's an optional accessory application that allows some Windows programs to work in Linux.  

Complicated Windows programs may not work on Wine but Netmeter is simple and works fine.

Linux Mint is the best of the various Linux OS's in my view.   I would download it, burn it to dvd, and then you can install it on a new hard drive, preferably a solid state drive.   SSD is faster and much more reliable.

If you try Mint, they have an optional application called "virtual box" that runs Windows operating systems inside of Linux.

It's quite good in most respects but does have some bugs here and there, so it is purely experimental as to whether it will do what you expect.

#26 ??!!??

??!!??

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5289 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

I use Ubuntu Mate and https://www.yandex.com/is my search engine

Linux software equivalent to Windows software: http://wiki.linuxque...indows_software

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"Intel CPU" is an other problem, each time you start your PC the Intel CPU sends his control s/n out with all your info

and you can not stop it

#27 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

Kharkov,

That bit about never adding another OS onto an existing Windows system is good to know. However, I had an IT manager who was able to do that, and I don't recall there being any problems. He was able to do so by creating a separate boot sector on the hard-drive and upon start-up he could select which OS he wanted to use. I'm nowhere near that advanced, so I'll take your advice and buy an external SSD from which I can force-boot the Linux OS without any Windows systems ever coming into play.

Chances are great that I'll corrupt my whole system and crash it, because that's what usually happens... so sad to say.

Right, so Wine is an add-on to a Linux OS... that explains a lot!

Linux systems require knowledge of 'kernels' and how to turn them 'on and off' as needed... and that's was one of the areas where I had trouble with Linux OS. If I remember correctly, the Linux system we used was called 'Fedora' and this was back in the early 2000's. I seem to recall another Linux OS called Top-hat that was used but I had settled on using Windows systems because they work best for dummies like me.

If I attempt to do this change-over, I may be off-line for an indeterminate amount of time, for reasons already cited. 

#28 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hansel,

Absolutely correct, intel sends MAC address information regardless of what OS one may use. Are AMD processors any different? I'm using an AMD at present.

Are these Windows equivalent Linux systems as easy to use as Windows systems? 'User friendly' means everything to me.

I'll have to explore all of these options and hope that I find one that suits me best.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions as variety, (as it applies to choices) is the spice of life. So many choices... too many perhaps?

#29 WATCHD0G

WATCHD0G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5033 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Hansel,

Thank you for the Linux link, I didn't know Linux had that many OSs available.

I'm seeing a possible solution at Pravad's end that may help secure their site a bit more. This is one of the few things I have figured out about computers/internet.

Using a google search box, type in: http versus https. You'll find that the latter (https) secures the users browser from/with/to whatever website the computer is currently linked to. Pravda is currently using http which is not secured.

To any Admin.: may I suggest an up-grade to https?

Sincerely,

Vanka

+1 to this. It would be prudent to secure this connection. It would no doubt help a lot against any possible unwanted intrusion, up to and including protecting user accounts.

Regarding Linux, Mint and Ubuntu are nice, easy options for those unfamiliar with Linux in general, and either system will serve you well for anything online. Your default browser will be Firefox, which is a good, solid browser, and one that is easy to secure via add-ons for blocking ads and enhancing privacy while browsing. It is also becoming faster and more efficient, where hopefully it will catch up to the competition.

To answer the question: Are these Windows equivalent Linux systems as easy to use as Windows systems? 'User friendly' means everything to me.

Yes, for the most part. Installation is comparable to older versions of Windows (7 and earlier) in terms of simplicity and hand-holdiness. Once installed, it is all very straight-forward. I recommend either the MATE or Cinnamon desktop (Mint uses Cinnamon by default) if you want a very Windows-like interface.

#30 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:35 AM

Hey, Hippy! I'll get you for that "hand-holdiness" comment. You just wait and see. :jab:

Just kidding, I like that kind of friendly banter, because it's unique and on the mark... plus I'm crazy like that myself... hand-holdiness, that's not only cool, it's funny.

Here's what I mean and I'll demonstrate it in one simple sentence...

I think I'll need a 'babysitter' when I attempt to make this OS change.  

Hardly unique, but you get my point.

#31 WATCHD0G

WATCHD0G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5033 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:00 AM

Hey, Hippy! I'll get you for that "hand-holdiness" comment. You just wait and see. :jab:

Just kidding, I like that kind of friendly banter, because it's unique and on the mark... plus I'm crazy like that myself... hand-holdiness, that's not only cool, it's funny.

Here's what I mean and I'll demonstrate it in one simple sentence...

I think I'll need a 'babysitter' when I attempt to make this OS change.  

Hardly unique, but you get my point.

It's common to speak of an easy-to-use OS like Windows holding the user's hand, i.e. being hand-holdy in nature. The downside for any advanced user is that it can make it more difficult to do advanced tasks or customize the system.

Ubuntu or Mint will "hold your hand" during and after installation so that you probably will not need a babysitter. The hardest part will probably be creating a boot medium and then getting booted from it. You are looking at either burning the image to a disc or 'restoring' it to a USB drive.

#32 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:24 AM

So, it's just computer jargon? Nevertheless, I still like the sound of it. I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, save for a few things here and there.

So, you don't get the credit for the crazy comment, is that what you're saying? My IT manager had a really good sense of humor... they don't call them geeks and eggheads for no reason at all. 

I like the hand holding part and not needing a babysitter is a plus. Which of the two OSs would you recommend for an AMD processor running at 1.1 Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM?

#33 WATCHD0G

WATCHD0G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5033 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:32 AM

So, it's just computer jargon? Nevertheless, I still like the sound of it. I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, save for a few things here and there.

So, you don't get the credit for the crazy comment, is that what you're saying? My IT manager had a really good sense of humor... they don't call them geeks and eggheads for no reason at all. 

I like the hand holding part and not needing a babysitter is a plus. Which of the two OSs would you recommend for an AMD processor running at 1.1 Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM?

You're fairly low-end already with that configuration, so you will want to keep it light. Maybe grab the MATE version of Mint.

The 32-bit version will be sufficient for you, even if your processor happens to be 64-bit. I don't know whether it is or not, but the 32-bit OS will work universally, whereas the 64-bit OS will not run on a 32-bit CPU.

You can get that here: https://www.linuxmin...tion.php?id=240

You will see a long list of download links. Save the ISO and get it burned to a blank DVD. You may need an egghead to assist.

#34 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:05 AM

It's a 64-bit processor and about six years old. The computer itself is a Compaq, Presario CQ57.

If I had the money to buy a new one, I would.

This whole OS change over scares me... if you only knew me and computers... just give me a glass of milk and watch what happens.

What do you mean "what's that white stuff all over the key-board?" It was that way when I bought it. ;)

#35 WATCHD0G

WATCHD0G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5033 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

It's a 64-bit processor and about six years old. The computer itself is a Compaq, Presario CQ57.

If I had the money to buy a new one, I would.

This whole OS change over scares me... if you only knew me and computers... just give me a glass of milk and watch what happens.

What do you mean "what's that white stuff all over the key-board?" It was that way when I bought it. ;)

Well then, you can go with the 64-bit version if you like. It should not affect your experience either way.

You can no doubt find guides online, written and even video, about how to install Linux Mint. It could be scary if you do not have any kind of backup system, though, and you may want to back up personal data before you begin. If you use Firefox now, you can transfer your bookmarks and everything - the entire "profile" - to your newly installed system. Instructions for that can be found here: https://support.mozi...irefox-profiles

#36 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hippy,

I do appreciate all of this and I thank you for your efforts. There's something else going on that's a separate issue regards my current computer situation... and I'll present it in the form of a theory for now. I say 'theory' because I have only basic information to support it--which stems from my personal experiences here in the states in relation to dealing with the system in general.

I made it known, in no uncertain terms, that I plan to humiliate the system lords with their own documentation and I plan to do so in an international forum, which is what Pravda is.

I'm betting that they aren't as concerned about being humiliated as much as they are about getting exposed as incompetent boobs, which is what these documents will expose. But as one reads these documents, there's more of a criminal aspect about them, which is what I feel they fear the most.

Some of the stuff found in these documents is as comical as it is disturbing, hence the humiliation, and the only perception one will find of incompetence is: gross criminal incompetence. They won't admit to the incompetence aspect thereof and so all that's left is the criminal aspect thereof.

I have an Ace up my sleeve...

We'll see how nasty they get in this war of words, because these are the kind of truths they truly want to go unspoken. You see, I'm not as dumb as I look and that is simply not my problem.

Still fighting the good fight.

#37 WATCHD0G

WATCHD0G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5033 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hippy,

I do appreciate all of this and I thank you for your efforts. There's something else going on that's a separate issue regards my current computer situation... and I'll present it in the form of a theory for now. I say 'theory' because I have only basic information to support it--which stems from my personal experiences here in the states in relation to dealing with the system in general.

I made it known, in no uncertain terms, that I plan to humiliate the system lords with their own documentation and I plan to do so in an international forum, which is what Pravda is.

I'm betting that they aren't as concerned about being humiliated as much as they are about getting exposed as incompetent boobs, which is what these documents will expose. But as one reads these documents, there's more of a criminal aspect about them, which is what I feel they fear the most.

Some of the stuff found in these documents is as comical as it is disturbing, hence the humiliation, and the only perception one will find of incompetence is: gross criminal incompetence. They won't admit to the incompetence aspect thereof and so all that's left is the criminal aspect thereof.

I have an Ace up my sleeve...

We'll see how nasty they get in this war of words, because these are the kind of truths they truly want to go unspoken. You see, I'm not as dumb as I look and that is simply not my problem.

Still fighting the good fight.

Pravda Leaks?

#38 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Pravda translates as 'truth' so it seems only natural to leak such here for the name's sake... in other words, yes, good call!

Regards the corporate nature of the states, I am most certainly a foreign national. The system here merely 'claims' to represent me, and every bit of such claims are born of FRAUD! I can prove that beyond all doubt, and in truth, such has already been proven... it just hasn't been made public as much as it NEEDS to be.

Research these terms: capitalization as it relates to legalese, I've given the definition of 'Glossa' and they've tried their damdest to hide the Organic Constitution which is what all of their chartered (corporate structured) constitutions are based upon. It's an act of treason to write laws that do not conform to the Organic Constitution... but as corporations they get around that through legal means by calling such "acts of legislation" and "statutes" where every bit of it is code cross-referenced and loaded with Glossa.

Fraud by way of deceit, human rights abuses and extreme breaches of the public's trust are just some of the charges leveled against them.

Edit: misspelled 'statutes' and changed violations to breaches and changed 'words' to 'legalese'... as it relates to legalese...

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 06 September 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#39 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32957 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

Kharkov,

That bit about never adding another OS onto an existing Windows system is good to know. However, I had an IT manager who was able to do that, and I don't recall there being any problems. He was able to do so by creating a separate boot sector on the hard-drive and upon start-up he could select which OS he wanted to use. I'm nowhere near that advanced, so I'll take your advice and buy an external SSD from which I can force-boot the Linux OS without any Windows systems ever coming into play.

Chances are great that I'll corrupt my whole system and crash it, because that's what usually happens... so sad to say.

Right, so Wine is an add-on to a Linux OS... that explains a lot!

Linux systems require knowledge of 'kernels' and how to turn them 'on and off' as needed... and that's was one of the areas where I had trouble with Linux OS. If I remember correctly, the Linux system we used was called 'Fedora' and this was back in the early 2000's. I seem to recall another Linux OS called Top-hat that was used but I had settled on using Windows systems because they work best for dummies like me.

If I attempt to do this change-over, I may be off-line for an indeterminate amount of time, for reasons already cited. 

I installed Linux OS on USB thumb drives, for easier swapping.   It works with or without a hard drive, and the trick I use is to disconnect the Windows hard drive, then install Linux by DVD onto the USB thumb drive to make sure the hard drive doesn't get overwritten.   Many Linux systems will boot from a USB drive - Mint, Zorin, Debian, etc.

That way, you get to keep your windows system on the hard drive, protected from any other OS trying to overwrite it.

You can dual boot it in bios by setting the boot drive to USB instead of hard drive if you leave the hard drive hooked up.   Some Linux will recognize automatically the windows system and set up a boot choice.   I just don't trust that setup very much.

I never liked Compaq computers because they do their own thing in various ways that sometimes complicate using a non-windows system, but I've loaded Mandrake Linux on one and it worked ok.   The newer ones should work with nearly any Linux version.  

As for the kernal mods, I never bother.   I use the one that comes with the system and try to avoid updating it to a higher version.  For example if you had kernal 4.4.1, you might go to 4.4.9 without a problem, but if you go to 4.10.1, you may find a lot of glitches and end up FSCK the entire disk to straighten it out and fix the errors, which gives you a 50-50 chance of screwing up the whole Linux installation.   Or it may work fine.   I prefer more stability and less gambling.

#40 Christo Alado too

Christo Alado too

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hi Kharkov,

Shouldn't I be able to download an OS directly to a thumb drive, bypassing the HD or must I burn it to a DVD and then to thumb drive? I have a 2GB thumb drive and if it works all the same, it would be easy enough for me to work with. Instructing me to disconnect an HD in a laptop is like asking water to not be wet... not so sure I can do it without making matters worse.

A little secret here... I have another computer that intimidates the heck out of me, to no end. It came with Windows 10 installed, 2.5 Ghz intel processor, 16 GB of RAM special this and that, and I use it solely for gaming... my favorite being Prime World Defenders, and interesting enough, it's a game made in Russia--which I didn't figure out until I was able to beat all the levels. Russian this, that and the other things have turned up in my life and so I've taken the hint, without question.

I use this Compaq exclusively for online stuff, because I couldn't careless if it gets a virus or whatever... but I need to get it to function without fail, at any website I may visit. There may be problems elsewhere because I'm able to whatever I normally do at other websites... you'll have to read my theory regards that in another reply in this thread.

I'm not giving up hope... I just need to build up the courage to do this.

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 06 September 2017 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Pravda.Ru