• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32734 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

You can probably do an online installation direct to USB if everything works as it should... but if anything happened to your windows hard drive, you can kiss it goodbye, because the initial process repartitions the drive, and if it picks the wrong drive to partition (or you do), windows will be gone.  

So I always burn the OS image onto a DVD for installation so I can disconnect the hard drive before installing the OS onto a USB drive. 

It takes longer, I hate to take the computer apart, but it saves a week of rebuilding an old windows system from scratch.

Linux Mint works better than windows for most things.   You will find the applications as good or better than for windows, and it is much simpler to update.   And if you have to reinstall it because an old hard drive failed, you don't need permission from Microsoft.   That alone is a fantastic reason to switch.   You never have to try to deal with Microsoft again. 

#42 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

If I can get a Linux OS to work, I couldn't careless if my Windows OS ends up in the trashcan. But as you have stated, Compaq has proprietary compatibility with Microsoft and many issues may arise should I install any other OS.

I wonder if I can take the leap, and reformat my HD... the BIOS will need to be overwritten... I get this stuff up to a point, then I find myself staring down a steep/high cliff... just one more step and... well you get the picture.

I'll try to download the Linux Mint Mate, as Hippy suggested for this particular computer, directly to a thumb drive and without doing much else, I'll see if I can boot the Linux OS and get it to run. My saving grace here may be that I have an AMD processor, which aren't as propriety as Intel.

#43 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32734 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Make sure the link for installation is for a direct online install, because most of the links are for dvd images that need to be burned first before installing.  

Do as you think best, but my advice is to keep your windows hard drive intact, disconnect it and install Linux on a different drive entirely, either SSD or USB thumb drive, so you don't trash your windows OS until you feel comfortable that Linux does all that you need it to do.   USB drives of 64GB or more should be enough capacity.   I use 128GB without problems.

I know the feeling of losing familiar programs to venture into the unknown of Linux, but Mint is very much like windows in most ways that matter although it is entirely different technically.   It was designed to be easy to use and it is.

It's just a bit different and takes getting acquainted with the features, something that will probably take a few days to a few weeks before you relax and not worry about not having a working OS.  

More advice, when you do get it installed, just use it for a few months without trying to tinker or improve it until after you become familiar with it.   I'm new to Linux myself but after using it a year or so, I find it doesn't really need any adjustments or optimization.   It just works.  

One more thing, if you decide to go the dvd route for installing, you will need a fast internet connection, like DSL (not dial-up) or faster to install the Linux OS because the installation program will seek updates over the internet and specific files to match your computer setup, so you need to have internet running while you begin installing.   Once installed, you can double check the update program to make sure you got them all.   Usually there are more files to update after installation.

A direct to USB install should take care of that automatically.

#44 Thoth

Thoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4777 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

If I can get a Linux OS to work, I couldn't careless if my Windows OS ends up in the trashcan. But as you have stated, Compaq has proprietary compatibility with Microsoft and many issues may arise should I install any other OS.

I wonder if I can take the leap, and reformat my HD... the BIOS will need to be overwritten... I get this stuff up to a point, then I find myself staring down a steep/high cliff... just one more step and... well you get the picture.

I'll try to download the Linux Mint Mate, as Hippy suggested for this particular computer, directly to a thumb drive and without doing much else, I'll see if I can boot the Linux OS and get it to run. My saving grace here may be that I have an AMD processor, which aren't as propriety as Intel.

I don't think you need to worry about compatibility. Your BIOS will not restrict you to running Windows and you won't need to alter it in any way. The processor being AMD rather than Intel won't change anything, either.

Edited by Thoth, 06 September 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#45 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

The file size for Mint is 1.6 GB!? I'm assuming that such includes all the goodies, you know, the bells and whistles and so, much of it won't come in to play unless I'm actually using it. It's a bit foggy in my mind as to what I'm to do with all my existing files and whatever I may need to store in the future.

I have too many programs I use that I can't live without and one of them is MS paint. I need a simple drawing program or I'll go bonkers if I can't illustrate an idea. I can live without the MS Word and much of the other do-dads, but MS paint, I'm not so sure I can live without it.

I'm going to have to think about this OS change over a bit more.

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 06 September 2017 - 10:32 PM.

#46 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Right, so if I boot from a thumb drive, that's where any new files will get stored, but what about existing files, like Word and Paint?

#47 Thoth

Thoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4777 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:37 PM

The file size for Mint is 1.6 GB!? I'm assuming that such includes all the goodies, you know, the bells and whistles and so, much of it won't come in to play unless I'm actually using it. It's a bit foggy in my mind as to what I'm to do with all my existing files and whatever I may need to store in the future.

I have too many programs I use that I can't live without and one of them is MS paint. I need a simple drawing program or I'll go bonkers if I can't illustrate an idea. I can live without the MS Word and much of the other do-dads, but MS paint, I'm not so sure I can live without it.

I'm going to have to think about this OS change over a bit more.

Word is easily replaced by LibreOffice Writer, which even features compatibility with Microsoft formats, and that will be installed by default. As far as drawing, you will have options. I know there are simple drawing apps available, every bit as free as the OS itself, via the software center / package manager. If you install Wine, you may even get MS Paint itself to work, but that would be a more complicated process.

But yes, you will have to think about how to back up any data you want to keep. Best to put that on a USB drive or some similar solution. You could even burn it to one or more CDs or DVDs.

#48 Thoth

Thoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4777 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Right, so if I boot from a thumb drive, that's where any new files will get stored, but what about existing files, like Word and Paint?

You will need to copy documents to a safe location, from where you can then copy them back to your hard drive once Linux is installed. Linux will read and write any Windows-compatible filesystem without issue. But the applications themselves, the executables that you run for Word and Paint, will be gone. That is OK, though, because Linux has equivalent applications that will do the same job, open up files from those MS apps, etc.

#49 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

I do realize just how tedious this whole mess is and I thank you for your patients. I have a tendency to over-think things and I'm a worry-wart because I have firsthand experience with my brain...

If I just back-up all of my existing files on a separate thumb drive I should be all right. If nothing else, I could always pretend that this computer crashed without warning and all was lost and in which case, I'd have to start all over from scratch, anyway.

Wow, I just thought of this: I can thumb drive all my files to my other computer where I'd have full access without any worry! Then I could easily transfer back whatever files I wish to the ol' Compaq. *pats self on back.*

I'm getting that much closer to giving it a go... I'll take my time though.

#50 ??!!??

??!!??

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5289 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Vanka Savolov

try linux live cd first before you install

http://livecdlist.com/

I use AMD a 6 core and Gigabyte  hypertransport  on a ssd and 16 gb of ram

I have no problems

#51 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:21 AM

Hello, Hansel,

Thanks for the information, I'm in the process of transferring files of various types to another computer.

Once I'm done with that, I'm going to tryout Linux operating systems until I find one that suits me best.

I'm unable to copy and paste anything to this site, but I had noticed that you had mentioned you are a diesel mechanic.

You might be interested in what semi trucks may evolve in to. You can google anyone of these terms to get a glimpse:

Nikola trucks, Nikola One, or Nikola Motor Company

I love all things electric... more on that later.

#52 Thoth

Thoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4777 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:09 AM

Don't worry about the live CD stuff. Modern Linux distributions actually offer live CDs that also feature an installer for getting the system onto your HD by default.

Hansel would know that if he were a real Linux user. He's obviously a total phony.

#53 ??!!??

??!!??

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5289 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:10 AM

Hello, Hansel,

Thanks for the information, I'm in the process of transferring files of various types to another computer.

Once I'm done with that, I'm going to tryout Linux operating systems until I find one that suits me best.

I'm unable to copy and paste anything to this site, but I had noticed that you had mentioned you are a diesel mechanic.

You might be interested in what semi trucks may evolve in to. You can google anyone of these terms to get a glimpse:

Nikola trucks, Nikola One, or Nikola Motor Company

I love all things electric... more on that later.

I don't think so that hydro hydrogen will be the future there are to many moving parts involved.

at the War II there have bin submarines on hydro hydrogen

Edited by Hansel, 07 September 2017 - 01:11 AM.

#54 ??!!??

??!!??

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5289 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:17 AM

Don't worry about the live CD stuff. Modern Linux distributions actually offer live CDs that also feature an installer for getting the system onto your HD by default.

Hansel would know that if he were a real Linux user. He's obviously a total phony.

I will tel you ons and for all you are schizophrenic you have no clue what you talking about 

you make your self only important to look for recognition 

I hope it will fill you head

#55 Thoth

Thoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4777 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:28 AM

I will tel you ons and for all you are schizophrenic you have no clue what you talking about 

you make your self only important to look for recognition 

I hope it will fill you head

Leck mich.

#56 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:41 AM

Yay me!

I have that first step out of the way as all my files, paint/word/notepad have all been SUCCESSFULLY transferred to a thumb-drive. I don't know how to do bulk transfers so I had to do it one file at a time... as if anyone wanted to hear that.

This thought occurred to me: what if I go through this OS change and still have the same problems at this site? I guess there's only one way to find out.

#57 ??!!??

??!!??

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5289 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:32 AM

Yay me!

I have that first step out of the way as all my files, paint/word/notepad have all been SUCCESSFULLY transferred to a thumb-drive. I don't know how to do bulk transfers so I had to do it one file at a time... as if anyone wanted to hear that.

This thought occurred to me: what if I go through this OS change and still have the same problems at this site? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Edited by Hansel, 09 September 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#58 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

My most favorite person in the whole world is a drunken hippy Jew.

#59 ??!!??

??!!??

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5289 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

[attachment=22963:Maria Zakharova.jpg]

Edited by Hansel, 10 September 2017 - 01:05 AM.

#60 Thoth

Thoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4777 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

it will be you server and use filtering software

or you server use microsoft  (old fashen)

modern servers use linux only

Du hast überhaupt keine Idee, wovon du sprichst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Pravda.Ru