Theme© by Fisana

Hey Beast

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CaptainAmerica_*

Guest_CaptainAmerica_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:40 PM

Regarding your claim about Christianity not having borrowed their myths and legends from other religions, pegans, etc., I took the liberty of finding an article to help enlighten you.

You'll never hear this trade secret given to you from any pulpit. This is one document of many. All you have to do is look. There is plenty knowlege floating around out there.
Whether referred to as Mithra, Mitra, Meitros, Mihr, Mehr, or Meher, mankind's oldest living god, Mithras, was the object of much confusion during the Roman empire.

Mithrasim was in effect for over three hundred years. It originated in Persia then became embedded in Babylonian doctrines. From there, it spread not only to Rome, but from Scotland to the Sahara Desert, and from Spain to the Black Sea. Workshops were even found in places such as Britain, Italy, Romania, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey, Persia, Armenia, Syria, Israel and North Africa. Mithraism was everywhere. Rudyard Kipling demonstrates his interpretation of Mithraism in his poem "A Song to Mithras"

Like Christianity, followers of Mithras believed in a superior being that was a symbol of truth, justice and loyalty. They strove for self control during times of temptation, were members of the Holy Trinity and believed in a heaven and a hell. Their god was born of a virgin who was referred to as the "Mother of God", and the birth of their God coincidentally was celebrated on December 25. Many other customs and beliefs were similar to Christianity. For instance, Mithras had the final say as to who went to heaven and who went to hell. Life after death was assumed for all of those who led the appropriate life styles and were baptized. Followers respected Sundays as holy days and ate bread and drank wine as symbols of Mithras' body and blood.

So Mithraism was similar to Christianity. Why was it not just called Christianity then? The first congregation of Mitharers was held in 67 BC, under General Pompey. It wasn't until Commodus, the Roman emperor from 180-192 AD, came into reign that the religion began to soar. Through the years, Roman authority was legitimized by divine right, as opposed to a vote by the Senate. It was here that people became more intense about their religion.

#2 visitoronline

visitoronline

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:02 PM

Hey Captain,
Maybe it's a confirmation just for you! Sometimes we have to be told twice!!! Could this possibly be applicable to you? Repent or Perish!:confused:

#3 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:07 PM

As I understand it, Mithraism was particularly popular with members of the Roman military. It would certainly make sense for persecuted Christians to exploit this fact to keep themselves from getting fed to the lions.....

Also, and I don't have the exact date, wasn't it the Bishop of Rome (I forget his name) that "created" Christmas in or about 326 AD, to try and stop the evergreen hanging, log burning, feasting, candle-lighting celebrations that occured around December 25 each year? They were Pagan celebrations combining the birth of Mithras, other holidays of Celtic origin and the Roman Pagan Feast of Saturnalia, etc. (Of course, instead of replacing it, the people kept bringing trees into their houses and lighting candles, just making up new Christian justifications for doing the same old thing....)

But I wouldn't expect beast to reply, really. People like that have a chronic allergy to reality.

#4 Guest_CaptainAmerica_*

Guest_CaptainAmerica_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:35 PM

What's that s'posed to mean visitoronline? It must of went over my head.

Did anybody catch that?

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2003 - 10:34 PM

Believe your lies Cartain, you gonna wake up soon.

#6 Guest_CaptainAmerica_*

Guest_CaptainAmerica_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:57 PM

Those aren't my lies bro. If they are lies they are somebody elses. I am only the messenger. The mithra religion is an old religion that is known by theologians everywhere. I merely brought the topic up to point just one of the many places that christianity acquired some of their myths from. It's no big deal. I am sure that Mithra is as full of shit as any of them. Take your pick.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:03 AM

Mitra is myth.

You confuse myth with reality, therefore you are incapable of distinguishing truth from fiction.

Point to case is you parrot things you know nothing about. Why don't you paste here exactly the passages you're referring to? Because you will find yourself pasting nonsense and idiocies, that's why.

#8 Guest_CaptainAmerica_*

Guest_CaptainAmerica_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:24 AM

I was just pointing out that approxamately 1200 years before the supposed birth of Christ, a religion called "Mithra" existed that had a god that was born of a virgin, in a manger, celebrated on 12/25, preached a trinity, had a heaven and hell, etc. Hello? Does any of this sound familiar? Coincidence?

Man, I ain't doggin' you. I don't know about god, buddah, allah, santa or peter pan. Hell, they may have all existed for all I know. I would think something like this would interest you.

Hey, in the world of make believe, magic, spirits and cosmic deminsions, you could be 100% right, I concede.

Unfortunantly, from a theistic point of view, a religious/faithful person would immediately recognize my shortcoming of having to walk my walk in a real world, surrounded by logic and guided by the dictates of reason. Truly, in the Land of Oz, I would have quite a "cross to bear." (Sorry, I couldn't resist something punny)

Perhaps, someday, if I become "blessed" or have an experience like Saul...er...Paul, go totally blind, only to see that day is night, up is down, awake is asleep, blinded yet now he sees, and everything I know to be true was false, then maybe I too, will join you in your world of Nirvana, where opression is freedom, unacceptance and intolerance is order of the day. ignorance is wisdom and death is life.

Until, then however, I'm stuck here. In the conscience world. A place where, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a zebra.......oh wait....I think I just had my first religious experience!!!

No... it was just gas.

Later dude. Hare Krishna or whatever.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:06 AM

Why not quote the exact scripture of the mitra you're getting this from please... so we can all compare the stories?

#10 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:46 AM

Originally posted by beast
Why not quote the exact scripture of the mitra you're getting this from please... so we can all compare the stories?

Mithraism doesn't have scriptures, dingus. Maybe you should take some classical mythology and history classes too.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:47 AM

So you just said it , it's a myth.

Myth have nothing to do with witnessed facts.

#12 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:52 AM

And I suppose you witnessed all the events in the Bible, eh?

Thousands upon thousands of Romans (not to mention Persians, who originated Mithraism) witnessed the pre-Christianity worhip of Mithras, and quite a few recorded their observations of it. The similarities between Mithras and the subsequent development of Christianity are well-documented historical facts.

As is the Pagan basis for most other Christian holidays.

You still haven't explained why Easter is scheduled according to the phases of the Moon, if it is such a Christian holiday. Sounds pagan to me!

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:56 AM

You're a sleaze bag, and you will witness some of them yourself. But I did witness some of it yes. However, for those who read, the life and time of Jesus were witnessed by the apostles who wrote and testified to what they saw, including the resurrection.

I don't need a videotaped testimony to understand and make a judgement about the truthfulness of the apostles. And if I have to compare the truthfulness of the apostles against your truthfulness, you come short of the mark by a long mile.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2003 - 03:59 AM

I'm still waiting for your mountain of evidence... but you don't have to produce a mountain, which you can't, because you don't even have a fragment of evidence to produce... zip.!

#15 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:09 AM

You're a sleaze bag, and you will witness some of them yourself. But I did witness some of it yes. However, for those who read, the life and time of Jesus were witnessed by the apostles who wrote and testified to what they saw, including the resurrection.

I don't need a videotaped testimony to understand and make a judgement about the truthfulness of the apostles. And if I have to compare the truthfulness of the apostles against your truthfulness, you come short of the mark by a long mile.

No, you didn't, unless you are 2000 years old.

The Bible is hearsay, and just as much mythology as stories about Zeus, Odin or Mithras. BTW, you can't make a judgment about the truthfulness of anything unless and until you have explored the alternatives.

The proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand....have you read the accounts of the Roman historians? Spent even 5 minutes doing a Google search for the evidence and history that has been pointed out to you numerous times this evening? I three different versions of the Bible within arms reach of my keyboard - which one is right?

Ever consider the possibility that Ezekiel really didn't see wheels of divine fire in the sky, but instead ate some mushrooms and hallucinated? Or that Jesus was standing on a freaking sandbar and played a trick on the disciples to prove a point? Ever wonder where Jesus was between childhood and age 30? Helping out Joseph with his carpentry, or did he travel to the East and bring back some useful philosophy?

Loaves and fishes? Bah. Embarassed a bunch of selfish people into sharing their food is a far more likely explanation. Over time, and for political reasons, this very nice and wise Jewish Rabbi - Jesus of Nazareth, had his very valuable and revolutionary ideas turned into religion by opportunists. Over the centuries it has blossomed into a bazillion-dollar business, with an endless supply of suckers like you that swallow the whole story faster than the whale swallowed Jonah.

The fact is, beast, that you are afraid to look up any of the stuff you have heard about tonight, or to directly reply to any of the questions you have been asked.

#16 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:10 AM

I'm still waiting for your mountain of evidence... but you don't have to produce a mountain, which you can't, because you don't even have a fragment of evidence to produce... zip.!

Look it up yourself. It's there if you have the guts to seek it, which you obviously do not.

#17 Iranian

Iranian

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru