• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KoWT

KoWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8238 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:54 AM

"Everything is Under Control" By Robert Anton Wilson.
It's a relatively fluffy jaunt through the world of "Conspiracies, cults, and coverups".

To me, it reads kinda like I imagine an old college yearbook would to a retired alumni.

Anyhow, here's an excerpt I found interesting:

Food of the Gods

Food of the Gods, by Terrance McKenna, argues that, since every know society allows or even encourages some drugs and violently prohibts others, the drug choices of a culture tells us very significant facts about the worldview or reality-tunnel of that culture. Specifically, McKenna thinks the drugs considered okay-to-good in our society (sugar, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, tranquilizers) help tailor us all to what he calls the Dominator style of patriarchy. That is, maintain the competitive, mildly sociopathic personal ego necessary to survive in such a society and to perpetuate the values of that domination/submission system; the booze and tranks allow us the occasional numbing and escape without which we would all probably crack up or crumble under the stress.

Similarly, McKenna argues, the drugs subject to violent taboo in our society are incompatible with Dominator values and open us to shamanic, communal, and merging (mystic) experiences - e.g., marijuana and psychedelics. Cultures based on drugs of that sort, he tries to show, are mellower, kinder, and funnier than ours, and all tend to consider us a bit crazy.

This model, worked out with enormous erudition for 300 pages of closely reasoned text, may not be the whole truth or the only truth, but it has a lot of persuasiveness. For instance, it explains the oddity noted by Judge Robert Sweet: The government continually uses the very real dangers of crack cocaine in its propoganda, to keep us alarmed and enthusiastic about its drug wars, but it actually spends 85 percent of its anti-drug budget fighting the relatively harmless and often medicinal marijuana. If crack is so awful (and it is), why spend almost the entire budget fighting another drug? McKenna's thesis sugests that cocaine, in any form, is compatible with the ego trips of our society; but pot makes them seem silly.

#2 SmallMind

SmallMind

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:28 AM

you can read?

:)

#3 bellisaurius

bellisaurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 04:25 PM

I would argue that any society is by definition arbitrary, capricious, and uptight about some things, and not others.

#4 Source

Source

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9046 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 04:39 PM

"Cultures based on drugs of that sort, he tries to show, are mellower, kinder, and funnier than ours, and all tend to consider us a bit crazy."

absolutely. we're a bunch of over-white, knock-kneed, bri-nylon wearing stiffs who blanche at the prospect of a street party.

god, it's fun being a honkey.

#5 puzzledude

puzzledude

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:02 PM

Interesting,
It does make sense that all gov's would prefer their people using drugs that produce so called desirable behaviour.
Disencouraging drugs that dont fit the picture.

I didnt know such a high proportion of drug fighting money was fighting weed.

Must be real bad stuff huh,
I hear it turns people into violent axe weilding homicidal maniacs. heh:rolleyes:

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:53 PM

This is from my own observation as a worker in the health field.

Why is it that one needs a doctor's appointment and prescription for common drugs like synthroid and claritan, yet one can go online and, after a simple questionnaire, order up to a three month supply of the most powerful anti-depressants available: zoloft, paxil, celexa, prozac, etc? Speed-like diet pills are also available on the same web sites.

Perhaps the Federal Food & Drug Administration directed by higher federal authorities, allows easy access to these powerful drugs to ensure the population is a zoned-out & chemically happy army of consumers, with enough energy to work as wage slaves, but not enough anxiety over current events to become politically active.

#7 Guest_CaptainAmerica_*

Guest_CaptainAmerica_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:10 PM

Cool.... gotta link?

#8 Oracle

Oracle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:56 PM

Yes King,

We are permitted some of the most addictive and destructive drugs imaginable: nicotine and alcohol;
Responsible for more deaths and misery than all other drugs put together. Follow the money. ;)

And the government fights marajuana with singular prejudice. A drug that so far as I know has never caused the death of anyone anywhere.

I think you bring up a very good point in that 'pot' has a mellowing effect and there is a fear that widespread use will result in diminished productivity among the slave class. Also it has been suspected of engendering a altered consciousness, ( I believe it numbs the right hemisphere of the brain) that is not consistant with obedience.

But as I see it, the main objection to pot is its potential as competition with the big time drug dealers: the pharmaceutical corporations, the tobaco growers and the alcohol industry. All have tons of money and see marajuana as a threat. So they bring in the enforcement arm of their drug dealing operation, the Federal Government, (among whom is the CIA, who has recently began the Afganistan heroin production in earnest) to smash the competition.

Plus other reasons.

But I hope all young people stay away from all drugs. They can be VERY bad when abused and cause terrible consequences.

Oracle- high on life. :cool:

#9 Source

Source

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9046 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:11 PM

"And the government fights marajuana with singular prejudice. A drug that so far as I know has never caused the death of anyone anywhere."

not true! there was a guy crushed by a bale of it as he was unloading a shipment.

;)

#10 xexon

xexon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5013 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:17 PM

Some people NEED drugs. We all know the type that do. They were just born without all parts of the puzzle.

Once drug use infiltrates the mainstream of any culture, it changes the way business is carried out. I would have a hard time seeing Jamaican Rasta's trying to take over the world.

By contrast, any culture where alcohol is the subtance of choice, you see alot more violence and abuse.

Drugs are somewhat like guns. Guns are not bad or good in and of themselves. Its how you use them. Abuse and use is in the eye of the beholder.

x

#11 KoWT

KoWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8238 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:34 PM

How many people suffer from the stress associated with "modern life" and, rather than address the source of the stress, they get an Rx for happy pills and stay on the hamster wheel from hell that made them unhappy in the first place.

Small wonder our glorious leaders seem to be getting more and more detatched from reality, eh?

#12 KoWT

KoWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8238 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:40 PM

I did a search for the word "honkey"
:P

#13 TDPushkin

TDPushkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11383 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:49 PM

Guns are not bad or good in and of themselves. Its how you use them. Abuse and use is in the eye of the beholder.

you don't use them for farming, fishing, waterwell digging, shelter building or cooking for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru