7545 replies to this topic

#521 Buttersideup

Buttersideup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10450 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:23 PM

Gil Hughes

I wouldn't use AOL if they paid me. Look this also isn't a damn newspaper. Some cutting and pasting is great but a forum is about your opinion. It realy wasn't meant to offend you.

#522 Buttersideup

Buttersideup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10450 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:23 PM

Gil Hughes

I wouldn't use AOL if they paid me. Look this also isn't a damn newspaper. Some cutting and pasting is great but a forum is about your opinion. It realy wasn't meant to offend you.

#523 Buttersideup

Buttersideup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10450 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:22 PM

Elizabeth531

There are closet monarchists everywhere. Problem is this, if the king is a "good" king it works wonderfully. If the king is a "bad" king then the only recourse is to forcefully remove him from power. The latter results(usually) in a lot of bloodshed. Putin does seem to be the right man for the job. He is also the first Russian leader in many years to be praised on the international level. Even Bush has praised his integrety and competence.

#524 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:56 PM

<People are the best resourse of any nation and health and education are among the basic investment.>

Aloha Bader
For sure. I think the trinkets given to the indians in exchange for their riches had the same function.

<Neglecting ones own people and importing the advantaged from another country is a form of treason. >

Exactly, and then the newcomeres claim that the natives don't want to work.

Something I suspect too is that the poverty in other jungles is promoted so their little people is forced to come to the rich jungle, where the lion waits for them...

<I will never accept the free-market notion of someone grazzing their stock on my paddocks leaving the dung for me to bag and sell on the side of the road as fertizer as my share of foreign
investment. That's also treason in my view.>

Good symbolism.

<By the way Donq that Beat does pretty well for a guy without a cell phone, don't ya rekkon?>

Perhaps he would killing time on the phone instead of having enlightening conversations with us...:)

<Just received a web site called bank watch which takes interest
in international banks and the environmental and social damage
or threats regarding the same, predominantly in Eastern Europe
and Ex-Soviet Union countries:
active.bankwatch.org is for subscribing (no cost I think) and the
alternative is bankwatch without the word "active" in front of it.>

Good idea!

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

#525 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:02 PM

<I wouldn't use AOL if they paid me. Look this also isn't a damn newspaper. Some cutting and pasting is great but a forum is about your opinion. It realy wasn't meant to offend you.>

Sorry, we ain't trying to prove here who's right or wrong. This thread is kind of didactic so we all learning from many of the participants here. I would actually encourage anyone to post any article that may shed more light on the subject for and against it.

The few articles I publish full lenght is because they usually come from not accesible websites, otherwise I just publish an introduction and then the link...

Thanks

#526 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:32 PM

< I want the return of the days of the Kings and Queens. Jesus is a King, and thats the truth. So I think that must be the way to go. There is another board that I go to, these people love Putin,and some even envision him a KIng, as I do. >

Hi Elizabeth

(I saw Butterside responded quite well to you about the risk of trusting a king)

Anyways for a primer in politics for uninitiated I'd recommend "Animal Farm," by George Orwell, a good book for those trusting too much...

You may also consider the following story:

HOW THE LION BENEFITS FROM THE LITTLE ANIMALS' POVERTY

One day all the little animals went up to the King of the Jungle and complained about their poverty, and in particular about the fact that every time, during the dry season, they had to travel long distances to drink the precious fluid, and demanded a water well be built for them... They cited how the resources that they contributed to the kingdom were wasted in wars and fancy projects to the tastes of the King... He, however, replied with all kinds of excuses: the lack of resources, that it wasn't a matter of him not wanting it, but that it was a matter of priorities --which was one of his favorite words...

Meanwhile, an Owl --who had very good eyes-- had been observing life in the jungle, and thought this way: "Every time there's a dry season the little animals must come to the little dirty waterhole where the Lion waits for them... Had they been well fed and strong, he would have had to run after them and even risk resistance..."

And that's how the Owl landed an important --and well paid-- post in the brand new Astronomy Department created by the King of the Jungle... to the effect of exploring life in other planets...

#527 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:34 PM

<Even Bush has praised his integrety and competence. >

Is it a compliment though? :confused:

#528 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:38 PM

<Ya, I am a nut. But he moves me. The last guy I felt this for was Johnny Depp, and I still love him,too.What do you think? I know they got a fan club of teens in Russia,but I am talking about us women showing our devotion and love. Just being light hearted today. Thanks for endulging me.>

Is that a crush?;)

#529 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:13 PM

<It's good that we can come together and discuss these things,>

It sure is.

<Who will be willing to lay down his life for his brother. Not for money or oil or power, but for the good of us all.>

I don't think a good Lion King will deliver us because the minute he shows up, he'll be a dead lion...:confused:

It'll come though, more likely because the little people will say, "enough!"

#530 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:43 PM

<Hello- I like your website,cause even though I am not a kid, by the grace of God I still feel like one.>

Thanks. It's so important to have that attitude. It changed my life...

<I like your stories,it goes to show that if you keep it simple,the truth can be found. All of nature talks to us in so many ways. I think more adults should go back to the stories that our parents told us to explain things, we might just get it. You sound like a good and loving Father. Thanks again for sharing. >

Thank you again. Many times we see things and fail to think much about it...

Here's an analysis of The Lion King:

'The Lion King, in analysis, is more than a fable. I will argue that The Lion King should "rightfully" (a term often appears in the script as we will discuss later) be an adult's film. Hinson (1994) said, "Of the 32 animated films Disney has produced, this story of a young African lion's search for identity is not only more mature in its themes, it is also the darkest and the most intense. Shakespearean in tone, epic in scope, it seems more appropriate for grown-ups than for kids." Ebert (1994) also expressed that the superbly drawn animated feature was surprisingly solemn in its subject matter and was too intense for small children. And actually the violence depicted and the death illustrated are always commented as too much for the children.

The animation is not a mere light entertainment either. It is not just one that depicts the lovely cub's life cycle, nor is it true in describing the real life of the animals. As Neufeld (1996) said, the characters in The Lion King exhibit behaviours that are uncharacteristic of animals they portray. First, the mix of the animal kingdom is just a dream. Who will think of all the antelopes, elephants, leopards, lions, etc living peacefully together? And the caring relationship between the mother lions and the cubs, and between the lions and lionesses cannot really be seen in real life, where the non-father males will kill other male's offspring and cubs are always abundant and dying of starvation. The relationship, and hence the struggle, depicted is more human in nature.

Apart from the moral lessons said to be inculcated in children, as many other animations do, a number of themes emphasised by different critics abound in The Lion King (e.g. social interactions, familial relations, bravery, responsibility, vulnerability, faith etc. See Schwalm, 1995; and The Lion King -- Production Information, 1994). This paper will, however, probe into the theme of "hegemony," both in the senses of power and male dominance...'

#531 rapture

rapture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:55 PM

[QUOTE]I want to see the world recognize Putin.

A zeal for the progression of Deep Space exploration, likewise, living the dreams and fantasies of many- a little astronomer in all humans.

It is time humans move beyond the frontiers, recognize, and understand that Earth is one little tiny dot in a infinite and immaculate universe

#532 The Beat

The Beat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15667 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 11:33 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for putting up with a cell phoneless person.

I hate to put a damper on this Putin Love fest over the past few pages, but both sides need to be aired, in my opinion.

Putin is a great guy, an ex-KGB chief who is all as good as our ex-President, ex-CIA chief, GW senior.

BUT,

Don't forget Chechnya. I'm sure the Chetchens haven't forgotten. It's a thorn in Putin's side that is big news in Europe, even though it is little played here in the US. Now, before the landslide of protests diluge me, let me say that I DON'T have a solution for Chechnya. I don't know what would be best for its people, but the current situation cannot be tolerated.

There's also the question of environmental clean up that he will need to address, and the sooner the better. One unfortunate side effect of the former Communist regime in the Soviet Union was the nearly total disregard for the environment. The Eastern bloc and former Soviet Union left a horrible legacy behind. He must start cleaning up ASAP.

Crime is also on the rise and not only in the "terrorist" sector of it. Car theft and petty crimes are way up.

These are but a few of the issues confronting Mr. Putin. He has many challenges before him. Let's hope he can stay the course he is on and win the day for his people and for the world.

BTW, Elizabeth,

Don't worry about newness. I've only been here since May, and most people here aren't much "older." On my third day going through the threads here I was attacked by Terminator, a poster or former poster, or reformed poster, or formatted poster, I don't know. There is a way to follow someone's post the minute they post something, and he used it on me.

Imagine my surprise that, whenever I posted, there was Terminator posting taunts at me within 10 seconds. EVERY TIME. It was late and I was tired, and quite frankly spooked. He started posting right behind me in Russian. Then a friend of his was following his lead and doing the same right after him.

Sounds funny now, but at the time I freaked, I think they had to remove my last post that evening for vulgarity and who knows what else.

And your knowledge is JUST AS IMPORTANT as any other poster's here. Don't forget, it was a carpenter who showed us the path to Heaven! And he probably didn't even belong to a union!!!

#533 Bader

Bader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:20 AM

Some good points there, T Beat.
I agree with Eliz, there is something about Putin that fascinates
to use a word that comes readily to mind but may not be quite
the right word and I say this inspite of his very little exposure which then is all the more interesting.
If his past has made him the creature Bush senior,
who ran CIA became, then one wouldn't hold their breath. But then things don't always play out like they might have. Saul of
Tarsus, a man in a hurry I suspect to be elected into the Sanhedren, become a changed man on his way to persecute the
first christians and ended up turning the world upside down for the one he was fighting. Likewise Moses, who was being groomed to become Pharoah, turned that empire upside down and drowned the Egyptian army. But I don't count chickens before they hatch, I do hope he is one out of the bag, if he is he might need armour plating stitched into the back of his suit jacket.

Don't worry about formal education Eliz, instinct/intuition/gut feelings cannot be put in a test tube and universities are becoming so politically correct they are going to be a hinderance to getting this messy planet back on a sane and healthy
equalibrium. Just think of all the unlearning you don't have to put up with to finally see through the smoke, past the mirrors and
become deaf to the repetition of the parots who just repeat what
the media have been allowed to say.
I recommend your own research and be responsible for what you
learn and retain. If you love the truth nothing can withhold it,
if you are not lazy or easily satisfied- not even the LION.
Just remember that the male thinking process is different not superior, designed to balance out each other, that why we were made male and female by design not be evolution. (stir, stir)

#534 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:41 AM

OK, guys, lets keep analyzing life in the jungle...

(same source, link at bottom)

My comments are indicated by "DQ"...

Ecology
[The Sunrise/Pouncing Scene]

Mufasa: Everything you see exists together, in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance, and respect all the creatures -- from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.
Simba: But, dad, don't we eat antelope?

Mufasa: Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass. And the antelopes eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

Environmentalists may find this dialogue between Mufasa and Simba encouraging. We need to understand the balance (of the ecological system) and respect all the creatures. It seems that everything is equal in the end and there should hence be no query on the legitimacy of the lions eating the antelopes, the strong suppressing the week. It is just the circle of life. This line of thought actually legitimises the differences found in society, quieting those being suppressed.

DQ: I, being a little animal, don't buy that. If he needs to eat, we need to have a life. We need to have our own water well and f*** him.

"Take Your Place" Motif
In the animation, "take your place" motif appears quite often: Mufasa appears in the sky and tells Simba that he must take his place in the Circle of Life, and Nala urges Simba to take his place as King. And when Simba is a child, he once steps onto his father's palmprint and it comes to him that he has some rather big shoes to fill, i.e. he suddenly realises his true position.

This "take your place" motif not only, actually, applies to Simba as a king. By extension, every one of us should take one's place in society. No complaints. Every one of us have his own role, whether it be big or small. And it is our responsibility to fulfill it. As Nala, Simba's friend and finally wife, tells Simba, "because it's your responsibility (emphasised)

#535 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:04 AM

"A zeal for the progression of Deep Space exploration, likewise, living the dreams and fantasies of many- a little astronomer in all humans."

Thank you again, Rapture, for those deep thoughts... :)

"It is time humans move beyond the frontiers, recognize, and understand that Earth is one little tiny dot in a infinite and immaculate universe"

Wow, this one was real deep. ;)

#536 Gil Hughes

Gil Hughes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:03 AM

I think this is a great idea.

Good Luck

Plan floated for offshore power plant

Associated Press in Moscow
Thursday July 24, 2003
The Guardian

Russia hopes to win a Chinese loan to build a floating nuclear plant and the two countries could cooperate on similar projects in the future, officials said yesterday.

The state-run Rosenergoatom company, which operates Russian nuclear power stations, said it would cost about $145m (?90m) to build the floating plant. China had offered a loan to finance between 50% and 100% of this, a spokesman said.

The station would be capable of producing electricity and heat, and desalinating water.

A statement on Rosenergoatom's website says the floating plant would be built at a shipyard in the city of Severodvinsk in northern Russia. This and any future plants would be owned and operated by Rosenergoatom.

Floating nuclear power stations could claim a large share of the fast-growing global desalination market, according to the website. Their mobility allows them to provide fresh water and electricity to coastal areas in Asia and Africa.

China is waiting until Russia has built and operated the first floating plant before it commits to further cooperation. In the future, China could build barges for the plants at its shipyards.

Russian and Chinese officials met yesterday to discuss details of the deal, the Rosenergoatom spokesman said.

Russia is interested in using floating plants to supply electricity to its remote northern and eastern regions, where severe weather makes construction on land difficult and expensive. But despite frequent announcements that the project has been given the go-ahead, construction has not yet begun.

Environmentalists fear the plans are too risky, and have questioned whether Russia will be able to protect the facility from terrorists. Critics say they are concerned about whether the country can safely build and manage the planned nuclear plants. The Soviet Union was the site of the world's worst nuclear disaster, in 1986, at Chernobyl in Ukraine.

#537 MarquisDeSade

MarquisDeSade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:04 AM

Hi DonQ and all, our natural cycle is created that every animal,plant, ecosystems has a part to play. they are all inter-related. the role is of the lion of such significant, but dont forget, and there are still tigers,leopard,hyenas,foxes,panther and other carnivorous. would it be a balanced system?

im bringing a past issue back- education.

this is one of my suggestion to make the lion redundant.

educating the people, everyone, properly is the foremost importance as in teach them in subjects like how to make good use of our natural resources, moral education, and the most importance, lesser the importance of money or even better make it redudant.

i dont agree in leading a revolution. its always easier to use violence to solve a problem than peace. it will never stop. this is a bad example. and, dont you agree that ,up till now, people arent learning from history?

cheers

#538 Buttersideup

Buttersideup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10450 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:36 AM

Huh?

So the proposition is a nuclear plant, floating in water. This plant will be used to power a desalination plant. Does anyone think that just maybe having nuclear material and drinking water in the same place is a tad risky? Frigging insane

#539 Buttersideup

Buttersideup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10450 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:37 AM

Not to mention its potential to damage the sea or ocean it floats upon.

#540 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:19 PM

<im bringing a past issue back- education.>

Howdy Marquis
Great issue. Education can't be overstimated.

<this is one of my suggestion to make the lion redundant. >

I like the word "redundant". The lion wants to be envied and feared and we simply ignore him...

<educating the people, everyone, properly is the foremost importance as in teach them in subjects like how to make good use of our natural resources, moral education, and the most importance, lesser the importance of money or even better make it redudant.>

One way toward that end is to make television and radio an instrument of culture not manipulation, such as it is now. No matter how much you educate if you have a commercial media brainwashing you with mediocrity. Would anyone disagree with having an independent media like the BBC--only better--being an instrument of culture and true democracy?

<i dont agree in leading a revolution.>

A nonviolent campaign remains the best option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru