• Please log in to reply
7545 replies to this topic

#81 SeaBee

SeaBee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:28 AM

What would it take for russia to be #1??????

That's easy!

Brains, Balls and a Work Ethic!

But chances are that is never going to happen because they are more interested in pissing, moaning and crying!

Too many gangsters over there calling the shots for the country to have things better!

#82 machlud haul

machlud haul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:54 AM

But have we not been aware of better alternatives in the form religions, philosophies or ideologies already for thousands of years? But whatever high purpose has always been corrupted in its practical application, whenever there has been power and organization they have been misused. Capitalism has been proven to be very dynamic and flexible system as it seems to count on just that state of affairs. It believes that people act selfishly - and as they mostly do, capitalism works its destructive magic. There have been religious movements, whole ideologies which have tried to reject this fact of human nature, only ending up in far worse tyrannies and misuses of power than western capitalism. So, I do agree, capitalism truly is disgusting, primitive and unethical, but I also think that the humankind has so far been utterly unable to be rational and enlightened as a collective. So, to plan better systems on paper is not difficult at all (archives are already full of countless better and more enlightened systems of living). It is the execution of these plans in practice, in life, in this brutal world, that is the tragic problem which has not yet been solved anywhere. That is why as an interim solution I would count on social democratic softening of capitalism and would not rely on any millennial solutions...

#83 Bader

Bader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:53 AM

That's a good phrase. Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to global evolution and the like from the ratical site?
Anyhow I agree fully in what you said Machl..., regarding it being easy to plan or put ideas on paper and that is so common but as you say its the putting these things into practice is where man is failing.
I have said before it doesn't matter what system you put into place it cannot work to the good of the general population under
the debt money system. That's why the problem is where you said it is - in the execution of the systems/plans/policy.
You cannot do anything without money and who ever controls the
creation and cancellation of the money controls what people do
in the economy, in politics, in academia and the media etc etc.
It is an informal government over nations and global forces.
Presidents and Prime Ministers have been murdered because they
threatened to move outside this informal government.
Global evolution:
Sorry Donq. and Marq. I cannot share your enthusiasm. Globalisation and evolution are give-ways that the thinking is from inside the square you are trying break out of. I have to say
that some of the thinking and emerging thoughts are arrising
from conditioning. The power elite are well on the way to
developing global evolution after all what they have been doing to the planet and humanity has begged the question they want everyone to ask and then they provide the answer.
There is more than one way to skin a cat and by controlling more than one force, like a boxing promoter who owns both fighters in the ring, he can't loose and half the crowd will be behind him
which ever way it goes.
The money system has to be democratised (decentralised). It's as dumb as letting a corporation buy government, which is privatisation gone mad. A non-fraudulent money system has to be designed to serve within, not outside and controlling, the economy.
While the Japanese academic in her article largely summarised
the problems around the world, they were the symptims and although she realised that the debt banking system was a
major problem she obviously had no idea why.
The method of problem solving if i remember correctly has at step one - first identify the problem correctly.
What I did get out of it Marq.., is why you opt for benign
dictatorship, where people give away freedom for a good system.
I have probably overstated it but I have no doubt if you research
back before the First World War there was probably similar
concerns to what the Japanese academic wrote, the failings of capitalism, the notion of a socially just system more humane
and many thought communism was going to do that, losing a
bit of freedom for the over-riding benefits. Even people like
Sir Bernard Shaw perhaps a world leading academic believed it
was going to produce utopia.
Well today we have the Biodiversity Treaty which came out of the Earth Summit and they want the world population to drop to
about a third by two thousand and forty. Any volunteers to
ship out by euthenasia for the good of the planet reading this
post? They will never make that target by natural means!
Try also the Millenium Agreement which I think came out of the
Johannasburg summit. Has the ratical site heard of this plan
of salvation for the planet by world government? This might be what you were referring to Mach..?
Checkout site "sovereignty.net" or if you can get it Dr Codffman's
other site "discerningthetimes.org" or do a search on his name.
Fact, as they say is stranger than fiction.

#84 machlud haul

machlud haul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:40 AM

Wouldn't currency be just the most recent incarnation of the most universal currency of them all, power? The sinking fund of England was a majestic motor of history, but it was preceded by many others: the wave goes on and we haven't thus far been able to control the direction in any significant way. I feel an enormous respect towards your ideas, but I'm not sure that they point any new way out. Something more spiritual, more organic would be needed, true, but how can this be chosen without reason and rationality - which we are not yet at all capable of...

#85 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 04:25 PM

<<What would it take for russia to be #1??????>>

<That's easy!>

<Brains,>

They got that...

<Balls>

They beat the Nazi army... Although in this case it may not be easy for them to know where the enemy is.

<and a Work Ethic!>

Well, maybe they are asking hard questions like, "Who am I working for, the bureaucrats or the capitalist pigs?" and decide to take it easy.

I'm sure they can be better motivated...

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

But chances are that is never going to happen because they are more interested in pissing, moaning and crying!

Too many gangsters over there calling the shots for the country to have things better! [/B][/QUOTE]

#86 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

< Sorry Donq. and Marq. I cannot share your enthusiasm. Globalisation and evolution are give-ways that the thinking is from inside the square you are trying break out of. I have to say
that some of the thinking and emerging thoughts are arrising
from conditioning. The power elite are well on the way to
developing global evolution after all what they have been doing to the planet and humanity has begged the question they want everyone to ask and then they provide the answer.>

This is a confirmation of our worst fears, but I believe there's a hope so long as we approach the beast with a double strategy... (this is something I wrote recently).

"OK, all those wonderful ideas are in the book 'Natural Capitalism,'* but there's no political will to change... The 'lion' is both hungry and stupid...

Well, give him the 'whip' and then the reward... If we, the little
animals, are to survive, the lion must be tamed...

Here's the whip..."

In other words, I got a flyer that got on one side the little stories and on the other the solution at the start of this thread, and the little people understand--perhaps because it was written for them--that we must tame the beast--for they suffer from it.

Remember, the hope lies with the proles... :)

#87 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:49 PM

For Russia to become number 1 you need one thing: Jesus Christ. Get rid of the Vodka and Whores!

#88 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:01 PM

<For Russia to become number 1 you need one thing: Jesus Christ. Get rid of the Vodka and Whores!>

Get rid of the whores, they should be free!

As for the Vodka, it should be cheaper!

#89 Bader

Bader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:15 AM

Howdy Machlud Haul,
everysociety needs a medium of exchange and the tokens used
representing the real wealth have been shells and cattlehide discs even bottles of rum and today it is paper or a metal strip on a plastic card.
Originally the tokens were the property of those who owned the
wealth it represented. It was easier to carry a hide disc than to go to market with a cow in ones back pocket and ending up trading only half a cow.
When gold became a common form of currency the goldsmiths
who had safes and strongrooms naturally provided a service
which added to their income. The receipts issued tp prove ownership of the gold naturally became a form of currency for the same practical reason a farmer traded with discs.
Over time the goldsmiths noticed that 90% of the gold stayed put
because paper was moving about through many hands just like dollars. So they knew they were pretty safe to fraudulently
issue paper on what was in their vaults which they didn't own.
People kept on using the bits of paper, the gold mostly stayed put
and a set of book about who owed the goldsmiths lending pieces of paper they had no backing for themselves because the prototype until very recently modern 10% fractional reserve banking system.
In effect those fraudulent pieces of paper were based on the credit of the borrower not the lender who ended up with the
real tokens of the borrower plus interest. And if they got real smart they could persuade people to over borrow and then fore-
close and take over their capital assets, perhaps after playing one borrower off against another in competition. Still goes on today.
Now if the credit of the borrower is the basis of the creation of
money and not the bankers credit why should society borrow
from a bank that doesn't have the credit in the first place and pay them interest on moniorising your credit. A democratic system
should have a national credit system whereby the people can monitarise their credit without paying interest only a bookkeeping fee-
No debt or an elite power system dictating to their government
and dictating what policy they can have. No need to flood ones country with people of foreign culture to get the use of the immagrants money because governments can't keep on borrowing to fulfill policy.
Check out your countries health and education systems. You will
find the services are being increasingly compromised by the debt
percentage of their budgets. Not only is the banking system fraudulent but totally unnecessary.
AS I said the tokens or certificates were the property of those who owned the wealth (credit) now its the manufacturers of the
tokens (bank computer figures today) that issue and control the
tokens and certificates of today not those who own the wealth they actually represent. No magician ever pulled off such a
stunt on any stage in history that equals this diabolical dictatorship of intangible bookkeeping. Truely the pen in the hand of the banker is mightier than the sword.
In my country 3% of the money supply is the publics debtfree notes and coins, the rest is the fraudulent figures on paper created out of thin air by the touch of computer keys that brings the borrower under the control of the banking system.
I expect that these percentages are internationally standard
today. So 97% of the money in circulation is principle with a debt over it, right? How do you pay the principle back plus the interest
owing out of the principle plus a bit of cash? It's a fixed wheel.
It is mathematically impossible as designed to be. You borrow the interest of cause and the next economic cycle starts again.
And so virtually every country is trying to sell more than it imports
once again an imposibility, its a great game of musical chairs and only one real winner. Islam opposes usury, they are the last frontier to be conquered for the new world order to be completed.
Fact is stranger than fiction.

#90 machlud haul

machlud haul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:44 AM

I don't know if you'll be surprised, but I would say that much or most of your analysis seems quite relevant in my view. Probably professional economists might cringe a bit at this, but they are known to be superficial people, not concerned with deep analysis. Without credit financing, we would not be here, that's for sure. But I would still say that the original fateful "decicion" was organized civilization in itself, maybe in the form of stored surplus grain. From that step forward history has been quick and terrible, and we have had no control over its direction. In that sense I would say that capital and credit finances are just the latest (and most probably not the last) form of the blind organized power that is history. I suspect that I am in strong sympathy with most of your criticism, but am quite a bit more hesitant as to any obvious remedies.

#91 MarquisDeSade

MarquisDeSade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:25 PM

hi bader, one most common mistake human being like to do is to push the blame on others. who created the world we are living in now? humans. so where do the problems lie? humans. and, the best thing is, everyone knows the world is corrupted but they just passively accept it. with such an attitude, the ball of blame keeps on passing. i would agree you are correct,to a certain extent. but, have you dwell deep enough to see the problems? have you been open enough to accept and understand more opinions and ideas? have you seen all possibilities of solving the problems?how far did you go? everyone has ask themselves. the world is in such a mess. what not make it a better place?

by the way, dictorship and centralisation of power are different methods of controlling. dictorship is decisions from one single person. centralisation is of a single entity or body. and, dictorship might not be a bad thing too if the leader acts in good faith taking care of his citizens. we just have too many bad examples shown and it doesnt mean there isn't good leader existed at all.

when the problems have persisted and lasted for such a long time. why still so passive?

#92 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:05 PM

<everysociety needs a medium of exchange and the tokens used
representing the real wealth have been shells and cattlehide discs even bottles of rum and today it is paper or a metal strip on a plastic card.>

Hi Bader

Done, you'll get the Economy Ministry in our Revolution. :)

You know, it'd be real interesting to have that mechanism you just explained written into a story like these...

PS: Can you elaborate some more into the Islamic lending method?

#93 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:12 PM

<I don't know if you'll be surprised, but I would say that much or most of your analysis seems quite relevant in my view. Probably professional economists might cringe a bit at this, but they are known to be superficial people, not concerned with deep analysis. Without credit financing, we would not be here, that's for sure. But I would still say that the original fateful "decicion" was organized civilization in itself, maybe in the form of stored surplus grain. From that step forward history has been quick and terrible, and we have had no control over its direction. In that sense I would say that capital and credit finances are just the latest (and most probably not the last) form of the blind organized power that is history. I suspect that I am in strong sympathy with most of your criticism, but am quite a bit more hesitant as to any obvious remedies. >

One solution might be to cut clean with the system. How? Create 'free groups' where 'free individuals' join to work and share their profits. The name? COOPERATIVES.

#94 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:21 PM

<by the way, dictorship and centralisation of power are different methods of controlling. dictorship is decisions from one single person. centralisation is of a single entity or body. and, dictorship might not be a bad thing too if the leader acts in good faith taking care of his citizens. we just have too many bad examples shown and it doesnt mean there isn't good leader existed at all.>>

The minute we get a great leader, we'll be taking a big chance. And since he'll have the power by then, it'll pretty useless what you can do about it. Hitler was one of those.

Real freedom will come when the 'road to freedom' is itself free.

<when the problems have persisted and lasted for such a long time. why still so passive?>

"Inertia is the physics law that dooms humanity"

EVOLVE OR DIE

Once upon a time lived a race of dinosaurs whose violence and appetite alarmed everybody... One day a Little Ant, tired of feeling stepped upon, and worried about her cooperative enterprise, came up to the Americanus Raptor--the biggest dinosaur of them all--and asked: "Why you always have to protect the right of the dinosaurs, who do nothing but eat everything in their path? Why don't the little animals get a fair share of this world?" Then the dinosaur, who had a bad temper, replied: "Bigger is better, so get lost..."

The Little Ant, then, gathered the whole cooperative and said: "Comrades, our world is being threatened by the dinosaurs, so..." And at that precise moment the Earth was hit by a big ball of fire, destroying everything but the small animals...

#95 Bader

Bader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:53 AM

I wanted to get back to an earlier comment Machl.. you made and I note you said it again in slighly different words-
....mankind.. .utterly unable to be rational and enlightened as a collective...
..something more spiritual, more organic, but how can this be chosen without reason and rationality...
societry has to free itself from the elite control of information. The net will be a huge aid in this. Go back a few hundred years
when much of Europe was under the spell of the Church of Rome until the advent of the printing press. When scriture was published and available to the general public who until then were forbidden to read the Bible which was exclusive to Priests the public then were able to findout that much of what was "taught"
was not based on the Bible at all but tradition ( ie. based on man not God) the spell over people began to break down and led to the reformation which wasn't simply religious but also nationalism and economic.
The three main outlets for information is politics, media and academia. All have been sown up by money power because if you
control peoples thinking that is your first line of defence.
History of the last century without going further back is a classic example of mis-information and lies. The myths and fables about the money system is another. It goes on and on. THe internal combustion engine running on petroleum is obsolete but the
elite won't let us think about easier ways that we could supply our own energy source. All the important things we need for
becoming more free, like truth, have been closed off.
Our so called leaders, in politics, media and academia put their
careers first because the powers that be are more than able to make one a public fool and a professinal pariah.
I like the word "organic" you used Machl.., Donl.. would love that
too. A corporation is "organisation" type of system which rules
over man and his inginuity. A cooperative is orgnic and the
man is free to benefit from the increment of association, giving him more power to increase his freedom.
Orthodox education steers us away from such thinking doesn't it.
We are primarily educated to serve the systems that benefit an
elite.
The spiritual aspect you raise is also very important. Ultimately
if a model of a good society was to be developed it would have to include the reality that we also have spiritual dimension as well
as the material.
If one wanted link this aspect to the other notable point you made - " original fateful decision" where everything started to go wrong we go back to Babylon, the city of rebellion.
In the Book of Daniel the common denominator of histroy is portrayed. The Babylonian empire stands in many outward forms over history but the heart remains the same. This is why Marq
and you observe no effective revolution by man against the evil
systems.
If we could complete an indepth analysis of the problems and devise remedies and better ways which we could all agree on the
problem then becomes how do we implement them when those
who hold power would recognise us as their mortal enemies.
But we still desire the know and we won't stop trying to find out.
I have left Donq.. to have answered your questions Marg.., but
I am sure at the heart of your perceptions is your cultural background which is different from mine and it would be interesting to know more about this to appreciate your point of view.
THanks Donq.. for promotion into your revolutionary government,
should I anticipate you would be Minister of Industry? Can we vote, or is that too old fashioned.
On a more serious note could you enlighten us regards the Swiss
governemnt. I have heard it doesn't have a president or prime minister, but the cabinet is. Sounds interesting.
Regards Islamic lending, I tried to find the site I found information on but couldn't get it. I think its "al-bab.com" but it is presented by Brian Whitaker who put his Uni research material on the net for
other Europeans to learn about the Arab world. If you do a search
Donq.. on his name you might find it.
But briefly the deference between the western bank lending and an islamic bank is that the western wants its pound of flesh come
boom or bust and take your assets if you fail. The Islamic bank takes the approach of an invester. If you fail they accept the failure and no return but if you are successful they will share in the success as they would the loss. To what degree I dont know or for how long.
cheers.

#96 machlud haul

machlud haul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:10 AM

Good points from all - and many that I can't very effectively answer: I do suppose that I have quite a pessimistic, maybe even a defeatist attitude towards rational whole scale reform and revolution. I just think that our tools and methods dominate us - currently history consists of billions of individual acts governed by cultural, political, economic structures. How could we make a clean break? All attempts (and quite puny ones as compared to the challenge) have been quite disastrous, often worse than the conditions they tried remedy. The current level of technological progress as opposed to almost non-existent moral evolution is scary. We might wipe out live from the planet this century. No man is an island, true: so no-one is completely innocent or completely responsible, our crimes and good works are common to all. I am not Christian but I see quite deep wisdom in the concept of the Fall - I would just call that history, and I am not at all sure if can ever escape it. Well, it is true that some societies currently are better than others and partial progress has been achieved. If given time, we might be able to do better. But do we have much time?

#97 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:21 PM

<societry has to free itself from the elite control of information.>

"Karl Marx held that history is shaped by control of the means of production. In our times history is shaped by control of the means of communication" Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.

<History of the last century without going further back is a classic example of mis-information and lies. The myths and fables about the money system is another. It goes on and on. THe internal combustion engine running on petroleum is obsolete but the
elite won't let us think about easier ways that we could supply our own energy source. All the important things we need for
becoming more free, like truth, have been closed off.
Our so called leaders, in politics, media and academia put their
careers first because the powers that be are more than able to make one a public fool and a professinal pariah.>

To prove the point check the site that follows--book 'Natural Capitalism--for dozens of common sense ideas--like Curitiba's--that are being resisted by outdated capitalism, even thogh they are capitalist ideas!

http://www.natcap.or...epages/pid5.php

<THanks Donq.. for promotion into your revolutionary government,
should I anticipate you would be Minister of Industry? Can we vote, or is that too old fashioned.>

Good old-fashion direct voting is the best. Greek direct democracy is still the best, and it should be our ideal--as much as possible--not the representative mockery.

But anyways we'll make an exception for you. :)

You know, Bader, it would be interesting to have an story to explain your own theory. (Notice there's an important addition where it says "and invest it in the Big Country," because really the money never stays in the Little Country.)

HOW POLITICS WORKS

(This little, tiny story is part of a series, in which I explain to my little daughter how things work.)

Politics works like this: Big People of Big Country buy Big People of Little Country, who, by the way, will be elected in "democratic elections" thanks to big bucks; Big People of Big Country give big loans to Little Country (of course, to buy "made in Big Country"); Big People of Little Country pocket a big chunk and invest it in the Big Country, without ever investing in real development (education, health, the environment, etc); Little People of Little Country work for ever to pay back what they never got; Big People of Little Country thank Big People of Big Country in the name of Little Country, and promise to repay the big debt; and Little People of Little Country get big promises, just like Little People of Big Country. And they lived happily ever after...

<On a more serious note could you enlighten us regards the Swiss
governemnt. I have heard it doesn't have a president or prime minister, but the cabinet is. Sounds interesting.>

Both excellent articles on Switzerland. (Did I bring it up before in this thread?)

http://www.isil.org/...ton-system.html

http://www.google.co...ogle.com&rnum=5

#98 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:35 PM

Re: What Brian is calling for

<is to support the lazy in a manner to which they would like to become accustomed.>

The capitalist have the nerve to call those who produce their riches "lazy," and refuse to share more equally.

<That crap has never worked, and wont until someone finds a humane method of assuring that no one uses it to live off the others for free. (government workers and career welfare recipients)>

Just ask any mother in Scandinavia why they are #1 in benefits.

But it you insist on not sharing with the "lazy," there's another way: the cooperative. You stick your money in... and let the little people work for themselves.

We'll see who' lazy...

#99 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:40 PM

<<What would it take for Russia to be #1? >>

<A miracle?

Divine Providence?

Or maybe spit, chewing gum and an advanced form of Christian Science!>

Why even try it, Russia we'll never be blessed like America!

Just look at what she has accomplished in just 227 years of independence!

WE GOT THE BEST EDUCATED HOMELESS IN THE WORLD!!!

The homeless are everywhere: parks, beaches, scenic places, romantic
hideaways, libraries... The powerful, safe and comfortable in their
fortified citadels, ignore them; the average family, turned down by
their presence, is kept away from out better places... We can safely
say: America got the best educated homeless in the world!!!

THE PROBLEM

(Source: Homelessness in the United States: A Policy Analysis, by
Jessica P. Wilkins)

An ideal proposal also gets to the root of the homelessness problem.
Some proposals try and deal with the symptoms of homelessness, such as
building the homeless more shelters or allowing them to loiter in parks
and other public places, but these proposals really do nothing to combat
the true problem. Instead of dealing with the symptoms of homelessness,
an ideal proposal would deal with the actual problem by trying to help
the homeless escape from their current condition.

A SOLUTION (Curitiba, Brazil)

The urban transportation system is one of Curitiba's best-known planning
successes, a model for cities around world that want to implement
eco-efficient transportation networks that are well-integrated with
urban form and produce environmental benefits.

The city pioneered the idea of an all-bus transit network with special
bus-only avenues created along well-defined structural axes that were
also used to channel the city's growth. The transit system is rapid and
cheap, and is currently being integrated with the metropolitan region.

Its efficiency encourages people to leave their cars at home. Curitiba
has one of highest rates of car ownership in Brazil, and high population
growth. Yet auto traffic has dropped substantially; Curitiba has the
highest public ridership of any Brazilian city (about 2.14 million
passengers a day), and it registers the country's lowest rates of
ambient pollution and per capita gas consumption. In addition, an
inexpensive "social fare" promotes equality, benefiting poorer residents
settled on the city's periphery. A standard fare is charged for all
trips, meaning shorter rides subsidize longer ones. One fare can take a
passenger 70 kilometers.

Curitiba is referred to as the ecological capital of Brazil, with a
network of 28 parks and wooded areas. In 1970, there was less than 1
square meter of green space per person; now there are 52 square meters
for each person. Residents planted 1.5 million trees along city streets.
Builders get tax breaks if their projects include green space. Flood
waters diverted into new lakes in parks solved the problem of dangerous
flooding, while also protecting valley floors and riverbanks, acting as
a barrier to illegal occupation, and providing aesthetic and
recreational value to the thousands of people who use city parks.

The "green exchange" employment program focuses on social inclusion,
benefiting both those in need and the environment. Low-income families
living in shantytowns unreachable by truck bring their trash bags to
neighborhood centers, where they exchange them for bus tickets and food.
This means less city litter and less disease, less garbage dumped in
sensitive areas such as rivers and a better life for the undernourished
poor. There's also a program for children where they can exchange
recyclable garbage for school supplies, chocolate, toys and tickets for
shows.

Under the "garbage that's not garbage" program, 70% of the city's trash
is recycled by its residents. Once a week, a truck collects paper,
cardboard, metal, plastic and glass that has been sorted in the city's
homes. The city's paper recycling alone saves the equivalent of 1,200
trees a day. As well as the environmental benefits, money raised from
selling materials goes into social programs, and the city employs the
homeless and recovering alcoholics in its garbage separation plant.

#100 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

Some more on the Swiss Model. It doesn't say much about what it is, but it says something very important: It's being copied...

http://www.sundayobs.../15/new000.html

The following article though is very interesting. It wants that model for Afghanistan, but it doesn't want it for herself, at least not beyond pretty words...

Swiss democracy may be a good model for Afghanistan

The Dallas Morning News
April 25, 2002

The attacks of Sept. 11 have radically altered the course upon which the United States has been set since the close of World War II. America is no longer merely the defender of freedom and democracy or just the economic juggernaut that has pushed for open markets and greater cooperation. The United States has assumed a new role and a new mission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru