• Please log in to reply
7545 replies to this topic

#1461 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:50 PM

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country... Corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."

Abraham Lincoln, 1864

This is another big problem we face: Big Bucks buy "Democratic Elections"!

The solution, as I point out in my proposal, would be to make politics become cheaper, something that somehow escapes the attention of the stupid lion...;)

(B) Because Oregon candidates now treat campaign fundraising as an ?arms race

#1462 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:23 PM

"Much foreign aid is simply stolen by elites, and almost all the rest has been wasted on projects that yielded no economic benefits whatsoever." (source below)

We know the story...;)

HOW POLITICS WORKS

(This little, tiny story is part of a series, in which I explain to my little daughter how things work.)

Politics works like this: Big People of Big Country buy Big People of Little Country, who, by the way, will be elected in "democratic elections" thanks to big bucks; Big People of Big Country give big loans to Little Country (of course, to buy "made in Big Country"); Big People of Little Country pocket a big chunk and invest it in the Big Country, without ever investing in real development (education, health, the environment, etc); Little People of Little Country work for ever to pay back what they never got; Big People of Little Country thank Big People of Big Country in the name of Little Country, and promise to repay the big debt; and Little People of Little Country get big promises, just like Little People of Big Country. And they lived happily ever after...

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

<THE U S IS NUMBER 1 IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS.
#1 IN FOREIGN AID.
#1 IN FOREIGN AID
#1 IN FOREIGN AID.>

NOT TRUE
NOT TRUE
NOT TRUE;)

Small donors show up U.S. aid
U.N. report highlights efforts relative to national economies

It doesn't look pretty: The United States ranks last among the world's 28 top foreign aid donor countries, and its foreign assistance levels have dropped dramatically over the past 10 years, according to a United Nations report released this week.

(snip)

Granted, if you look at the actual dollar figures, the $9.9 billion annual U.S. foreign assistance ranks only second after Japan's $13.5 billion.

But when you look at countries' foreign aid relative to the size of their economies, the United States is devoting 0.1 per cent of its gross national product (GNP) to help the world's poorest countries, less than any other industrialized nation.

By comparison, Denmark spends 1.06 percent of its GNP on foreign aid, the Netherlands 0.84 percent, Norway 0.80 percent, Germany 0.27 percent, Japan 0.28 percent, Portugal 0.26 percent, and Spain 0.22 percent. What's worse, U.S. foreign aid has by this measure been cut in half over the past 10 years.

http://www.miami.com...mer/3729418.htm

< SO TELL ME, WHERE IS SCANDANAVIA AND CANADA WHEN IT COMES TO FOREIGN AID?

THEY ARE NOT EVEN ON THE LIST........... >

Foreign aid is the problem not the solution

On March 18, the United Nations convenes a major conference in Monterrey, Mexico, on the need to sharply increase foreign aid. President Bush will be heavily pressured to go along when he addresses the conference on Friday.

The plight of the developing world cannot be exaggerated. Poverty, disease, unemployment and a general sense of hopelessness affect most of the world's population. It is impossible not to be moved by their condition and want to help. However, it doesn't follow that more foreign aid is the answer. Indeed, a strong case can be made that foreign aid has been the problem for many developing countries, rather than the solution.

(snip)

The list of ways in which poor countries have sabotaged development is almost endless. Industries were nationalized and private enterprise snuffed out by high taxes, regulations and corruption. Price controls are pervasive in the agricultural sector, leading to lower output and famine. *Much foreign aid is simply stolen by elites, and almost all the rest has been wasted on projects that yielded no economic benefits whatsoever*.

more...

http://www.townhall....b20020315.shtml

#1463 GIJOE

GIJOE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:44 PM

DONQ

OLD SAYINGS ARE OLD BECUASE MOST OF THEM ARE TRUE.

''CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME''

I COME FROM THE GHETTO, I AM THE OLDEST OF SEVEN CHILDREN, FIVE BROTHERS IN ONE BED.
EIGHTH GRADE EDUCATION.
STILL WITHOUT ANYTHING GOING FOR ME BUT TALENT AND GRIT.
AND LIVING IN THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY, I NOW LIVE IN A FINE HOME, DRIVE A GREAT CAR, PUT THREE KIDS THRU COLLEGE,

#1464 Bader

Bader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:19 AM

WOJ:
have you seen ''truthinmedia.org"?
A Yugoslav journalist and public speaker. Plenty of good reading
there.
The NATO invasion of Yug. may have been a wake up call for UE,
he suggests for Russia as well, perhaps this is one of the reasons
Russia has become an associate member to know whats going on.
Germany played a key role in build up of the so called Kosovo
Liberation Army, what ever they were called. Basically terrorists.
Alleged that Turkey and Afghan. helped train them. The last
factor may have some connections with Bin Laden.
In one loaction vacated by those terrorists, Serb police uniforms were found amongst other gear left behind. We can guess what they were doing when they wore those.
Doesnt take much imagination to see implications re Chechnia
and undermining Russia and its relationship with Islam and its
position re the Caspian gas and oil.

Well done GI Joe.

#1465 woj1@cyberonic.

woj1@cyberonic.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10667 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 12:42 PM

Tbilisi's 'Revolution of Roses' Mentored by Serbian Activists
Foes of Milosevic Trained Georgians
"Gotov Je," the sign said. "He's finished," it meant. But the message, strangely enough, was in Serbian, not Georgian.
The bloodless "revolution of roses" that toppled Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze on Sunday might have transpired in the streets of Tbilisi, but in a way it was inspired in the streets of Belgrade.
The Georgian opposition movement modeled its campaign on the popular uprising that deposed Yugoslavia's president, Slobodan Milosevic, in October 2000 and even adopted its slogan. Opposition leaders traveled to Belgrade for advice and brought their Serbian counterparts to Tbilisi. Thousands of Georgians were trained in the techniques honed in Belgrade. .http://www.washingto...anguage=printer

Problem with this intercept is only one that not Serbs only US MRS. Albright fought Milosevic and US dogs kidnapped Milosevic for what Serbian activists removed Djikovic from Serbia and Montenegro for good.

#1466 woj1@cyberonic.

woj1@cyberonic.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10667 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 02:23 PM

Bader; Albanians were brought to Kosovo by Hitler. They were very active in Hitler actions and memorized on many pictures from war. Albanians were wearing karakul fur hats so they were very distinguished from others in Hitler army.
Fact that Clinton followed Hitler on n his way on Russia it is not surprising for anybody.
Seeing no victory ahead, Americans switch to attack Arabs what I see as God blessing for Slavs. This is like an attempt to create Amazon river in Sahara.

#1467 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:25 PM

< OLD SAYINGS ARE OLD BECUASE MOST OF THEM ARE TRUE.

''CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME''

I COME FROM THE GHETTO, I AM THE OLDEST OF SEVEN CHILDREN, FIVE BROTHERS IN ONE BED.
EIGHTH GRADE EDUCATION.
STILL WITHOUT ANYTHING GOING FOR ME BUT TALENT AND GRIT.
AND LIVING IN THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY, I NOW LIVE IN A FINE HOME, DRIVE A GREAT CAR, PUT THREE KIDS THRU COLLEGE,>

Good for you, GI. But the conditions simply ain't there for most people to lift themselves up. To begin with, they would need an education, something which is not a high priority in the "land of opportunity." Another problem is that the welfare becomes a drug for people. Isn't capitalism the one who preaches "Teach them how to fish..."? Don't you think we can provide *options* for everybody to do something for society, including coops?

#1468 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:38 PM

"the middle class is shrinking, the
gap between the rich and poor is widening, and the American dream is at
risk."

OK, perhaps you were lucky but you shouldn't deny there's a jungle out there--and getting worse...:confused:

A QUESTION OF FAIRNESS: A NOW with Bill Moyers Special Edition
Friday, November 21, 2003 at 9pm on PBS
(Check local listings at http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html)

=============================================================
This week, NOW examines A QUESTION OF FAIRNESS:

In the United States, the idea that anyone can succeed is a vital part
of our national identity. But today, the middle class is shrinking, the
gap between the rich and poor is widening, and the American dream is at
risk. What's behind the growing disparity that's creating a two-class
society?

A QUESTION OF FAIRNESS

On Friday, November 21, 2003, A QUESTION OF FAIRNESS, a special edition
of NOW WITH BILL MOYERS, analyzes how the politics of the privileged is
jeopardizing America's economic future. The program traces the roots of
the growing economic inequality in the U.S. and illustrates the
sometimes forgotten human toll of government policies that favor corporations
over individuals through three compelling stories.

First, NOW examines NAFTA's role in the impending extinction of a
cherished American way of life in the story of a once-thriving Pennsylvania
mill town and the hardworking residents plunged into the desperate
ranks of the working poor in WINNERS AND LOSERS.

Then, NOW reports on the tangible human costs of financial deregulation
laws passed in the late 1990s by corporate-friendly politicians and the
WorldCom collapse that stole the future away from so many individual
investors in REWRITING THE RULES.

Finally, NOW tells the tale of the best intentions derailed by
corporate greed in a profile of a Republican governor's thwarted bid to reform
the nation's most regressive tax system and level the playing field for
Alabama's poor in TAX JUSTICE.

"Essential to the soul of democracy is the question of fairness.
Absolute equality is impossible, but can a country with great extremes
between rich and poor be fair? This is an extraordinarily complicated story,
and in this hour we analyze some of the examples of how real people are
affected when the see-saw of economics tilts so far in one direction,"
says Bill Moyers. "We live in a political economy, and viewers of this
report will see how what happens to America on the economic front can
often be traced through what happens out of sight, behind a closed door
in some political corridor of power."

NOW WITH BILL MOYERS continues online at PBS.org (www.pbs.org/now).
Log on to the site to for information on executive pay in relation to the
average worker; for updates on the WorldCom scandal; for a job
re-training resource map; for an evaluation of the state of American unions;
for a comparison of an average family's tax rate to 10 of America's
corporations; and more.

#1469 GIJOE

GIJOE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:20 PM

Hard work is something most people have an aversion to.
I admit luck is a part of our destiny.
But I do believe that when preperation meets oppurtunity, we have a thing called luck....

woj1, still have not heard from you. I do expect some type of retraction. joe

#1470 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:18 PM

<Hard work is something most people have an aversion to.
But I do believe that when preperation meets oppurtunity, we have a thing called luck....>

"If you and I must fight each other to exist, we will not love each other very hard." -Eugene Debs

There must be room however for those who choose to cooperate, shouldn't it?

#1471 GIJOE

GIJOE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:38 PM

Originally posted by donquijote
<Hard work is something most people have an aversion to.
But I do believe that when preperation meets oppurtunity, we have a thing called luck....>

"If you and I must fight each other to exist, we will not love each other very hard." -Eugene Debs

There must be room however for those who choose to cooperate, shouldn't it?

LOVE IS ALWAYS BETTER THEN HATE.
PEACE THEN WAR, FRIEND THEN FOE. PAX joe

#1472 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:59 PM

<LOVE IS ALWAYS BETTER THEN HATE.
PEACE THEN WAR, FRIEND THEN FOE. PAX joe>

Perhaps the Lion can be tamed, but the Fox...the Fox is another matter...;)

#1473 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:07 AM

'TV and radio should be independent of Big Business and the State. (This is due to two reasons: culturally, because the ratings make bad programs become "good"... for business; and, politically, because whoever has power over the media... will be in power; however, people should be able to watch anything on video and cable; the BBC offers us and example of an independent media.)' [what I propose]

And some article on the subject...

'In a robust defence of public service broadcasting Mr Dyke said TV was not "just another commodity" like Starbucks or Coca-Cola and disagreed with those who said it should be left to the market.'

BBC's Dyke attacks US war coverage

In a robust defence of public service broadcasting Mr Dyke said TV was not "just another commodity" like Starbucks or Coca-Cola and disagreed with those who said it should be left to the market.

From MediaGuardian.co.uk, November 25, 2003
By Julia Day

BBC director general Greg Dyke delivered a stinging criticism of US news coverage of the war in Iraq as he collected a prestigious award for his contribution to broadcasting at an international awards ceremony last night.

Mr Dyke said it was the BBC's duty to stand up to the government as he was presented with an international Emmy directorate award for his outstanding achievement in TV broadcasting at the ceremony in New York.

"News organisations should be in the business of balancing their coverage, not banging the drum for one side or the other. This is something which seemed to get lost in American reporting of the war," said Mr Dyke.

He said only four out of 840 experts interviewed on US news outlets during the conflict opposed the war and the situation would not have been tolerated at the BBC.

"Telling people what they want to hear is not doing them any favours. It may not be comfortable to challenge governments or even popular opinion but it's what we are here to do," he said.

In a robust defence of public service broadcasting Mr Dyke said TV was not "just another commodity" like Starbucks or Coca-Cola and disagreed with those who said it should be left to the market.

"Television is only different from coffee or Coke if we recognise that fact. If we treat TV like these things, it will become like them. We end up with nothing more than a briefly enjoyable experience devoid of any lasting value," he said.

British broadcasters scooped four out of seven international Emmy awards at last night's ceremony, with the BBC notching up three gongs in the arts, popular arts (scripted) and young people categories.

http://mediareform.n...ews.php?id=1804

#1474 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:20 AM

The Hungry Lion spares no one in his bulimic behavior...;)

'During their formative years, kids are presently subjected to some of the marketing industry's most sophisticated techniques to shape their desires. This aggressive media culture often runs counter to parents' interests: it glorifies materialism, addiction, hedonism, violence, and antisocial behavior. America's epidemic rates of obesity, type 2 diabetes, alcoholism, anorexia, bulimia, and tobacco addition can be traced back in large part to exposure to these marketing influences.

Effective childrens' media regulation empowers parents hoping to limit commercial influences on their children. This can take many forms, such as eliminating federal subsidies, deductions or preferences for outlets that accept advertising aimed at children ? or banning it altogether.'

http://mediareform.n...e.php?id=kidstv

#1475 GIJOE

GIJOE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:06 AM

the fox survives, because he is swift and cunning.
the lion has no need to be.
the fox and the lion share no common territory, therefore, they have no confliction.
best to leave the lion,and keep and eye on the fox.

#1476 donquijote

donquijote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3919 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:19 AM

I highly recommend this article in particular and the magazine in general. It seems, like I said, the Lion can be tamed, at least the Real Warrior, not the Hungry Stupid one.;)

Guess who said this...

"Do you know what astonished me most in the world? The inability of force to create anything. In the long run, the sword is always beaten by the spirit."

These 3 sentences, spoken by one of the most important men in modern European history, struck me with a profound sense that we in 2003 are re-living a history that we should have learned from. You might take a minute to guess who the speaker was.

Given this statement, backed by extensive experience, it may seem ironic to say that we must struggle for peace. This struggle may not need high tech weapons, nor a highly paid media. More important are conscious, caring people.

Part of our struggle for peace means we must understand where war and peace come from. We also need to understand the different shades of both war and peace, and to understand who gains what from war.

(snip)

*Arundhati Roy explores another root of war: greed for resources. This seems evident in the recent Iraq war. It's truly good to be rid of Saddam Hussein, but what was the motivation behind it? I suspect time will tell that acquisition, more than liberation, was behind the American invasion*.

Sohail Inayatullah asks if there is a future for war. It would seem so, at least in our present climate. Modern war has the arms industry and its huge profits as its base. Also, we still accept war as an answer to international problems. *We need to change our perspective, so that cooperation and mediation come to the forefront of international relations*.

(snip)

So, *long-lasting peace is only possible with a moral, universalistic societal base*. Also, every society needs to know how to protect itself from violence. "Peace does not deny the need for the warrior spirit, for the appropriate use of strong, even military action, to defend ourselves and others from violence and injustice," notes Marcus Bussey.

Tony Judge adds that the whole war scenario nowadays may just be a distraction--albeit a big one--from a larger issue, which he sums up as: "*Destruction selectively used may be a form of distraction--as illustrated by the focus on the war on terror as a substitute for action on poverty, injustice and the degradation of the environment*."

Nowadays, *it's hard to know whom to follow or believe. I suggest that when we choose leaders, we look for benevolence that doesn't elevate or lower any group of people, for people who act without seeking personal gain, and for those with the courage and wisdom to do difficult tasks that ultimately benefit the whole society*.

Oh, and our astonished speaker at the beginning was Napoleon. I hope our present society doesn't have to wait too long to understand what Napoleon realized only at the end of his life.

http://www.ru.org/cc.html

#1477 GIJOE

GIJOE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:26 AM

THE WORLD HAS BEEN AT WAR WITH NO LET UP EXCEPT FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS IN BETWEEN MAJOR WORLD WARS.
When will it cease? When man becomes human, and not animal man..

#1478 The Beat

The Beat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15667 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:18 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

#1479 Bader

Bader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1757 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:23 AM

I think greed is an over simplistic label.
Sure there is greed, there is eat or be eaten as well, there is
a similar result from hard work or reaping while the sun shines as
when someone is actually just acting on greed.
In general the debt money system creates a gravity if you like that
makes a kill or be killed drive to survive and suviving isnt treading water it beating your opposition just like in the Olympic games
which has nothing to with being greedy for medals.
Corp bureaucrats are in a race like athletes and politicians and it
is not uncommon for them to be able to get richer doing something else but they love the game they are in and even athletes cheat and do the dirty on their rivals in the heat of the moment.
This is why there is never going to be a real free market, because
corporate bureaucrats like politicians will be busy influencing
the conditions not sitting back and letting nature take its course.
One would have to naive to think that human nature wont
intervene and rig the rules. ( and noting happens without money)
The "behind closed doors" of the Writer DonQ posted is a
factor that will always be there. The naive will say conspiracy theories and go back to sleep. The other subject in passing was "when we choose leaders". There is not much difference
between having to choose between the two leaders of the two party system, neither of which were choosen by the public in the first place, than a choice between several Communists in the
Soviet example which werent choosen by the people either.
Politics isnt a free market either in terms of the public being free to choose who they want.

The middle class is being destroyed by the so-called freemarket
policies. Private property will in turn will come under the same pressure.

The Lion is a Lion regardless of what disposition he may appear to be in. That is why he is in charge. Anyone can prove it anytime they feel confident enough that they will go to heaven.
The foxes are red herrings and that is about the size of their meal- small fry. Foxes opperate under the gravity/cultural
undertow of the Lions game. Be satisfied the foxes are just geedy and the Lions game remains well hidden.
The Lions appetite can be tamed momentarily by a good meal.

Sword is always beaten by the spirit
Napoleon proved that the intangible Lion is bigger than the tangible one of which he assumed he had become.
Bush assuming the role of a tangible lion has removed a tangible lion in Hussein and the other thing that was/is in the way is the
Iraqi culture (intangible and a part of Islam) which is a greater task and proving very costly in lives and billions of dollars.
I wonder if anyone ever costed out the financial price of Napoleons "greed".

#1480 woj1@cyberonic.

woj1@cyberonic.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10667 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:25 AM

But you might be right after American

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru