MirrorMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:46 PM

Emigrate to Europe as soon as possible!

Robert B. Trombley, Ph.D.
Southwest Volcano Research Centre

Supervolcanoes are eruptions and explosions of catastrophic proportions. These types of eruptions are absolutely apocalyptic in scale. It is difficult to imagine an eruption this tremendous. The main factor governing the size of this type of eruption of the amount of magma available. If an enormous amount of magma has accumulated in the crust, then you have the potential for a very , very large eruption.

The exact geological conditions needed to create a vast magma chamber exist in only a very few places on earth, so there are only a few known supervolcanoes in the world. The last one to erupt was Toba 74,000 years ago [Rampino, Self, 2000). No modern human has ever witnessed a supervolcano eruption. Volcanologists are not even sure where all the supervolcanoes are but one that is known is Yellowstone National Park.

Yellowstone is America's first and most famous National Park. Every year over 3 million tourists visit this stunning wilderness, but beneath its hot springs and lush forests lies a monster of which most of the public is completely unaware [Smith, 1980].

Most people's idea of a volcano is a symmetrical cone and this involves magma coming up, reaching the surface, being extruded either as lava or as explosive eruptions with ash, and these layers of ash and lava gradually accumulate until you're left with a classic cone shape. We volcanologists know this smooth flowing magma contains huge quantities of volcanic gases, like carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide. Because this magma is so liquid these gases bubble to the surface, easily escaping. There are thousands of these normal volcanoes throughout the world. Around 50 erupt every year, but supervolcanoes are very different in almost every way.

First, they look different. Rather than being volcanic mountains, supervolcanoes form depressions in the ground. Despite never having seen a supervolcano erupt, by studying the surrounding rock scientists have been able to piece together how supervolcanoes are formed. Like normal volcanoes they begin when a column of magma rises from deep within the Earth. Under certain conditions, rather than breaking through the surface, the magma pools and melts the Earth's crust turning the rock itself into more thick magma.

Although it is not clearly understood why, but in the case of supervolcanoes a vast reservoir of molten rock eventually forms. The magma here is so thick and viscous that it traps the volcanic gases building up colossal pressures over thousands of years. When the magma chamber eventually does erupt its blast is hundreds of times more powerful than normal draining the underground reservoir. This causes the roof of this chamber to collapse forming an enormous crater. All supervolcano eruptions form these subsided craters. They are called calderas.

Such is the case with Yellowstone - it is the largest single active system yet discovered.

When Yellowstone goes off again, and it will, it will be a disaster for the United States and eventually, for the whole world. We volcanologists believe it would all begin with the magma chamber becoming unstable. Observations would begin by seeing bigger earthquakes, greater uplifting as magma intrudes and gets nearer and nearer the surface. An earthquake may send a rupture through a brittle layer similar to breaking the lid off a pressure cooker. This would generate sheets of magma, which will perhaps rise up to 30, 40 or 50 kilometers sending gigantic amounts of debris into the atmosphere. Pyroclastic flows would cover the whole region, killing tens of thousands of people in the surrounding area.

The ash carried in the atmosphere and deposited over vast areas of the United States would have devastating effects. A plume of material that goes up into the atmosphere, globally, from the eruption would produce the climatic effects. This would spread worldwide and have a cooling effect that would most likely destroy the growing season on a global scale.

As Dr. Ted Nield, of the Geological Society of London, stated once, 'When a supervolcano goes off, it is an order of magnitude greater than a normal eruption. It produces energy equivalent to an impact with a comet or an asteroid.' 'You can try diverting an asteroid, but there is nothing at all you can do about a supervolcano.'

The eruption will throw out cubic kilometers of rock, ash, dust, sulfur dioxide and so on into the upper atmosphere, where it will reflect incoming solar radiation, forcing down temperatures on the earth's surface. It would be the equivalent of a nuclear winter. The effects would last for four or five years with crops failing and the whole ecosystem breaking down.

#2 phoglund

phoglund

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:59 PM

I think I'll keep my place in the U.S. thanks, I believe the current prediction for the next eruption of this "supervolcano" is measured in millions of years.

As a side note I live less than 90 miles from Yellowstone. If it does blow I'll probably land in Europe!!

Heads UP!! :D

#3 SmallMind

SmallMind

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 10:04 PM

//As a side note I live less than 90 miles from Yellowstone. If it does blow I'll probably land in Europe!!//

Well on a side note you might consider dropping that giant rock you are riding on somewhere over the atlantic before landing in europe if it does blow.

#4 xexon

xexon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5013 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 10:04 PM

VOLCANO Jimmy Buffett, Keith Sykes & Harry Dailey
Now, I don't know, I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the volcano blow.
Let me say it now,
I don't know, I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the volcano blow.

Ground, she movin' under me.
Tidal waves out on the sea.
Sulphur smoke up in the sky.
Pretty soon we learn to fly

Chorus
Let me hear you, now
when the volcano blow.
Let me hear you now.
when the volcano blow.

My girl quickly say to me,
"Mon you better watch your feet."
Lava come down soft and hot.
"You better lava me now or lava me not.

Chorus

No time to count what I'm worth,
cause I just left the planet Earth.
Where I go I hope there's rhum.
Not to worry mon soon come.

Chorus

But I don't want to land in New York City,
I don't want to land in Mexico.
I don't want to land on no Three Mile Island;
I don't want to see my skin a-glow.

Don't want to land in Comanche Sky Park,
or in Nashville, Tennessee.
I don't want to land in no San Juan airport or
the Yukon Territory.

Don't want to land no San Diego.
Don't want to land in no Buzzards Bay.
I don't want to land on no Ayatolla.
I got nothin' more to say.

x

#5 xexon

xexon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5013 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:27 AM

Its a foregone conclusion that if America goes down, Israel won't be far behind.

They will be like a tourist in the Amazon, the pirahnas will rip them apart in no time.

x

#6 Allred

Allred

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:02 AM

I saw a good movie yesterday. Final Days, made in Kanada.

The sun is crashing on Toronto. Each person they does what he/she always have wanted. Why do we wait to the last minute to have sex?:P

#7 Orak the Grate

Orak the Grate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2748 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 04:45 AM

It's June lakes out by Mamoth Mt. California thats about to go ( in geological time).
Hey Kalihda, whats up with those survivalists who have their compond built in the flood plain of the Yellowstone river up by the north end of the park near Gardenier. Your not one of them are you.

#8 MirrorMan

MirrorMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:21 PM

Yellowstone erupts quite regularly approximately every 600,000 years. The last eruption was 620,000 years ago.

#9 AIRFORCE1

AIRFORCE1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:16 PM

I wouldn't live In Europe if my life depended on it!

Gandalf, you are a dickweed! The comments you made were plain stupid.

#10 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:26 PM

Atossa thinks God is angry with Bill Clinton and that is why he sent a tornado to Little Rock last night.

#11 Guest_Viking396_*

Guest_Viking396_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:45 PM

The sky is falling the sky is falling! :D

#12 AIRFORCE1

AIRFORCE1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 12:53 PM

Gandalf, once again you prove how much of a looser you really are. Thanks for showing your bad sides to everyone!

Gandalf=1 line posts that only spead insult and rage.

#13 Rickk

Rickk

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17843 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 03:53 PM

Watch it Airforce...if you respond to him directly he will go to the moderator to have you banned or the thread removed.

Gandalf-the Jealous who wishes he was American.

#14 phoglund

phoglund

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 10:06 PM

Mirrorman

There are different types of eruptions. The last one was indeed about as long ago as you state. The sort of cataclysm that would cause the destruction of the Entire U.S. is on a bit larger a cycle.

From the U.S.G.S. Cascade Volcano Observatory site:

" The current rates of seismicity, ground deformation, and hydrothermal activity at Yellowstone, although high by most geologic standards, are probably typical of long time periods between eruptions and therefore not a reason for immediate concern. Potentially damaging earthquakes are likely to continue occurring every few decades, as they have in the recent past. Eventually Yellowstone will erupt again, but there is no indication that an eruption is imminent or what kind of eruption may come next. For the foreseeable future, the same powerful forces that created Yellowstone will continue to animate this slumbering, but restless, volcanic giant."

Smallmind,

I will indeed shed any large rocks I'm traveling on if at all possible. Could you perhaps in turn provide a soft landing spot. I've wanted to visit Europe, just not as a smear on the landscape.

:P

#15 AIRFORCE1

AIRFORCE1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:28 AM

Rick, there are other forums you know, besides that would only show what a true coward he really is.

In the USA its called freedom of speech, if you dont like it ignore it.

#16 MirrorMan

MirrorMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:02 PM

[URL][/URL]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru