• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:25 PM

Close on the heels of the tragic Columbia accident, an astrologer in Kalpana Chawla's hometown Chandigarh said that the number '7' affected Kalpana's fortunes and gave the following as 'proof:'

The number of astronauts on board were seven.
The date of launch was the 16th which adds up to seven.
The total number of days of the mission was 16.
The explosion took place 16 minutes before touchdown.
The scheduled arrival time of Columbia (according to Indian Standard Time [GMT + 5.50]) was 7:45 pm.
The spaceship lasted contacted NASA at 7:27 pm (IST).
Columbia exploded at 9:43 am Texas time.
Kalpana had seven letters in her name and she was 43.
Her date of birth was Jan 7, 1961. (01/07/1961).

:o

#2 zxb

zxb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:46 PM

I must admit, I do not believe in Astrology.

#3 Odd

Odd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:57 PM

Hello Agnostic,

I'll try to dig up a French survey regarding people's beliefs in astrology etc.

They surprisingly found that ca 30% of French teachers believed
in the stuff.

I've sent you a personal message BTW.

#4 Adrian

Adrian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1895 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:26 PM

No, I don't believe either.
You could have taken any other number too, and found some links with that number also.

#5 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:40 AM

I had one of those elaborate astrology charts done on me some years back. The date, latitude/longitude, time of birth, and all that. It seems I was born 19 minutes into Pisces. Damn! If only I had been born 20 minutes earlier! I would have been an Aquarius! I could have been someone! I could have been a contender! I would have had a completley differant personality if it were'nt for those damn 20 minutes! Now I'm stuck with this shabby run-down astrology sign!

#6 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:04 AM

My phrenologist told me I wasn't the type to believe in astrology.

#7 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:37 PM

I dont believe in it myself. Its a nice way to pretend you are a lion or a scorpion or ram, but nothing more. Funny thing is I'm Scorpio according to the solar Western system and Virgo according to the lunar Indian system. I think that its crazy to think that far-off planets control your life.
Thanks Odd. Will look up.
Mission check your mailbox.

#8 Odd

Odd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:13 PM

The proposition according to which "the mere fact of being in a technologically advanced society induces a rapid elimination of irrational thinking" is dead. :rolleyes:

One remarkable feature (of this table) is that while 81 % of the French think that the progress of humanity is a result of the development of science, 58 % believe that astrology is... a science; meaning that the answers on the development of science have to be accepted with precaution.

Possible explanations...

#9 wali

wali

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7667 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:58 PM

i dont even believe in agnostisism.

#10 Sarj

Sarj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 02:36 AM

I think if one looks hard enough, coincidences can be found in almost anything, numerical relationships can be found in nearly anything also.:cool:

#11 Arvind

Arvind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5387 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Agnostic
I dont believe in it myself. Its a nice way to pretend you are a lion or a scorpion or ram, but nothing more. Funny thing is I'm Scorpio according to the solar Western system and Virgo according to the lunar Indian system. I think that its crazy to think that far-off planets control your life.
Thanks Odd. Will look up.
Mission check your mailbox.

i believe that the far away planets influence us. take two points in support of this.

1. we are under the gravity of not only earth but also every stars and planets in the solar system. so their movements can cause motions in our body. for example, if one wants to go east and the planetary systems are pulling west, he will have problems.

2. the next point is the question which will arise from 1 that then everyone must be influenced by the same pull of the planets. it is not so as the astrology takes both time of birth and location into consideration.

however, according to Hinduism, if one becomes devoted to Vishnu, whose one of the definitions is the universe, then the nine planets take a back seatb as they are overshadowed by the infinite stars and planets in the universe.

#12 Source

Source

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9046 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:37 AM

if astrology is practiced with care, wit, intelligence, and fun then it can be another useful tool to help people understand themselves better. there's no need for "belief", do you "believe" in a screwdriver or do you just use it?

regards,

sourcio - mindlessly attached to every libran trait on the go.

#13 Odd

Odd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:50 PM

Why use screwdriver without belief in its utility?

"... every libran trait on the go."

libran :confused:

#14 Source

Source

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9046 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:49 PM

sure we can believe in the utility of the screwdriver like we can believe in the utility of astrology, the point is they'll both work (or not) regardless of beliefs.

libran = i'm born under the sign of libra.

#15 Odd

Odd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:26 AM

source, OK. The workings of placebo comes to mind. Also how the effect of nocebo can be manifested as physical distress. Very interesting subject.

Libra, don't know much about signs, but libra is the origin of the pound symbols lb and ?. Also the Lira denomination.

;)

#16 babu

babu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:47 PM

All those born under other signs just WISH they could be Librans; they have been weighed in our balance and found wanting. What would the world do without us?

babu--

#17 Guest_LIBDETH_*

Guest_LIBDETH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:07 PM

Of course I believe; My talking, algebra doing dog does too!

#18 platykitten

platykitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:59 AM

G'day Agnostic. I'm a Scorpio in Western Astrology; Year of the Dog in Chinese Astrology. It would be interesting to see where I fit in Hindu Astrology. I wonder if the various character traits agree with each other in principle.

If anyone can give me a bit of an explanation as to why this year is turning out even worse than last year, this is also happening on a personal level, I would appreciate it. I would appreciate it even more if you could give me a spell/token/charm to turn it around <g>.

Something I would like to mention. Has anyone here experienced more aggression in people in their every day dealings? An incident which happened to me whilst out with several friends has started me thinking how global events can influence our way of thinking and acting. Bush et al are refusing to use any other means than invasion to deal with international incidents. That is, invading Afghanistan and beating the drums of war over Iraq. Does anyone else think that this attitude filters down into attitudes we encounter in our own small world?

Anyway, nice to chat with you all again.

#19 Source

Source

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9046 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 05:47 PM

g'day platy!

"Has anyone here experienced more aggression in people in their every day dealings?"

i dunno, i've usually killed 'em before they do or say anything. it's a terrifying world now and i'm beginning to see the usefulness of pre-emptive behaviour.

"An incident which happened to me whilst out with several friends has started me thinking how global events can influence our way of thinking and acting. Bush et al are refusing to use any other means than invasion to deal with international incidents. That is, invading Afghanistan and beating the drums of war over Iraq. Does anyone else think that this attitude filters down into attitudes we encounter in our own small world?"

absolutely. there's no doubt in my mind that we're all influenced by everyone else. i'm not so sure i'd single out bush as perpetrator of anything like that, rather he seems more a gormless follower :P

#20 platykitten

platykitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 11:28 PM

gormless follower!! What a wonderful phrase to describe him. Yes, he does seem to believe his own press releases! Much like our own Little Johnny Howard.

Speaking of Little Johnny he was described on TV last night firstly, as heading off for more talks to avert war. . Secondly, as discussing war. What a busy little bee he is. His wife must be happy because he is probably in a permanent state of excitement at being allowed to kiss the hem of Dubya!!! ummmm! hem isn't a euphemism! <g>

Geeze, he's even gone so far as to say that if HIS sons ever went to war he wouldn't want them treated any different to anyone else's sons! What an egalitarian!!! However, he further added that HIS sons would NOT be involved in Iraq!! After all, this is a war for professionals!!! What a tactician!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 Pravda.Ru