131 replies to this topic

#121 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

The whole 'internal' structure of these motors is, for the most part, identical to a stepper-motor. Heck, I could have anyone of these motors screaming like a bitch on crack (did I really say that?) or lock-up so tight that you'd break the stator mount before ever moving the rotor even one degree. If you want, you could index (at high speed) and brake into position with a few lines of programming.

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 19 May 2018 - 09:51 PM.

#122 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

Imagine that if it turns out a match. These cheap motors and alternators could turn any car into a batteryless electric for $150...

Edited by RobertD, 19 May 2018 - 11:29 PM.

#123 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

Imagine that if it turns out a match. These cheap motors and alternators could turn any car into a batteryless electric for $150...

You might want to consider ridding the stator of its plastic mount, if that is, you try that idea... course with torque converters and the like, you probably won't have too much trouble. If there were three such motors coupled together... wonders off into dreamland.

#124 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:05 AM

Lots of torque...
That's fer sure.

Figure Teslas have four of them, one per wheel, 0 to 100 in 3s.

Edited by RobertD, 20 May 2018 - 04:07 AM.

#125 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

I had an idea for a 'differential' motor... these type of motors might be perfect for that application... it won't look like the same beast when I'm finished with though. More things to explore

I bring up the idea of differentials because that's a challenge in programming to keep four drive motors from destroying each other in tight turns.

Someone out there has solved that problem, because I've seen it done. It's a matter of backing off the current on the inside motors during a tight turn... otherwise it'd be like running on two straight axles in four-wheel-drive, if it isn't programmed correctly.

The best torque rating so far is 210 ft lbs, times four is 840 ft lbs. That's no small change, I'm just sayin'.

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 20 May 2018 - 04:53 AM.

#126 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

I'll start with a small standard car. 180 ft/lb of torque should be plenty.
Direct plug in the tranny.
Add some batteries for weight and extra power. Also for illusion of need to plug-in if anyone gets too nosy.

Edited by RobertD, 20 May 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#127 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Found a machine shop on my way to work, if I can get the shaft welded and turned there for less than $100, I'll do that. If not I'll have to do it myself. That's my next step, put this motor together.

Edited by RobertD, 20 May 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#128 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

#129 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

#130 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

Found a machine shop on my way to work, if I can get the shaft welded and turned there for less than $100, I'll do that. If not I'll have to do it myself. That's my next step, put this motor together.

There's much that can be done with just a drill press, providing that the chuck is large enough.

It's not exactly the easiest way to go, but it is possible to drill a pocket hole into each piece that needs to be joined. A tight fitting pin is inserted into these holes which will align the two halves for welding. Be sure to chamfer the ends to be joined for better weld penetration and also, it will keep the weld from protruding too much beyond the surface of the shaft... then it's just a matter of using a hand-held grinder to smooth-out the weld, which is done while the shaft is spinning on the drill press.

You'll need to fashion some sort of jig for the grinder and fit it to the column of the drill press, which will give you greater precision when grinding the weld.

There's much that can be done with a cheap drill press that will mimic lathe work.

I suspect, that if Canadian machinists are like their American counterpart, once you tell the story of your experimentation, they'll give you a break and will do the work for 40 to 50 dollars. That's one thing about dumpster diving... you can't dumpster-dive for a machinist.

#131 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Been thinking of getting myself a decent drill press, can be used as a lathe or a milling machine with a x/y bed.

#132 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Been thinking of getting myself a decent drill press, can be used as a lathe or a milling machine with a x/y bed.

I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway, you're sure to find a video or two about using drill presses in that manner on youtube.

I once had me a nice little machine shop, mill, lathe, drill presses. sheet metal brake/shear, buffers/grinders, so forth and so on.

Good ol' America... work your butt off to get what you want/need and someone is sure to steal it... yep.

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 21 May 2018 - 01:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Pravda.Ru