Theme© by Fisana

Photo

I hope this isn't considered commerecial...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

I'm tired of being broke... my siblings and I inherited the following gold watch when my mom died.

There is a story that goes with it: It's a watch that Napoleon Bonaparte gave to Josephine as a love gift. There's suppose to be a letter that accompanied the watch that was donated to a museum somewhere.

This first picture is a collage of every shot I could think of.  

goldwatch1.png

This second picture shows a stamping that, to date, no one has been able to identify.  A rare watch with a with a love story behind it as well?

goldwatch2.png

Bottom line is: we'd like to sell this watch to ease the stagnation of not having enough money.

Any takers out there?

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 09 June 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#2 Promitheas

Promitheas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

I'm tired of being broke... my siblings and I inherited the following gold watch when my mom died.

There is a story that goes with it: It's a watch that Napoleon Bonaparte gave to Josephine as a love gift. There's suppose to be a letter that accompanied the watch that was donated to a museum somewhere.

This first picture is a collage of every shot I could think of.  

attachicon.gifgoldwatch1.png

This second picture shows a stamping that, to date, no one has been able to identify.  A rare watch with a with a love story behind it as well?

attachicon.gifgoldwatch2.png

Bottom line is: we'd like to sell this watch to ease the stagnation of not having enough money.

Any takers out there?

The best market for this type of jewelry as it what it is and also an antic from the looks of it is Switzerland. Is the only place where you will not be short changed trying to sell it. If you get better photos of it and better resolution so details can be seen I can have it appraise for you within my contacts and tell you what you can sell it and where. You can send the photos to promitheasapollonious@gmail.com

#3 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

The best market for this type of jewelry as it what it is and also an antic from the looks of it is Switzerland. Is the only place where you will not be short changed trying to sell it. If you get better photos of it and better resolution so details can be seen I can have it appraise for you within my contacts and tell you what you can sell it and where. You can send the photos to promitheasapollonious@gmail.com

I need to fined me a better camera . All the marking on the clockworks are written in French. The Clock-maker is Le Pine. The case, as far as anyone can tell was made in England. It appears to be made out of five tones of gold, two-tone yellow, rose, green and white. Aside from the 'eagle stamp' there are other markings: a crown with 18 below it and the number 224. The seemingly blank piece is a dust cover that falls between the outer case and the clockworks. The face of the watch opens so that one can read the time in complete darkness... it's called a '"tactile watch".

Originally, there was a gold chain and winding key, where the chain was sold during the Great Depression and the key just came up missing.

I don't have the watch in my possession and so I don't recall the exact wording but I do remember the translation suggested a 4-jewel movement and something about cylinders.

I'll see what I can do to get that watch into my possession to take the requested pictures and to accurately convey all the wordings/markings.

Thanks.

#4 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Is that Christy's Auction in Geneva Switzerland?

#5 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

:bump:

#6 RobertD

RobertD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20835 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Take a picture of the French writings I can translate it for you.

#7 Kingranch

Kingranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

Vanka,

Whatever you decide to do with the watch...do not "clean" or try to "restore" it in anyway or form!!! A quick search turned up this webpage "www.mikrolisk.de" as one of the best people to ask a Q about an old watch...or so internet people say? He has a ton of proof-marks on his website you can look thru and maybe you'll get lucky and find yours?

Or you can email him with some pics and maybe he'll reply to you.

#8 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Take a picture of the French writings I can translate it for you.

I don't have the watch in my possession at the moment, so I can't give you the exact wording nor spelling, but as I recall it read something like this:

ENCHAPPEMENT AU JOYAUX QUATTRA CYLINDRE

This pic is a blow up of the dust cover, but it's still hard to read... maybe you can make out what it says, including the correct spelling, with it.

WATCH DUST COVER.png

#9 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

Vanka,

Whatever you decide to do with the watch...do not "clean" or try to "restore" it in anyway or form!!! A quick search turned up this webpage "www.mikrolisk.de" as one of the best people to ask a Q about an old watch...or so internet people say? He has a ton of proof-marks on his website you can look thru and maybe you'll get lucky and find yours?

Or you can email him with some pics and maybe he'll reply to you.

Definitely no cleaning and no restoring... I treat old stuff like that, like I do old coins... cleaning and restoring is a never-ever thing to do, because it loses it's character and so too, its history.

It is said that Napoleon was madly in love with Josephine, however Josephine did not feel the same way about Napoleon. I can attest to the fact that this watch has a curse placed upon it by Josephine herself... it's as if she wants that watch destroyed:

Of course there was a time when the watch was in perfect working order... but

1) The watch's gold-chain was sold during the Great Depression.

2) The first thing that happened was that the winding key went missing.

3) The mainspring is broken, When? Don't have a clue.

4) The dust cover worked loose from its tiny rivets,

5) The second-hand disappeared, when? Don't know.

6) The letter that accompanied the watch is extremely difficult to locate. (web searches)

Everyone is reluctant to handle it and of course I'm just kidding about the curse thing, but it does seem like Josephine's Spirit possesses whomever is holding the watch, and no matter how careful one is...

Needless to say, the watch is in safe storage, locked away tight, and I do, but I don't want the watch in my possession.

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 12 June 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#10 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

This is the best I can do for now, but these blow ups aren't much better at showing any details, like I was hoping they would.

watch trio.png

#11 Kingranch

Kingranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

Well? At least you can get some parts for it if need be?

https://www.ebay.com...icAAOSwTEJZ6qH5

#12 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:35 PM

Well? At least you can get some parts for it if need be?

https://www.ebay.com...icAAOSwTEJZ6qH5

The clockworks on the right are real close to the works on the left.... with some notable differences.

watch duo.png

#13 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:52 PM

Don't know exactly what the difference is but the watch in question is called a "pendant watch"--as apposed to a "pocket watch".

Tactile pocket watches

Tactile pendant watches

#14 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

I'm working toward getting that watch in to my possession, but for now, here's some comparisons of what's been present here and what I can remember:

The link showing Lepine movements shows a lot number: 774 and a size of 43 mm.

This watch shows lot number 224 and as I recall, it size is 47 mm.

774 - 224 = 550 and so, there are 550 lots of movements between the two.

What we were able to gather regards this Lepine movement is that it is among the first of its kind with its jewel movements and cantilever arrangement... as opposed to a 'bridge' arrangement, regards the removable sections that comprise the jewels/cylinder with which the free movement of the watches gears and so on can operate freely.

#15 Vanka Savolov

Vanka Savolov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

I've searched that horological trade mark site and could only find what shows in the following screen-shot. Out of 57,859 entries, it looks like this pendant watch is as rare as they come... the eagle marking is still unidentified.

eagle stamp no show.png

Edited by Vanka Savolov, 13 June 2018 - 02:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Pravda.Ru