By JANKO ROETTGERS Janko Roettgers
Janko Roettgers
Senior Silicon Valley Correspondent
@jank0
Janko's Most Recent Stories
Facebook Bans Proud Boys, Vice Co-Founder Gavin McInnes
Spotify Gives Away Free Google Home Mini Speakers to Family Plan Subscribers
Facebook Emphasizes Shift to Stories 

Facebook and Instagram have banned a number of accounts associated with the far-right Proud Boys group as well as its founder Gavin McInnes, who previously co-founded Vice.

Accounts associated with the Proud Boys started to disappear from the site Tuesday. The take-down also impacted a number of groups and pages associated with the group, including many pages for regional chapters of the group across the U.S. and beyond.

Facebook confirmed the take-down in a statement sent to Business Insider, which was first to report about it. “Our team continues to study trends in organized hate and hate speech and works with partners to better understand hate organizations as they evolve,” the company said. “We will continue to review content, Pages, and people that violate our policies, take action against hate speech and hate organizations to help keep our community safe.”

The ban of the group comes after some of its members allegedly violently attacked counter-protesters following an event in New York last month. A handful of members of 

#102 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

October 31, 2018

Greens candidate quits over Facebook posts
4:53am Nov 1, 2018
Greens candidate Joanna Nilson has reportedly pulled out of the Victorian election after the discovery of damaging Facebook posts from 2015.

Upper house hopeful Ms Nilson boasted about stealing groceries, called Liberal MP Michaelia Cash a "disgusting smug parrot" and referred to stinking of "the weed in my bag" in a series of posts to a Facebook group called the Bad Gals Club, the Herald Sun reports.

"I regret making these comments, and while they were made several years ago, in jest online, and are in no way reflective of my beliefs or actions, I don't want them to be a distraction," Ms Nilson said on Wednesday night, according to the newspaper.

The Greens had preselected Ms Nilson behind party leader Samantha Ratnam on its ticket for the Northern Metropolitan Region.

© AAP 2018

#103 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

homeless after an explicit Facebook rant

November 1, 2018 

School caretaker is sacked and left homeless after an explicit Facebook rant

Brian Barker, 55, was forced to move out of his home, owned by Hymers College in Hull, where he had lived rent-free for 18 years

Brian Barker admits he made an error of judgement (Image: HullLive)

A college caretaker who was sacked over a Facebook rant calling management "heartless, uncaring t***s" feels he shouldn't have lost his job.

Brian Barker admits he made a mistake when he went on a tirade against bosses after "a couple of whiskies".

The 55-year-old, who had worked in maintenance at Hymers College in Hull for 28 years, deleted the post within a day but the school became aware of it and sacked him for gross misconduct in July this year.

Mr Barker was forced to move out of the rent-free house within school grounds he had been living in for 18 years, he told Hull Live.

A Hymers College spokesman said the Facebook post was "highly abusive" and it was a "totally unacceptable act" by a staff member.

Mr Barker said he wrote the post criticising college management following discussions over the restructuring of the maintenance department and the resignation of a close colleague.

He said he lost his home on school grounds and had to give up a car he had bought the year before because he could not afford the monthly payments on it.

Mr Barker thinks the college should have given him a second chance (Image: HullLive)

The west Hull man said: "I got the house with the job but I lost the house and they left me with nothing. I wasn't allowed to say goodbye and they didn't want me anywhere near the place after 28 years.

"Last year I bought a brand new car which I have never done before but I had to get rid of it and I lost about £10,000 on it.

"My wife and I are still having to rent because we are not in a position to buy at the moment because we can't get a mortgage as I've got no income.

"It has significantly affected us and my greatest irritation is how it ended. I had a plan after leaving the school which I was partially on the way to doing but that has all gone by the wayside."

Mr Barker, whose children grew up in the three-bedroom lodge he was allowed to live in rent-free, said he was unhappy about the school's plans to alter his patterns and line of work.

He said he raised concerns about how the team would operate under the new regime and was concerned about alleged plans that would require him to take holidays during the half-term breaks and the summer holidays.

Mr Barker said: "We had always been allowed to have holidays during term time which makes sense because we are maintenance.

"To do maintenance work when the school is full of pupils and teachers is hard and the best time to do it is when they are not there."

Mr Barker had worked at Hymers College in Hull for 28 years (Image: HullLive)

His frustrations came to a head in May 2018 after the resignation of a colleague. He also claims the school were trying to "force him out" and that the changes being proposed were contributing to his stress.

He went on Facebook and called the management team "heartless, uncaring t***s" in what he admits was an error of judgement after "a couple of whiskies."

However, he feels the school should have recognised the circumstances he was under and should not have fired him after so many years for one error of judgement.

He said: "I am very strong and principled in general and if I think something is out of order I have to speak out. Even after 28 years I felt the school could have recognised there were extenuating circumstances but instead they just finished me."

Mr Barker said he did a lot of unpaid overtime during his time at the school and went the extra mile during the 2007 floods by staying overnight to ensure the pumps in the swimming pool didn't go underwater.

He appealed to the school's governors about his dismissal but the decision was upheld and Mr Barker said he was disappointed not to be given extra time to find a home after being given the boot.

The school asked him to vacate the property by August 24 as it felt it was not appropriate for him to continue living there at the start of a new school year.

Mr Barker, who has since set up his own maintenance business, said: "I wanted to stay until the end of September so I could get myself sorted but they wouldn't allow that so I had to move into rented accommodation because it was just too short notice to find anything. It was hard because I wanted to stay there until I retired and I thought that was going to be the plan."

The school said informal discussions about working arrangements for Mr Barker and other members of the maintenance team were initiated in September 2017 after Mr Barker raised a number of points about how the team operated.

These discussions became more formal in January 2018 and Hymers College says it was committed to agreeing working arrangements with the maintenance team that allowed a good work-life balance for staff.

The school says staff were never placed under undue pressure and that Mr Barker's Facebook post happened when discussions about working patterns and restructuring were still ongoing.

A spokesman for Hymers College said: "Brian Barker's dismissal for gross misconduct was due entirely to his highly abusive social media post.

"It had nothing at all to do with the continuing discussions with him and his colleagues in the maintenance team about their working arrangements.

"The Facebook post was clearly a totally unacceptable act by a member of staff. It was seen by both present and former members of staff and other members of the Hymers College community, so it was not a private act.

"At all times we have been committed to agreeing new working arrangements acceptable to Hymers College and the members of maintenance team.

"If Brian had not posted the regrettable social media message we're sure he would still be employed by the school."

#104 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:41 PM

facebookcensorship-e1539717011866.png

Facebook Vows Even MORE Censorship Ahead Of Midterm Elections
Mac Slavo
November 1st, 2018
SHTFplan.com
Comments (6)
Read by 305 people

Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of social media giant Facebook has promised to enact even more censorship ahead of the upcoming midterm elections. Under the rouse of cracking down on “hate speech,” Facebook will take censorship to a whole new level.

Using “misinformation” and “hate speech” as a reason to block others from saying things the political elitists and social media giants dislike, Facebook will take a front role in censorship. The Hollywood Reporter stated in a recent article that Facebook will make its biggest increase in money spent to combat “hate speech” and “misinformation” on its platform this year, according to CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg stated that despite Facebook’s increased expenditure, the company still won’t be as “dialed in as well as everyone would like us to be,” in relation to security and influence campaigns on the platform.

But Facebook itself is one of the biggest election influencers out there, making sure 

#105 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:51 PM

Current And Former Chicago Police Officers Spew Racist Hate In Facebook Group
Posts on the page, which features scores of current and former Chicago police officers, have gone far beyond boosterism. Some posts encourage police to abuse suspects.

When Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke was convicted of murder last month for shooting the black teenager Laquan McDonald 16 times and then falsely claiming the boy had attacked him, many civil rights advocates hailed it as a small step toward police accountability in the fractured city.

The reaction on a notable Facebook page in support of Chicago police officers was quite different: “Very sad...give the keys to the city to the thugs,” said one person.

Chicago Code Blue, where scores of current and former Chicago police officers are followers and occasional commenters, was created two years ago to defend the police force from criticism over McDonald’s shooting. But posts on the page, which has more than 53,000 followers, quickly went far beyond boosterism. Many comments spew racist hate and encourage police to ab

#106 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

Facebook Sells Your Personal Information
By wmw_admin on November 1, 2018

henrymakow.com — Nov 1, 2018

They provide a service. How do they monetize it?

By selling your personal information to anyone who wants to manipulate you.

There is a stunning scene in the PBS Frontline documentary broadcast Tuesday and Wednesday where a lawyer demands to see his personal information stored by Facebook. He is given thousands of pages covering everything he has ever posted. Facebook has 2.25 billion users worldwide.

zuckerberg cartoonThey provide a service. How do they monetize it? By selling your personal data to anyone who wants to manipulate you into buying a product or demonstrating or voting for a candidate. It makes $20 billion a year and has a market cap of $440 billion.

We tend to see Facebook in ter

#107 Hellboy

Hellboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10032 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:36 PM

who wants to manipulate you into buying a product or demonstrating or voting for a candidate

When the time comes to depopulate the herd of simpleton gentiles, Facebook will tell all the simpletons

to get flu shots and then they will all die.

So who cares if they manipulate me to buy some crap.

#108 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

Facebook’s vaunted transparency tool spectacularly fails to catch fake ads by ‘US Senators & ISIS’
Published time: 1 Nov, 2018 04:53

Facebook’s new political transparency disclosure tool failed to catch 100% of the fake ads submitted by journalists – even recycled “Russian troll” posts from 2016. Fake candidates, Cambridge Analytica and even ISIS were accepted.
A week after revealing it had fooled Facebook into giving it approval to run ads in the name of Vice President Mike Pence, DNC chairman Tom Perez, and even the Islamic State terrorist group, Vice attempted the ruse a second time – and found it was just as easy to pose as all 100 US senators using the same approach.

Read more

#109 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:04 AM

"I Will Leave This Body With A Full Heart": People Are Mourning This Dad After His Final Facebook Post
Ian Davis passed away on Thursday after seven years with the disease.

Posted on November 2, 2018, at 5:41 a.m.

Today I say farewell. Thank you everyone for all the support, love, and compassion over the years during my fight. It has been some ride. I will leave this broken body with a full heart. Please tell my boy i love him and I'm so proud to be his dad. This photo taken yesterday is our final moment together. 
You can help continue my fight by making a donation in my honour to my foundation at www.fightmnd.org.au
You can also do me the favour of writing to tell my boy about me to his email address 

#110 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:23 AM

Taiwan President promises government will not interfere with Facebook posts
Taiwan should never return to the Martial Law era: Tsai
By Matthew Strong,Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2018/11/02 14:25

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) - The government will never interfere with private Facebook posts because Taiwan should not go back to the Martial Law era, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) promised Friday.

Her comments followed allegations, also rejected by the National Security Bureau, that the intelligence agency was keeping a close watch on what citizens were posting on Facebook. On Thursday, the Cabinet said it was stepping up its efforts against fake news influencing campaigns for the Nov. 24 local elections.

Tsai reacted on Facebook by posting her own comments on the controversy. “Democratic Taiwan cannot and will not be allowed to return to the party-state Martial Law era, and m

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Pravda.Ru