• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

The major problem with the Russian case is that it arose AFTER the arrest of the Russian spy in America, which makes the whole Russian side smell like a phony setup and an amateur one at that.    Possibly the FSB officials have been watching too many American movies.   It's an old plot.

#22 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

Next time, arrest a REAL spy, get real evidence, and then someone on this side might believe it.

#23 wirehaired

wirehaired

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14668 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

Next time, arrest a REAL spy, get real evidence, and then someone on this side might believe it.

Just seen a report the FBI have arrested a Russian man in the Mariana Islands,looks like they want to continue with this game,Russia should arrest some more US citizens in Russia,maybe the Washington clowns will come to their senses,but I wouldn't bank on it.

#24 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:17 AM

American charged with spying by Russia 'cultivated' contacts in Moscow for years, is a citizen of at least THREE other countries and is 'most likely' being held as leverage to secure the return of Maria Butina, espionage experts claim

More details have emerged about the curious background of Paul Whelan, 48

US citizen Whelan was arrested December 28 in Moscow on espionage charge

He also has passports for the UK, Ireland and Canada, where he was born

Friend says he had competition with sister to see who could get most passports

Was dishonorably discharged from the Marines and exaggerated cop credentials

Bragged of police experience but worked as crossing guard for Michigan village

Made friends with Russians with military connections on social media site VK

Experts say there is 'no way' the CIA would use someone like Whelan as an asset

Speculate he is being held as leverage for the return of Russian Maria Butina

Butina became gadfly in US, cultivating contacts with Republicans and NRA

https://www.dailymai...ed-contacts-Mos

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If above reports are true, this guy is no spy, he is a moron.  

A wannabe spy who never made it.

CIA wouldn't trust that guy to do anything.  

No agency could be certain of anything he said or whether he was making it all up.

#25 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:23 AM

It doesn't look like a fair trade for Butina - she's pled guilty to being the real thing, but our US guy is a fake.

Who knows?   Maybe CIA sent a fake spy to Russia to facilitate a trade?

Or maybe this moron-spy was trying to get a better job within the US intel community?

Amateurs should not pretend to be spies in foreign countries.   They could get killed that way.

Edited by Zharkov, 06 January 2019 - 02:53 PM.

#26 wirehaired

wirehaired

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14668 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

It doesn't look like a fair trade for Butina - she's the real thing, but our US guy is a fake.

Who knows?   Maybe CIA sent a fake spy to Russia to facilitate a trade?

Or maybe this moron-spy was trying to get a better job within the US intel community?

Amateurs should not pretend to be spies in foreign countries.   They could get killed that way.

Butina isn't a spy she is or was a lobyist,as far as I know there are thousands in the US,but she is Russian so was a target.

#27 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Butina pled guilty to spying according to news reports, but that doesn't prove she's guilty, it may prove she ran out of money to pay her lawyers.

Prosecutors looking at what she did, not what she may have wanted to do, would not be able to prove "a crime".    Butina didn't do much of anything.

It's a media-created anti-Russia hysteria operating in the legal system.   I think a trial would show she violated no US law except possibly failing to register as a foreign lobbyist, which normally brings a fine, not a prison sentence.

Too bad she didn't go to trial with a decent jury to evaluate whatever she did.   Wanting to influence officials is not a crime unless it involves bribery.

I look at it this way - EVERYONE REPLYING ON TWITTER TO SOME OFFICIAL'S TWEET IS TRYING TO INFLUENCE THEM!

Replying on Twitter is no crime.   Butina could have won at trial, I think.

Edited by Zharkov, 06 January 2019 - 03:00 PM.

#28 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

I'd advise every Russian, Iranian, or any other citizen coming to the US to register as foreign agents if they intend to talk to any federal official, or they face the same fate Butina has.    Registering is far less expensive than hiring lawyers later on, after one is caught.

#29 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

With the internet and social media, old-fashioned spying has almost become a waste of time.

Anyone on social media can be "influenced" by enough replies, so why bother coming to America?

Just Tweet them into submission.   It's free.

#30 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:59 AM

MOSCOW, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Paul Whelan, the former U.S. Marine held in Moscow on spying charges, had online contact with more than 20 Russians with military backgrounds, an analysis of social media shows.

Russian men with military education or a history of military service make up nearly half of Whelan's more than 50 friends on VK, a popular Russian social network that resembles Facebook, the analysis by Reuters shows.

At least 12 of his friends received military education in Russia, according to open source information, and at least another 11 appear to have completed national service.

In addition, about a fifth of those on Whelan's list have backgrounds in IT, engineering or civil aviation, a quarter are not connected to the military or technical sectors, and there is no information about the rest.

Whelan's family says he is innocent and was in Moscow for a wedding when he was arrested last month. The "Free Paul Whelan" Twitter page managed by the family has used the hashtag #JustATourist in one of its posts.

Russian authorities have not given details of his alleged spying, and the FSB security service did not respond immediately to questions on whether Whelan's online activity was linked to his detention.

Analysis of Whelan's online activity - including exchanges with Russian friends and content on their own accounts - provides a fuller picture of his contacts than has so far been revealed.

Reuters contacted 38 people on Whelan's VK friend list, almost all men in their 20s.

Whelan, 48, contacted them years ago through pen-pal websites or VK, corresponding occasionally online over the years, five of his contacts told Reuters.

Whelan's military contacts in Russia are low-level, come from various regions and have served in the army, airborne forces and navy, according to information and pictures posted online.

In Russia, men aged between 18 and 27 are conscripted into the military for a year. Enrolment at military academies, which is not mandatory, can lead to a career in the services.

Asked if he was aware of Whelan's Russian military contacts online, his brother David said: "I didn't know he had a VK account before last week. But I'm not surprised that he had friends on social media, both Facebook and VK, that had military backgrounds just as he had a military background."

Whelan's lawyer, Vladimir Zherebenkov, was not available for comment.

The arrest of Whelan, who also holds British citizenship, further strains relations between Moscow and Washington, which have soured over Russia's 2014 annexation of Crimea, economic sanctions and accusations of election meddling.

ONLINE ACTIVITY

The "Free Paul Whelan" Twitter page shows postcards Whelan sent to his sister from Russia in 2015 and 2018.

Whelan first posted on his VK page in November 2010 and has since published congratulations on Russian public holidays, military celebrations and other events.

In February 2015, he posted: "In Moscow ..." along with a Russian mobile phone number. Calls to it this week went unanswered.

One of Whelan's friends lists his employer as the Russian Defence Ministry and writes that he studied at the Ryazan Higher Airborne Command School, a military academy.

A picture posted in 2012 shows the friend in a Russian serviceman's striped vest under a green camouflage jacket.

Another 26-year-old Russian posted pictures of himself and classmates at the Naval Cadet Corps, which trains naval officers in St Petersburg.

A man apparently in his 20s posted pictures of himself in a paratrooper's blue beret and army fatigues bearing the inscription: "Nizhegorodsky Cadet Corps".

Vadim Izotov said he first interacted with Whelan in 2008 while at the defence ministry's Military University. He was surprised Whelan had been charged with espionage.

"I understood he had a positive attitude towards Russia, towards our culture. That's why he travelled here," he said.

"He communicated with Russian military here because he himself had been a serviceman."

Lenar Azmukhanov, a 30-year-old from Kazan who attended the Ulyanovsk Higher Military Technical College, said he and Whelan congratulated each other on holidays but their interaction did not go beyond that.

Another friend of Whelan's, who did not want to be named, said he first had contact with him in 2005 or 2006 on a pen-pal website. They met once in person in 2008.

"As far as I know his trips to Russia were for tourism," he said. "He had friends in the military, but I, for example, am not one of them."

http://news.trust.or...110150852-r060m

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More possibilities:

The alleged American "spy" could be completely innocent and, having gathered nothing of interest to any government, provided Russia with an opportunity for state revenge for the Butina arrest.

It's one thing to talk to ex-military and current military officers in Russia for friendship, but quite another to attempt to obtain secrets from them, even if they have none.   That's the point of asking what actually did he do?   If it was a list of his friends on USB drive, it's no big deal, but of course what Ms. Butina did was also no big deal.   It seems obvious enough that neither of those alleged "spies" did anything harmful or seriously wrong and neither should have been arrested.   

Butina's confession of being "a spy" might be valid in Russia, but never in America because courts in the US require some serious corroboration for a confession to be the basis of a conviction.   Contact with a Russian intelligence agent might be enough to support a confession, if she was aware of the agent's official position.

So who was the US intelligence agency handler for our alleged American "spy"?    
If he didn't have one, he's not a spy.
If he is not working for any US intel agency, he's not a spy.

#31 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:21 AM

#32 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34916 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:32 AM

[Verse 1]
Blame it all on my roots
I showed up in boots
And ruined your black tie affair

The last one to know
The last one to show
I was the last one
You thought you'd see there

And I saw the surprise
And the fear in his eyes
When I took his glass of champagne
And I toasted you

Said, honey, we may be through
But you'll never hear me complain

[Chorus]
'Cause I've got friends in low places
Where the whiskey drowns
And the beer chases my blues away

And I'll be okay
I'm not big on social graces
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis
Oh, I've got friends in low places

[Verse 2]
Well, I guess I was wrong
I just don't belong
But then, I've been there before

Everything's all right
I'll just say goodnight
And I'll show myself to the door

Hey, I didn't mean
To cause a big scene
Just give me an hour and then

Well, I'll be as high
As that ivory tower
That you're livin' in

[Chorus]
'Cause I've got friends in low places
Where the whiskey drowns
And the beer chases my blues away
And I'll be okay

I'm not big on social graces
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis
Oh, I've got friends in low places

Edited by Zharkov, 12 January 2019 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2019 Pravda.Ru