• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35753 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

MOSCOW, May 24 (Reuters) - A former U.S. Marine held in Moscow on suspicion of spying said on Friday he had been threatened by a Russian investigator and harassed in custody, accusations that added to strains in U.S.-Russian relations.

Paul Whelan, who holds U.S., British, Canadian and Irish passports, was detained in a Moscow hotel room on Dec. 28 and accused of espionage, a charge he denies. If found guilty, he faces up to 20 years in jail.

Whelan, whose pre-detention was extended until the end of August at a hearing on Friday in Moscow, told reporters he believed the case against him was politically motivated revenge for U.S. sanctions imposed on Russia.

"I have been threatened. My personal safety has been threatened," he said from inside a cage in the courtroom. "There are abuses and harassment that I am constantly subjected to."

Whelan said he not been allowed to shower in two weeks nor granted medical and dental treatment. He said he had not received books or correspondence in two months.

"This is typical prisoner-of-war chapter one isolation technique," he said. "They are trying to run me down so that I talk to them."

Outside the courtroom, U.S. diplomat Michael Yoder told reporters that Whelan's comments were "of grave concern to us."

"I guarantee you we will protest this fact with the Russian government and we will request the opportunity to speak frankly with him about these threats," he said.

Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) detained Whelan after an acquaintance handed him a flash drive containing classified information. Whelan's lawyer says his client thinks he was set up by the acquaintance and the FSB.

Whelan thought the flash drive contained holiday photos, the lawyer has said.

Whelan's brother, David Whelan, said his sibling had been falsely accused, wrongfully detained, and will "continue to be mistreated unless one of the governments of the nations of which he is a citizen intervene on his behalf."

"Paul's defence team has been clear in their communications to us that Paul is being held, and coerced, in order to gain a confession," David Whelan told Reuters in an email.

During Friday's hearing, Whelan asked the court to have FSB investigator Alexei Khizhnyak taken off the case and accused him of "insulting my dignity and threatening my life," the Interfax news agency reported.

The judge told Whelan he only had the right under Russian law to request the replacement of court or prosecuting officials, but not an investigator.

"I understand that but what am I supposed to do if my rights are being violated?" Whelan was quoted as saying.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rule #1 - Never visit Russia while carrying 4 different passports.   Russians are predisposed to be suspicious of Western tourists.

Rule #2 - If you are really a spy, never get caught.

Rule #3 - If you are a spy and are caught, admit it immediately and get traded for another spy. 

Rule #4 - If you are not a spy, NEVER, EVER, pretend to be one and never confess to anything you didn't do.

Edited by Zharkov, 25 May 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#2 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35753 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

Next week:   RULES FOR CHINESE SPIES IN AMERICA

#3 shaktiman

shaktiman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12012 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Rule #4 - If you are not a spy, NEVER, EVER, pretend to be one and never confess to anything you didn't do.

Are aliens and prophets spies?

That let's Atossa and me off the hook.

Regards

#4 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35753 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

If you are in Russia, you may be watched for awhile.

If you are in America, you are watched all the time.

I'm not sure there is much of a difference anymore.

NSA is the all-seeing eye.

#5 shaktiman

shaktiman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12012 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

If you are in America, you are watched all the time.

Watched? I have an entourage whereever I go.

Didn't help with the pit maneuver though except to get cops there pronto.

Regards

#6 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7617 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

MOSCOW, May 24 (Reuters) - A former U.S. Marine held in Moscow on suspicion of spying said on Friday he had been threatened by a Russian investigator and harassed in custody, accusations that added to strains in U.S.-Russian relations.

Paul Whelan, who holds U.S., British, Canadian and Irish passports, was detained in a Moscow hotel room on Dec. 28 and accused of espionage, a charge he denies. If found guilty, he faces up to 20 years in jail.

Whelan, whose pre-detention was extended until the end of August at a hearing on Friday in Moscow, told reporters he believed the case against him was politically motivated revenge for U.S. sanctions imposed on Russia.

"I have been threatened. My personal safety has been threatened," he said from inside a cage in the courtroom. "There are abuses and harassment that I am constantly subjected to."

Whelan said he not been allowed to shower in two weeks nor granted medical and dental treatment. He said he had not received books or correspondence in two months.

"This is typical prisoner-of-war chapter one isolation technique," he said. "They are trying to run me down so that I talk to them."

Outside the courtroom, U.S. diplomat Michael Yoder told reporters that Whelan's comments were "of grave concern to us."

"I guarantee you we will protest this fact with the Russian government and we will request the opportunity to speak frankly with him about these threats," he said.

Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) detained Whelan after an acquaintance handed him a flash drive containing classified information. Whelan's lawyer says his client thinks he was set up by the acquaintance and the FSB.

Whelan thought the flash drive contained holiday photos, the lawyer has said.

Whelan's brother, David Whelan, said his sibling had been falsely accused, wrongfully detained, and will "continue to be mistreated unless one of the governments of the nations of which he is a citizen intervene on his behalf."

"Paul's defence team has been clear in their communications to us that Paul is being held, and coerced, in order to gain a confession," David Whelan told Reuters in an email.

During Friday's hearing, Whelan asked the court to have FSB investigator Alexei Khizhnyak taken off the case and accused him of "insulting my dignity and threatening my life," the Interfax news agency reported.

The judge told Whelan he only had the right under Russian law to request the replacement of court or prosecuting officials, but not an investigator.

"I understand that but what am I supposed to do if my rights are being violated?" Whelan was quoted as saying.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rule #1 - Never visit Russia while carrying 4 different passports.   Russians are predisposed to be suspicious of Western tourists.

Rule #2 - If you are really a spy, never get caught.

Rule #3 - If you are a spy and are caught, admit it immediately and get traded for another spy. 

#7 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7617 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

Do Americans have rights that nobody else in the world have 

#8 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7617 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

What are these rights that are exclusive to Americans 

#9 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7617 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

Do Americans have rights that nobody else in the world have 

question-mark-background-vector.jpg

#10 grog

grog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7617 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

What are these rights that are exclusive to Americans 

question-mark-background-vector.jpg

#11 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35753 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Everyone, everywhere, has rights according to the UN.   They call them "Human Rights", one of which is a fair trial for people accused of crimes.

The source of these rights are ancient customs, ancient documents such as the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution which serves as a model for the constitutions of other nations as well.  

Russia has a constitution that illustrates some of the rights of Russians, and every Russian should read their own constitution and remember it.

Russian lawyers advise their clients of their rights in Russia, and rather than say "my rights are violated", it is better to be specific and say exactly what rights are being violated.   Americans in a foreign country have whatever rights the foreign country will recognize.   And that's the main reason why Americans should stay out of some foreign countries.

If the Russian intelligence service decides to set up an innocent American for arrest by trickery, that would be a violation of his human rights to a fair trial, not to mention fraud, which it is.   A fraudulent criminal charge is always a violation of rights. 

Edited by Zharkov, 26 May 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#12 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35753 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

Russian law, and Russian constitutional provisions, are only a tiny portion of all the rights that Russians have.  

The same is true in America.   The founders of America intended only a few rights to be included in the constitution and laws of the country, and other rights not written in documents exist along with the ones mentioned in documents and laws.   Every few years, American courts discover entirely new rights that people have, rights that were previously unknown or barely perceived.   The concept of rights arises from a goal of fairness and justice and comes not from the government but from the people themselves and from god, according to America's founders.   Russia, as a country, is not bound by American ideals, of course, but Russians know what is fair and what is not.   If a Russian lawyer thinks a court is being unfair, he has the right to say so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2019 Pravda.Ru