• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

Just a note to warn twitter users that there are some sleazebag law firms monitoring tweets to look for any libel on behalf of political candidates, celebrities, or just ordinary people.   They act as mercenaries, soldiers for hire, looking to start a war in order to find employment.  

They first "follow" every tweet to find anything that could be exaggerated or mistaken about anyone, then contact them to offer to sue on their behalf.   Not that it's happened to me, it hasn't, but it is happening to others on twitter.

The only defense is to block them immediately.   You can block any follower of yours by going to their twitter page, pick any tweet and click on the upper right corner of the tweet, and select "block".  

Otherwise, lawyers begin to compile a dossier of tweets for purposes of showing malice, to overcome the NY Times vs. Sullivan barrier in a libel suit.   It's a good idea to check out your followers as they arrive before that happens.

#2 redline

redline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

any "malice"

truth that hurts.

but you cant fight the battle, because of the cost of the legal system that holds truth hostage by lawyer rates.

Edited by redline, 19 October 2019 - 03:24 PM.

#3 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3110 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

Just as a side note, Infowars has been able to get back on face book. Wonder how much suing that took ?

#4 Ivan88

Ivan88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15759 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

It is always good to be very careful with one's words when speaking/writing in public.  By our words we are condemned or justified.

So, DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK.

#5 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

American lawsuits are terribly expensive to prepare.   The typical cost of pretrial testimony by deposition runs over $1,000/day for the court reporter alone, not including lawyer's fees.   Court filing fees exceed $500.00 per complaint, $250 per motion, $180/day per trial day for the jury, $5,000 for expert witnesses, and probably thousands more for private investigators to find evidence & witnesses.  

Compare that with the cost, $0.00, to restore someone back on Facebook or Twitter.   So if all else fails, one can sue if it matters that much to be on social media.

#6 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

So what happens if some Twitter idiot sues you and can't prove a case?

You can sue him back for malicious prosecution and abuse of process, among other things, but the existence of your case depends on having won the original lawsuit.   Usually lawsuits are settled because neither side really wants to blow money on paperwork and lawyers.   The sooner the lawsuit is settled out of court, the more money you save.   But if the suit was ridiculous to begin with, then going to trial makes sense.

#7 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:08 AM

Some muslim-owned law firms look for anti-Islam tweets or memes to follow, hoping some individual muslim will be libeled, allowing them to sue, thereby causing self-censoring of others using social media.   Having a strong opinion is not libel as long as it's labeled as an opinion or can be easily seen to be an opinion.   Free speech is slowly dying in America and Europe because of stupid laws.   Americans can still mock the Holocaust, hate Jews, or make racist statements that go world-wide, but other people in other countries copying that or even "liking" it can get visits from the police in their country.

My opinion is that no government has any business telling anyone what they cannot say, if that government claims to allow free speech.  

But people still have to live within the laws of their own country if they want to have a hassle-free social media experience.

#8 Atossa

Atossa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44694 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

Nothing can be proven about an individual poster via Facebook, Twitter, etc... simply because once something is posted, it can be later edited/modified by someone other than the original poster.

The irony is... the only ones who might be liable are Facebook and Twitter... both of whom have already provided the public with many examples of their manipulation/censorship of the content posted on their websites.

Here are what may be the two most important words in the world of litigation = Deep Pockets.

Edited by Atossa, 20 October 2019 - 11:08 PM.

#9 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:26 PM

Yes and no.   Yes, anyone can hack your comment and make it libelous, but denying it if you really did post it is difficult because of many other tweets that show similar content.

No, that individuals are generally not worth lawsuits unless they are prominent, public figures, celebrities, or filthy rich.

The problem is that lawyers won't know which you are until they begin discovery after already filing a lawsuit. 

So it gets expensive even if they drop the case later.   It's always better to avoid a war than win one.

Edited by Zharkov, 21 October 2019 - 12:37 AM.

#10 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:33 PM

Just for a laugh, I visited a rural courthouse in a small town in WA state in the year 2000 to see what kind of legal opportunities they had.

I was shocked to see a lawyer executing a money judgement on an old, used 1958 Chevy.  

In California, I wouldn't have wasted my time and my client's money going after some poor guy's old used car.   It's like taking away a homeless guy's tent because he owed someone some money.   There are some things even this lawyer won't do.

I once took a case against a drug dealer in Hollywood, got a $685,000 judgement against him, and the guy went to prison a few weeks later, so we collected nothing.   Lawsuits often end that way.   Justice is done but the client gets screwed, but at least my client didn't get killed.

Edited by Zharkov, 20 October 2019 - 11:35 PM.

#11 Atossa

Atossa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44694 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

I wasn't referring to hackers.

I was actually referring to moderators who work for the website who have the power to edit/alter text in a post at any time after you had posted it. It's happened to me here many times. Also there was another type of moderator function here which auto-changed certain words you typed when the text posted.

Edited by Atossa, 20 October 2019 - 11:48 PM.

#12 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

Any change by a moderator is his or her liability, not yours.   Usually though, the changes are more to prevent liability than to incur any.

Generally, the legal exposure is fairly low in the US because almost everything on social media is presumed opinion by most people on a jury.

Edited by Zharkov, 21 October 2019 - 12:42 AM.

#13 Zharkov

Zharkov

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35895 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:48 AM

Ranting about the Bible and ancient history seems safe enough.   Even comparing political people to old tyrants is safe, unless you live in Turkey, Vietnam, China, Thailand, North Korea, etc.    Free speech doesn't exist in most countries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2019 Pravda.Ru