• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Kraig

Kraig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 03:53 PM

A Brazilian judge furious at U.S. plans to fingerprint and photograph Brazilians entering the United States has ordered Brazil to do the same to U.S. citizens, police said on Tuesday.
The order, set to go into effect on Jan. 1, came after a government office filed a complaint in federal court over the U.S. measure aimed at millions of foreign travelers.
"Unless the court order is contested in the justice system, it will be complied with," said a spokesman for Brazil's Federal Police, the agency overseeing immigration.
Starting Jan. 5, citizens of countries such as Brazil who need a visa to enter the United States will be fingerprinted and photographed when they pass through immigration at major U.S. airports and seaports.
The procedure is meant to identify people who have violated immigration controls, have a criminal record or belong to groups the U.S. government lists as "terrorist" organizations.
The checks will not be carried out against citizens of 27 nations who do not need a visa to enter the United States.
"I consider the act absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis," said Federal Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva in the court order released on Tuesday.
Brazil currently requires U.S. citizens to have a visa when entering the country.

#2 aardvark

aardvark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:05 PM

....citizens of countries such as Brazil who need a visa to enter the United States will be fingerprinted and photographed when they pass through immigration...

"I consider the act absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis," said Federal Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva

--------

Right. Like Nazis. This reminds me of the time Homer Simpson is called "worse than Hitler" for smoking in a public building. The lack of a sense of proportion among the anti-W herd of independent minds is frightening. Reminds me of "Jenin-grad". Why not describe the latest car-bombing in Baghdad as "Bagasaki" or "Bagashima"?

#3 Kraig

Kraig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:12 PM

The interesting thing is that Brazil is not a "terrorist state", since it has no ties with terrorist organizations, have a quite similar culture with the USA and never had any of its citizens linked to any terrorsit activity.

Even the US had the so called american taliban......

Why do we deserve such treatment?

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:18 PM

First reply they are called the usual, "anti".

Sad how blind most Americans allow themselves to be.

They will pay the final price for their selective blindness one day.

Owl

#5 former marine

former marine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:20 PM

because most terrorist dont make there entry into the us from their country of record but they do come in from so called friendly countries of the US.

i am ok with being fingerprinted and having my photo taken when traveling to other countries. if it is what it takes to keep people safe i am for it

#6 aardvark

aardvark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:32 PM

Neither Kraig nor Owl choose to comment on the "like Nazis" hyperbole that is such a staple of antiwar opinion. How about "Camp Guantanablinka"? "X-Beria gulag"? Remember "Baghdadograd"? Isn't it Creepy that a Brazilian federal judge (named de Silva, surprisingly enough) produces a statement like " worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis" for requiring non-citizens to be fingerprinted?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:40 PM

It is one mans opinion. To he77 with his opinion. What he thinks matters not one iota to me.

But you simply call him anti in the usual American fashion today.

Maybe he is simply pizzed off and fed up with Bush and saying things stronger then he normally would.

Most of the world is pizzed off with Bush and think of him as an aspiring Hitler like creature. He will be too if allowed to continue unstopped.

My own biggest fear in all this is for America/Americans. I fear one day they will wake up to find themselves herded like cattle, and it will be too late then to stop it.

Laugh all you want, but people outside America are not blinded by Bush hiding behind his loyalty trump card like Americans are...Owl

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:42 PM

i am ok with being fingerprinted and having my photo taken when traveling to other countries. if it is what it takes to keep people safe i am for it

Former Marine..I bet you are a nice white guy , aren't you..Owl

#9 GiBi

GiBi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:47 PM

I've read something on a certain three-border problem, with a high number of Arab "tourists" with European passports, not even speaking one word of the language of the passport's country.
Or of the chief of immigration in Venezuela, who is an Arab immigrant with a militant past, currenltly driving the immigration policy in well known directions; Venezuela has many interchanges with Brasil, for what I understand.
By the other side, do USA object to fingerprinting their citiziens arriving in Brasil?
GiBi

#10 former marine

former marine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:52 PM

Former Marine..I bet you are a nice white guy , aren't you..Owl

well i dont know about nice but yeah i am white so what?

#11 Kraig

Kraig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:02 PM

Well said Owl. You have captured quite right the non USA citizens feelings.

I would have said "non americans feelings" but brazilians are also americans.

Making things unconfortable to others undiscrimately is not the best way to make friends and allies. Unfortunately for the US I don't think that fingerprinting anyone will ever made them safer. Is just a matter of turning others lives miserable (taking off shoes, delaying their depart, checking their personal stuff....).

The problem with a war on terror is that terrorists can wait years for attack again. They have all the time and will make their enemies waste a lot of money to believe in safety.

Such a war is not fought with guns. It requires a whole new way to deal with. The US should be investing in make others lives less miseareble, more hopefull and act in a gallant way to earn admiration and cooperation worldwide.
Just follow the opposite direction you are going in.

GiBi: Brazilian "arabs" are as much hard workers than any of the US "arab" community already stablished in the US. How about the "arabs" living in europe? They should not be suspicious of anything.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:03 PM

If you were non white you could see lots wrong with it..Owl

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:11 PM

How many terrorists who enter America in order to wreck havoc will be caught by fingerprinting everyone.

People with no records will come now, and printing will simply anger everyone, cause delays, and catch no one.

Are Americans so stupid to think groups wont act according to how easiet to do the job.

Anyone without a record, and there will be lots of them in terrorist camps today since Bush has pizzed off the world, will be the one pulling off any terrorist actions in America.

Fingerprinting will do what??? Nothing except give the powers to be a huge boondoggle of prints that will grow beyond their ability to keep track of anyone properly in time.

It serves no purpose in safety, but it does start the process of keeping track of citizens. That process will grow and Americans will eventually be watched by big brother twenty four seven, while most of the world simply avoids your country.

In time it affects only American privacy, and Washington knows it...Owl

#14 former marine

former marine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:14 PM

owl i have lived in countries where i was the minority and you know what i could have cared less. i did get worse treatment but i didnt care

so no i could be other than white and be ok with it

#15 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:19 PM

Judging from your comments, I certainly hope you don't work in law enforcement Owl. With such naive views, I would be amazed if you held a job at all.

#16 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:24 PM

The UK can do what it likes, it is a sovereign country too (at least, for the forseeable five-year future). I would, in fact, prefer it for the UK, since they have historically a large influx of the 'profile' (here come the racism remarks) that is causing the current problems. However, the UK is not affected by the US decision, since a visa is not required for entry. Putting such restrictions on US citizens would be a rather brash political statement, not a security measure.

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:30 PM

Hopefully then you Americans will understand when every country adopts this plan and you are printed everywhere you go.

Maybe it can be expanded in the homeland so you can be fingerprinted as you holiday driving State to State.

That eventually is where it will lead to.

But since you dont mind, I gues it's okay...

Talk about naive, you Americans are either living in lala land, or plain stupid, or all getting checks from Bush..Owl

#18 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:32 PM

Where exactly did this mention US citizens? I think it said NON-CITIZENS, specifically those from countries THAT REQUIRE VISAS FOR ENTRY. Take your conspiracy theories and shove 'em where the sun don't shine, they are baseless.

#19 former marine

former marine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:33 PM

why should i care i have nothing to hide so fingerprint away. hell i dont care if they take DNA samples from me like i said i dont have anything to hide.

havent had anything to hide since i was a kid and put the playboys under the matress

#20 former marine

former marine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:45 PM

euro,

i guess that is where we differ in opinion. you wouldnt like it i wouldnt care, they can have a picture of my arse on file if they want who cares.

i had finger prints on file since i went into the marine corps and also on file with the fbi from the time i worked the sheriff's deptment.

like i said i could care less

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2020 Pravda.Ru