• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

In 1948, the princely state of kashmir legally acceded to India under an agreement brokered between india and pakistan, by
the british.

Pakistan violated that agreement by invading kashmir with islamic extremists.

In 1949, the UN brokered a ceasefire calling for a plebescite to decide the fate of the state.

In 1971, Pakistan and india signed the Simla agreement, which superceded the UN resolutions, annulled the plebiscite and called for a resolution of the dispute outside the UN through a direct dialogue between India and Pakistan

today, the UN resolutions have been rendered irrelevant by another agreement, the simla agreement signed by both india
and pakistan in 1971..

In the 90's Pakistan again sent waves of taliban and al qaeda to capture kashmir from India.

In brief, Kashmir legally acceded to India. Only the modalities of its transfer to India need to be sorted out through
direct talks between India and Pakistan.

#2 grob

grob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4579 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 08:50 PM

Well considering Pakistan cant take it by force why bother?

#3 BigDave

BigDave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 02:21 AM

This differs significantly from the version that I had always heard. It was that the agreement was that the people of each state would vote for India or Pakistan. In the case of Kashmir the ruler, whatever title he had, was Hindu but a majority of the population were Moslem so India broke the previous agreement and decided to annex Kashmir based only on the vote of its previous ruler.
I do not remember where I heard this but it was a long long time ago. I would be interested in seeing references to the other version which is mentioned here.

It is quite easy to lose track of things like this so I would not feel too bad if someone did show me where this other version came from.

It is a tragedy that this has been allowed to run on for so long. There must have been thousands of people killed over this and probably tens or hundreds of thousands had their lives totally disrupted by the long series of wars, rebellions, raids, etc that this dispute has caused. It appears that this dispute and the related nuclear weapons programs have totally disrupted the economies of both countries.

#4 vigorous

vigorous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 02:30 AM

A Paki acquaintance of mine said that whichever
of India or Pakistan gets whatever jurisdiction there
the Kashmiris are so ornery they will find a way to
make governing the place next to impossible or at
the very least, quite difficult.

#5 grob

grob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4579 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 02:46 AM

The British said each state has the right to join which ever country or no country.

The talibans invaded Kashmir and both India and Pakistan waited until the ruler decided. At which point the Indians drove the talibans half way through at which point the British allowed the Pakistan army to invade and the UN called a cease fire and said throw in a plebescite to the people to decide. Which was not in the original agreement. Soon both countries invaded all the left over states and annexed them as well.

Both countries committed great number of atrocities since half the people supported the other country. They really do not want to join either country but that is not an option.

Anyone who controls Kashmir control the sub Continent and most of s.e Asia as well and I am sure even the Chinese want in since they annexed 1/3rd of it as well. So 1/3 is Pakistan, 1/3 is India and 1/3 is china.

#6 Agnostic

Agnostic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9978 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 04:39 AM

The truth is that everybody screws the Kashmiris in the bargain - the Chinese, the Pakistanis, and the Indians. Islam can never be the common factor because the Islam followed by the Kashmiris is different from that followed in India and Pakistan.

Everybody owns a portion of Kashmir except the Kashmiris themselves. The Hindu Kashmiris were driven out under a genocidal program. Just google " Panun Kashmir" and see the results.

#7 fern

fern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:26 AM

at 1947-1950, India was consolidated as an immutable entity. India is a place where all types of people exist from those looking like Chinese to those looking like Westerners etc. This is because of a long history of civilisation. That is why India has always been a source of temptation for foreigners to invade or have relations with. There are those foreigners who specifically utilise the diversity of India to create division, ignorant that such tactics were born in India, and hence, the counter-tactics has also been created. India respects the boundaries of other countries as also their culture. Whatever any country tries by financing the gullible local Indians, like for example, the Kashmiris, the Punjabis, The Tamilians, the Assamese, will be crushed. This is because of the patriotism we have and have always had.

#8 grob

grob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4579 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:38 AM

Kashmir should be part of Iran. If Bangladesh can be a part of Pakistan then surely it is not out of the question..

Oh some guy calling himself dakbengla posts in the news section but he got pissed because I asked him why he was not selling gas to India but was selling it to Americans who actually sent arms to stop them getting liberated. He got pissed off, yelling a fee things and left. I had no idea they felt that way. No paki I know hates India like that. They just feel inferior thats all.

#9 fern

fern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 03:19 PM

grab,

Pakistanis need not have any complex as they anyway beat India more in Cricket.

the time is ripe for Pakistanis to identify themselves. They have an unique of combination of Islam and ancient India. what pisses off them is the fatherly attitude of Indians in recent times by the Hindutva. Pakistan cannot drop the dual identity with the middle-east and India. They have infact taken a very huge step forward by being willing to talk and what they will not want is to be taught by Indians in fatherly attitude of a regional power. what Indians can gain from the summit is peace leading to prosperity. what Pakistan can gain is a definition of it's identity and also settling of a stable democracy. Both Indians and Pakistanis should "never act violently with haste over any terrorist acts" as it is likely to happen, until a way is found to stabilise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2020 Pravda.Ru